Author Topic: Battle for Azeroth  (Read 5763 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Battle for Azeroth
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2018, 07:08:48 AM »
It has seemed to me like WoW developers regretted putting crafting into the game and have done things every expansion to make it harder/worse/less relevant. At least for the past five or so years...

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2018, 07:25:11 AM »
It has seemed to me like WoW developers regretted putting crafting into the game and have done things every expansion to make it harder/worse/less relevant. At least for the past five or so years...

I think they have a weird love/hate relationship with it.

To one extent, they like how it drives folks to go collect materials and wander the current content.  They like people going and collecting recipes.
They like how it can sort of provide a path to some catch-up gear for leveling.
They seem to actively like consumables (alchemy, enchanting, cooking).

To the other extent, they don't like it as a way to get relevant gear.  They don't want to make normal gearing paths irrelevant.  They've had multiple times when they've accidentally made a crafted piece disproportionately good, which they don't like.  And by default, they want to not make crafting required for anyone.

Personally I treat crafting recipes a lot like pets - I try to collect them all, but rarely use them.

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2018, 01:26:24 PM »
New item in latest build:
Pineapple Pizza: Use: Restores no health, and reduces Stamina by 5% for 30 sec.  (1 sec cooldown).  "Just terrible."

For once, a realistic item. :)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #123 on: March 19, 2018, 03:39:53 PM »
A lot of people must be doing the Alpha even I have got it.

From first play Beast Master hunter feel unfinished, Arcane mage feels a lot more done.
Andius (Hunter 11),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 112)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #124 on: April 05, 2018, 07:02:16 AM »
The release date for BfA will be August 14.  There's a new short trailer for it at the first link below, but it's not a big cinematic piece like we got in the Blizzcon reveal.  Asked when the prepatch would be, Ion's answer was (wowhead paraphrase): "Pre-patch is likely a few weeks before the actual expansion, similar to past expansion schedules. Ion said not to quote him directly on this, nothing is official."

This puts the total alpha+beta time for BfA at 189 days, shorter than Legion (281) and Warlords (224).  Mists had a beta period of 188 days and no alpha period.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/21669948/battle-for-azeroth-arrives-august-14
https://www.wowhead.com/news=283326/bfa-press-event-talanji-cinematic-8-0-pre-patch-maghar-and-dark-iron-unlock-sche
« Last Edit: April 05, 2018, 07:37:51 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #125 on: April 05, 2018, 08:01:25 AM »
The press event Q+A was a whole lot of the usual "that's an interesting question, and we can't talk about that except to repeat things we've already said," but there was this interesting tidbit from the wowhead summary of an interview with Jeremy Feasel:
When you unlock the Islands feature by completing the War Campaign, it will also unlock for all of your alts. If you want to level up your alts by doing Islands, they will let you.
So similarly to how we can level alts in legion invasions now, it sounds like we will be able to level alts using islands in BfA.  I would guess that this will be restricted to the lowest difficulty and there will be level scaling like Legion has for normal-mode dungeons.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=283330/battle-for-azeroth-muffinus-interview-island-expeditions-wrathion

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #126 on: April 17, 2018, 06:03:06 PM »
Warfronts were tested for the first time today, giving people a sense of what they will be like.  They were really laggy and enemies would sometimes evade and people who leave the group weren't replaced and (given all of those things) there were too many attacking alliance waves to make progress, but the general shape of the system is clear.  (If you don't remember what Warfronts are, they are 20-player PvE scenarios where you fight against enemy faction NPCs, which will be available to one faction at a time while the other faction gathers resources to enable it on their side.)

Essentially: you spawn on an attacking ship and establish a foothold on one side of the map.  From there you can capture a lumberyard and a mine, allowing your team to gather wood and iron which is used to build and upgrade structures.  Individual players contribute resources towards goals to control the order of upgrades.  The general effect of these upgrades is to send more and stronger NPC troops out of your base towards the enemy base, making it easier to take map objectives and eventually the enemy base.  So, sort of like a versus-AI MOBA with twenty players.

Most of the feedback I saw was positive despite the poor play conditions.  There is some concern that the novelty might wear off quickly, especially as people gear up.  I suspect Blizzard's answer to that will be to add new warfronts in odd-numbered patches, with each new one tuned for the current average gear level.  Also, the system seems self-tuning to a point: if your team outgears the scenario, it can push further without waiting for upgrades, but will encounter more resistance as you won't have as much NPC support.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=283632/battle-for-azeroth-stromgarde-warfronts-testing

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #127 on: April 24, 2018, 04:38:48 PM »
Blizzard announced the transition from alpha to beta test today, and did a character wipe on the test realms.  That leaves 112 days for beta testing, which is actually two more than Legion had.  (Of course the pre-patch systems have to be ready a few weeks sooner, as always.)  There has been a big push to add content to the alpha realms in the last few weeks, and they seem to be much closer to having a full-featured test now.

A couple of random things I wanted to note:

* There's a new in-game voice chat system, which I believe actually works this time.  I noticed that when I joined a group for a warfront, it asked me if I wanted to join the group voice chat; I assume that also applies to dungeon finder groups, LFR, island expeditions, etc..  This is a potential game-changer for matchmade groups; whether that change is good or bad remains to be seen.  You can always say no, of course, and I don't expect there to be a lot of pressure to use voice chat in matchmade groups.

