Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 85127 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #750 on: September 01, 2018, 04:37:12 AM »
Another month another reset. As expected I didn't play as many games, but I did manage a very good win rate going 22-13 - almost 63%.  After reset I'm three stars into 20, a whole one star's improvement over last month.

Fortunately, the game is diverging more so I'm likely to keep playing. I just wish the grind wasn't as steep.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #751 on: September 14, 2018, 09:47:10 AM »
Interesting (to me at least) theorycraft video from Kibler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIdjUWilfk0

He's talking about the state of Hearthstone design and how, even though the meta right now is pretty diverse and there are some good rock-paper-scissors type balances being seen, they've painted themselves into a bad corner. In particular, the upgraded hero powers are severely crushing the space for two-drop minions. Mostly that's the odd/even powers, plus a couple of the DK-hero powers that make those cards so desirable. The big difference being that in some games you get your DK and its power and sometimes you don't. Whereas with Genn/Baku you always have that magic button that is so OP and makes games so much the same.

It's an interesting line of thought, but I think it's really idle speculation. I can't see Blizzard changing either Genn/Baku or their generated powers, so you're going to go into pretty much every game against a rogue, warrior, or paladin knowing what is coming, at least until these things rotate out.

He also calls the Rogue quest "the cockroach of Hearthstone" which almost caused me to do a real spit-take.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #752 on: September 18, 2018, 06:04:04 PM »
Since this is the thread where I talk to myself I'll toot my own horn a bit - I got my first gold hero today (hunter) on the same day I hit 15 again. It's been an insane month so far, at 22-8. I can't remember having a win percentage that high since I started tracking.

Two factors, I think, play into it. I've only played one ranked deck this month and nearly all of last. I've played a couple variants on it, and I tech cards in/out based on what I expect to see; e.g. I put in more anti-aggro cards near the end of the month because people switch to playing faster decks in order to get more games done before the cycle ends. In past months I've rotated decks due to boredom and I've often suffered long losing streaks after doing so. I don't think I'm getting more skilled in general, but I'm getting more skilled at playing this deck. Knowing the opponent's class I pretty much know how I'm going to deal with his options and what I need to do to beat him. I have traded off playing the crazy burst version for the consistently stronger early game version. But it's still recruit hunter.

Second, I've played the vast majority of my games so far on my lunch hour. I can't tell if I'm seeing less skilled/experienced players at that hour of the day or if I'm just in better mental shape. I lean toward the former, as I can clearly recall misplays on my part that should have cost me games but somehow my opponent did not capitalize on them. I can't come up with a logical reason why the playerbase would be worse at this particular time of day, though.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #753 on: September 20, 2018, 03:31:57 AM »
With this week's brawl the new Frozen Throne promo went live. Lots of cards at half price. You can also get 300 gold for playing X cards from that expansion and then another 300 for five brawl wins. The brawl starts you with a DK and then an apparently completely random deck. I found that frustrating. As you'd expect, mage and warlock are dominating.

Interestingly, the exercise of trying to make a deck with mostly FT cards convinced me I didn't want to buy the promo. The expansion, other than the DKs and a handful of other things, has been superseded. Druid is going to be hurt badly when it rotates out, losing the DK plus its best anti-aggro and ultimate spells, and probably hunter. Everyone else is going to shrug.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #754 on: September 20, 2018, 10:13:46 AM »
I got my first gold hero today

Wow, I hadn't realized just how much more I play than you do.  I have 4 golden heroes and I solidly on my way to warlock.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2018, 12:55:23 PM by Cree »
Cree (Dr 120) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 37) Adali (DH 112)

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #755 on: September 20, 2018, 02:08:03 PM »
I got my first gold hero today

Wow, I hadn't realized just how much more I play than you do.  I have 4 golden heroes and I solidly on my way to warlock.
Hmmm, hate to say it but I got my ninth hero to gold a few months ago. It has been my focus since the game first came out and as such I have played very little arena (280 wins in arena vs 5000 wins in ranked).

The downside is now that I have achieved that objective, my playing time has falling off dramatically. I need to find something to focus on. I thought about trying to make legend but that requires a substantial amount of time in one month. So, playing more WoW for now. :)
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #756 on: September 21, 2018, 05:19:57 AM »
I play mostly casual, secondarily Arena (except when I'm saving up for an expansion) and third Standard. I also bore easily with the same deck and it's been a rare situation where one hero has had more than one viable ranked deck. Mostly I play a few games to do my quest for the day and then... maybe a game or two at lunchtime. At ~50 ranked games/month it's a long time for any one hero, never mind spreading it around.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #757 on: November 01, 2018, 04:29:31 AM »
An unusual Hearthstone month for me. I started off with an insane 9-0 win streak, which got me up to level 15. Still using my preferred hunter deck. Once I got to the 'can't lose stars' level I figured "Hey, maybe I'll fool around with some other decks.' My closest-to-gold next hero is warlock so I started playing some Zoo. Tweaked it a bit, not too far off the popular "lots of healing" zoolock.

Still, there's a WoW expansion and some other bits of my life kind of blew up... a lot. Didn't play much ranked. Ended at 17-2, rank 13.

I think a great deal of it is starting to be how familiar I am with my deck versus the likely opposition. As soon as I see my opponent's class I can pretty much tell how the game's going to go. In a way that makes it easier, but also more boring. I can't imagine how people who play this game all day, like pro streamers, don't die of boredom. Maybe that's why Toast spends so much time on wacky combo decks?

I'm still enjoying WoW enough that I'm not likely to play much this month, either. But there's going to be another expansion, so I'm starting to save up gold...

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #758 on: November 05, 2018, 05:39:15 AM »
Aaaand here comes the new expansion. I won't recap the highlights - you can read 'em on Hearthpwn if you like. The first handful of cards doesn't look like it's going to shake up the current meta, but once the rotation happens this set is likely to be dominant due to things like the loas and the one-turn-stealth minions.

I think that this is going to have the side effect of buffing classes that have strong AOE (mage, warlock, maybe shaman). If you can't target a stealther and you want it gone, a big AOE is likely your best choice. Krip thinks that the very powerful combo mechanics are going to make multiple silences necessary - he might be right.

And they actually announced a release date this time, rather than "coming soon". So I've got a month to save up gold (Dec 4).