Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 82028 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:12 AM »
Another month another reset. As expected I didn't play as many games, but I did manage a very good win rate going 22-13 - almost 63%.  After reset I'm three stars into 20, a whole one star's improvement over last month.

Fortunately, the game is diverging more so I'm likely to keep playing. I just wish the grind wasn't as steep.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #751 on: September 14, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
Interesting (to me at least) theorycraft video from Kibler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIdjUWilfk0

He's talking about the state of Hearthstone design and how, even though the meta right now is pretty diverse and there are some good rock-paper-scissors type balances being seen, they've painted themselves into a bad corner. In particular, the upgraded hero powers are severely crushing the space for two-drop minions. Mostly that's the odd/even powers, plus a couple of the DK-hero powers that make those cards so desirable. The big difference being that in some games you get your DK and its power and sometimes you don't. Whereas with Genn/Baku you always have that magic button that is so OP and makes games so much the same.

It's an interesting line of thought, but I think it's really idle speculation. I can't see Blizzard changing either Genn/Baku or their generated powers, so you're going to go into pretty much every game against a rogue, warrior, or paladin knowing what is coming, at least until these things rotate out.

He also calls the Rogue quest "the cockroach of Hearthstone" which almost caused me to do a real spit-take.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #752 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
Since this is the thread where I talk to myself I'll toot my own horn a bit - I got my first gold hero today (hunter) on the same day I hit 15 again. It's been an insane month so far, at 22-8. I can't remember having a win percentage that high since I started tracking.

Two factors, I think, play into it. I've only played one ranked deck this month and nearly all of last. I've played a couple variants on it, and I tech cards in/out based on what I expect to see; e.g. I put in more anti-aggro cards near the end of the month because people switch to playing faster decks in order to get more games done before the cycle ends. In past months I've rotated decks due to boredom and I've often suffered long losing streaks after doing so. I don't think I'm getting more skilled in general, but I'm getting more skilled at playing this deck. Knowing the opponent's class I pretty much know how I'm going to deal with his options and what I need to do to beat him. I have traded off playing the crazy burst version for the consistently stronger early game version. But it's still recruit hunter.

Second, I've played the vast majority of my games so far on my lunch hour. I can't tell if I'm seeing less skilled/experienced players at that hour of the day or if I'm just in better mental shape. I lean toward the former, as I can clearly recall misplays on my part that should have cost me games but somehow my opponent did not capitalize on them. I can't come up with a logical reason why the playerbase would be worse at this particular time of day, though.