* Bay from finalboss.tv has been doing a series of first-pass videos where he goes over each spec, how it has changed, and what he thinks the talent builds are likely to be.  There are of course likely to be more changes, especially in the numbers (and more than that to unholy/frost DKs and prot warriors according to a blue post), but these are really nice in-depth looks at how talents interact with each other and what gameplay will be like in different builds.  I believe he typically does a second pass closer to release.

https://www.youtube.com/user/finalbosswow/videos
https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20762097798#1

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #128 on: May 13, 2018, 10:49:00 AM »
Some PvP stuff, accumulated since a lot of us don't care much about PvP:

* If you have war mode enabled, in addition to getting to use your four PvP talents all the time in world content, you will get +15% experience and +10% world quest rewards.  This sort of means the "right" way to level quickly on day one is with war mode enabled, as there won't be many opposing-faction players on your faction's continent yet.  (Even after that, see this experiment Taliesin did about ganking, concluding that you're not going to get quickly killed by a max-level opponent).

* Stat templates in instanced PvP are gone.  Instead, when players attack other players, internal scaling magic will compress the relative power differences in gear, so that big item level differences will convey much smaller power differentials than they would in PvE.  This will also apply in world PvP.  Getting healing to work properly in this model seems challenging; they didn't talk about that.

* Acquiring gear from PvP will be more deterministic; there will be a conquest bar that you fill up, and each week there will be a specific item slot that you get gear in from filling up the bar, ending with weapon.  If you miss a week there is a catch-up mechanic; I didn't understand the details.  Conquest can be obtained from world PvP as well as BGs and stuff.

* If you kill a lot of enemy players in world PvP, you will get a bounty placed on your head (for conquest points, I think), and everyone will be able to see where you are on the map.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 10:58:53 AM by Marco »

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #129 on: May 13, 2018, 03:42:37 PM »
It sounds like Honor Points are being replaced by Conquest Points. Does this mean if people want current Prestige PvP rewards, they might want to start grinding before the expansion?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #130 on: May 13, 2018, 06:56:32 PM »
It sounds like Honor Points are being replaced by Conquest Points.
No, I think conquest points are an addition, not a replacement.  You can't have the same currency (or counter) track both prestige rewards and current-season PvP gear rewards.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #131 on: May 15, 2018, 09:47:01 PM »
The latest beta build added a Brutosaur mount, which looks a bit like a brontosaurus, costs five million gold, and has an auctioneer NPC on its back.

While the last super-expensive mount (the spider) was intended more as a reward for gold-making than as a gold sink according to Blizzard, this one may sponge a fair amount of gold out of the economy given how well the perk matches the target audience.  See this thread for reactions from people into that side of the game.

Unlike the spider mount, the mount shape may not be unique--there are other datamined recolors, which may or may not be used for mounts.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=284417/battle-for-azeroth-build-26624-new-mounts-and-pets
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 07:16:13 AM by Marco »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #132 on: May 20, 2018, 08:16:06 PM »
So I've been leveling in beta with War Mode enabled. I'm playing Horde to try to minimize how burned out I get on content, so I can't really give Alliance specifics.

- On beta, the Warmode buff says you get +6 bonus Honor for killing opposing faction players, and +30 bonus Honor for killing opposing faction Assassins (not sure if Horde will have the same term here.) Killing 10 opposing faction players without dying will turn you into an assassin, giving you +15% damage and healing, but making you tasty for Honor for the opposing faction.

- Scaling/PvP damage seems slightly off. I was killed in three hits without escaping the stun from a rogue a level below me, but a 120 enhancement shaman tried to gank me when I was 117 and I kicked his ass. So???

- As part of the leveling experience (unrelated to War Mode) you will do a War Campaign for your faction, and this will involve setting up bases on the opposing faction's islands (one per zone). This and neutral flight masters are where you're going to see the most action from the opposing faction while leveling.

- It's really hard to tell what kind of population you'll see after the opposing faction starts getting its first 120s because right now there are some necessary quests to unlock WQs that are temporarily down so there are a lot of 120s who haven't been able to unlock WQs yet on beta.

- War Mode is SO GOOD for leveling. Two zones got me within half a level of 120, and I skipped quite a few sidequests.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2018, 08:18:37 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #133 on: May 21, 2018, 05:51:48 AM »
Seems to me War Mode is a bit too good, the reward for being in War Mode should be being able to do open world PvP not get better rewards from doing PvE while hoping not to be PvP'ed.

Edit: I hope the XP gains are not balanced around being in  War Mode. Leveling in the beta is faster than it is going to be once it goes live (I believe they have done this in pasted betas?)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 05:55:38 AM by **andius »
Andius (Hunter 11),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 112)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #134 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:14 AM »
Seems to me War Mode is a bit too good, the reward for being in War Mode should be being able to do open world PvP not get better rewards from doing PvE while hoping not to be PvP'ed.
I believe there are plenty of people who agree with you on the forums, but I think that design position would lead to almost no one enabling war mode, whereas the goal is that people who can at least tolerate world PvP will enable war mode and see if they enjoy it.  MMO players sometimes need to be led by the nose.

Edit: I hope the XP gains are not balanced around being in  War Mode. Leveling in the beta is faster than it is going to be once it goes live (I believe they have done this in pasted betas?)
There have occasionally been XP adjustments late in the beta process but as far as I recall it does not happen often or as a matter of course.  I would not expect Blizzard to balance XP gains around war mode, in the sense that there should be plenty of quest content (even ignoring many side quests) to level from 110 to 120 without rest state, and it shouldn't take longer than we are used to.