Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 622 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:00 AM »
More on the stat squish, which appears to be more of an ilvl squish/readjustment/normalization:
http://www.wowhead.com/news=275408/blizzcon-2017-battle-for-azeroth-item-level-changes-and-stat-squish
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
No random-drop legendaries in the next expansion.  Some of the customization aspects of legendaries will reappear in the Azerite-customized equipment slots, but it won't be RNG-driven.  Warforged/titanforged will still be a thing, but won't apply to the Azerite-customized slots.  (I still don't know very much about Azerite customization or what slots it applies to.)

https://www.wowhead.com/news=275473/battle-for-azeroth-legendaries-and-titanforging

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I'm somewhat blah on the class buffs returning.  I saw it coming since they were like "Yeah, we went too far with bring the player, not the class" ....but I honestly really liked in the normal/heroic tier it really didn't matter what Tank/DPS/Healer slots you brought as long as everyone enjoyed the class they had.  I also felt like they did a good job with spreading unique resources to make classes feel unique to play even if they weren't bringing something like that.  (Most of these are all in the passive "Everyone does more X" anyway, which are fundamentally uninteresting and just add pressure to spread classes out)

I *still* think it will be the case that normal/heroic won't need to worry about this, but I feel like it will put some unnatural pressure on certain people to play the buff that's missing rather than what they'd have fun playing.

Mythic will definitely need to do this, but I'm way more okay with that.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2017, 01:05:36 PM »
....but I honestly really liked in the normal/heroic tier it really didn't matter what Tank/DPS/Healer slots you brought as long as everyone enjoyed the class they had.

I know that at least one member of TRR had trouble finding a class/role combination that satisfied both the player and the raid, and with the changes to Hunter class I contributed way less than I'd have liked to.  (In my case, they did too good a job of differentiating the three specs, so when it turned out I sucked at MM I wasn't comfortable switching to BM.)

Even if they give half the classes buffs with identical effects, it will improve my game play experience.  I get warm fuzzies from being useful to the raid, so putting another little square on everyone's buff list is an easy way to make me happy.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2017, 02:07:00 PM »
I enjoy bringing needed buffs to a group -- it makes me feel useful even if I'm having an off-day too, Heidi! But it's definitely frustrating as far as building teams goes. But it might help me when it comes time to picking a main next expansion too.

It looks like all the buffs so far are only provided by a single class, and that all specs of that class provide the same buffs. There's no known party buff for shamans yet, and it's unclear if hunters will be able to contribute missing buffs with pets again.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2017, 03:42:55 PM »
Here's Wowhead's coverage of the Q&A
http://www.wowhead.com/news=275490/blizzcon-2017-world-of-warcraft-q-a

Confirmed that the current legendary system won't be continuing into 8.0.

6 New character slots per server.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 04:00:07 PM by Honorata »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2017, 05:42:52 PM »
Most classes aren't getting huge talent overhauls (at least so far), but some differences were noted in the classes available for demo at Blizzcon. For example, elemental shaman's talent Lightning Rod is being replaced by their current artifact ability Stormkeeper.

Here's a list: http://www.wowhead.com/news=275485/all-the-new-battle-for-azeroth-talents-and-calculator-now-live

Kudger

• Adjective Noun Friend
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2017, 05:47:56 PM »
I'm intrigued by some of the news from this expansion. I agree that the faction war is pretty terribly presented but too many fans are married to their faction's identity so I don't think Blizzard can/will ever get rid of it. If done right it might still be salvageable, especially if they get rid of the whole "we must unite for the greater good" plot device that first came about in WCIII and that they've re-used every expansion since WotLK.

I'm really curious what the driver was behind getting rid of true "always on" PvP servers. I suspect either sub numbers so low they need to put everyone in the same pool or sub numbers on PvP servers so low that they're being done away with?

Honestly though, I'm not sure where WoW goes after this next expansion. If we beat both Azshara and Zandalar, and the faction war comes to a climax, what's left? Whenever I think about the void lords I have an image of the raid being in giant Gnomish/Goblin mech suits in outer space and the void lords are flinging old gods at us like baseballs.   

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2017, 07:00:46 PM »
My suspicion is that the PvP server changes are a predecessor to connecting more servers. Not necessarily due to low sub numbers, but because people are continuing to consolidate on a few mega servers. (ie. I know a few people who have quit entirely, but more who have left ER for WrA or MG)
« Last Edit: November 04, 2017, 07:13:32 PM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 07:07:18 PM »
We'll get six more per-server character slots with the new expansion due to allied races.  (That will mark the first time they've bumped the number of slots due to new races as opposed to new classes, and the first time they've bumped it by more than one.)

We will also be able to expand the base backpack size "slightly" if we use an authenticator.  For aesthetic reasons, I hope this is four more slots, but I bet it will be just two.

To answer Kudger: I don't think they need to eliminate the PvP server distinction based on subs.  There are still a lot of server clusters they could combine, and populations haven't declined significantly based on public numbers.  (For example, in this post from August 2014 I noted that realmpop.com had Earthen Ring at 91K population, and today it has it at 198K.  It's possible that their methodology has changed, I guess.)  realmpop.com also believes that 40% of US players are on PvP servers.  I think the reason they gave is probably the correct one: that the current rule set doesn't work now that you can just group finder over to a PvE realm.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=275490/blizzcon-2017-world-of-warcraft-q-a-more-character-slots-larger-backpack-upright

Kudger

• Adjective Noun Friend
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 11:04:30 PM »
That would make sense, Marco. I still think Blizzard is being driven by a desire to pool everyone together, whether that be due to a decline in subs or them considering the server distinction obsolete at this point (maybe both?).

I think it's more than simply because of group finder making it easy to go over to PvE; maybe they're also becoming more concerned about the predatory behavior of ganking lower lvl toons at choke points such as the dark portal in Outland, especially since this expansion is the first since Cata address the lower leveling experience.

I tip my hat to the current devs for not being afraid to shake things up, that's for sure.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 12:31:50 AM »
Some preliminary ability changes for BFA based on stuff from the Blizzcon demo: http://www.wowhead.com/news=275396/battle-for-azeroth-class-ability-changes-on-the-demo-floor

* There are a good amount of tank spell tweaks. I can't parse if these indicate a particular design direction in re: tanking because I don't tank, but that's the specs that seem to have the most changes thus far.
* Return of a few pruned spells: Soothe, Hibernate, Tranq Shot
* Looks like their current plan is to overall nerf AOE Stuns. Leg Sweep, Mind Bomb, Cap totem, etc. all have reduced stun duration in this list.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 12:35:58 AM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: November 05, 2017, 07:50:29 AM »
Gleaned from an interview: there are no plans to have a follower mechanic (as in garrison or order hall missions) in the next expansion, as there isn't a compelling hook for it in the story.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKhGEj3-y8o (about 4:35 in)

ETA: there's also some discussion about world PvP.  One possible driver for the changes is that each faction has its own new continent, but world quests will take you to the other faction's continent.  That might not be a good experience on a PvP server under the current rule set, but could be a cool experience with PvP opted into if things work differently.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2017, 07:56:53 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #28 on: November 05, 2017, 08:55:56 AM »
There may be a great description of the Heart of Azeroth / Azerite system, but I haven't found it.  In this interview there was a short verbal description.  What I took away from it:

* The Heart of Azeroth is itself an amulet; the upgrade system applies to helm, shoulders, and chest.

* Each item in those slots will have four "circles" (think talent rows) of abilities, where the circles are progressively unlocked as you level up your amulet.

* The abilities will be handcrafted and fixed per item name, not randomized like the Netherlight Crucible.  Better items will have more powerful abilities.  (Recall that these slots cannot be warforged/titanforged.)

* These slots can still hold tier gear (the Blizzard person mentioned tier shoulders as a possible item you might have in that slot), so they're not doing anything so dramatic as doing away with tier sets or taking head/shoulders/chest away from the tier slots.

No mention of whether you can respec an item.  It also sounded like the first circle might specialize an item into damage, healing, or tanking, in which case we might lose the ability to use a single set of tier gear and have it be equally good for all specs.   On the flip side, we will only have a single Heart of Azeroth, not a separate one for each spec as we do with artifact weapons.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4lslLXhzrw (about 6:25 in)
« Last Edit: November 15, 2017, 01:10:15 PM by Marco »

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 05, 2017, 08:57:38 AM »
So they've said the whole amulet/azerite armor thing is where some of the legendary stuff is going to live, and probably some of the artifact stuff, but for a lot of classes the artifact included a pretty important rotational ability that I can't imagine just dropping cold turkey the instant we fire this thing up.

IE: Assassination and Kingsbane.  Kingsbane is one of your biggest sources of damage and maximizing it is kind of the fun part of assassination right now.  I wonder if some of those just...become part of the class.  (It's what I'd assume anyway, just coming up with some lore'ish reason why the ability is no longer tied to the artifact)