Author Topic: Borderlands  (Read 19566 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Re: Borderlands
« Reply #135 on: March 29, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »
Really for me, as long as they adjust the rare gun drop rate to not be as asstastic as it was in BL2?  I'll be happy and largely agree with Tweed.  I don't need this game to blow me away, I want more Borderlands and I've been away from it long enough I'll be happy with just that.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2019, 10:21:43 AM »
I generally agree that the play and mechanics are fun and I wouldn't like a major change to that. But 2 (iirc, it's been a lot of years) introduced vehicle combat and airborne enemies. The Pre-Sequel introduced another resource to manage and lots of jumping combat.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2019, 11:40:54 AM »
Borderlands 1 had vehicles.  Airborne enemies might have been new in 2 but they weren't that prevalent; I wouldn't call them a bigger new idea than "gun with legs".

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2019, 12:05:22 PM »
Nothing is a bigger new idea than guns with legs.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #139 on: April 04, 2019, 10:55:44 AM »
The game web site is up: https://borderlands.com/en-US/welcome/

Release date is September 13.

There's some brief information about the vault hunters but nothing detailed:
Fearless renegade mercenaries on the wildest interplanetary treasure hunt of all time. FL4K is a wandering robotic tracker whose cold steel heart warms only for their pet beasts. Amara beats bad guys into pancakes with her psychic fists. Moze’s best friend is a 10-ton walking killing machine. And Zane, the semi-retired corporate hitman... well, he’s Zane.

I see a new gun manufacturer, <OV, whose guns all have zany designs.

The only hint of something substantially new is the term "interplanetary treasure hunt".  We know that means a more varied art design for the game zones because we saw some of that in the trailer.  If there were any spaceflight gameplay I suspect we'd have heard about it by now.  Procedurally-generated zones are also a possibility, but I doubt we will see that either.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2019, 09:31:58 PM »
There's a new Borderlands 2 DLC called Commander Lilith & the Fight for Sanctuary which is supposed to set the stage for Borderlands 3.  It is free until July 8.  I don't know if that means you have to play it by then, or just claim it.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-06-09-free-now-commander-lilith-dlc/

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #141 on: June 14, 2019, 02:04:27 PM »
I played through the Commander Lilith DLC.  It's comparable in size to the other BL2 campaign DLCs.  The writing is decent Borderlands faire, although it's no Tiny Tina's Assault on Dragon Keep.  On normal mode, I found it to be a decent challenge for a level 30 character (ending at level 36).  I assume on TVHM it's tuned for level 60.

There's a new trailer focusing on the vault hunter classes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTnYksXt7Xg .  The same channel has a 10-minute gameplay demo from E3.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 02:19:06 PM by Marco »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #142 on: August 03, 2019, 02:06:30 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Et0qMnkDrn0

Borderlands 3 major changes from B2

The addition of a "postmaster" type mechanic to help you retrieve lost loot is a big one for me.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #143 on: August 24, 2019, 09:47:29 PM »
A couple of weeks ago Gearbox released interactive skill trees for the four BL3 vault hunters, revealing a greater focus on action skills as a component of character customization.  Each vault hunter appears to work differently.  For instance, Moze's action skill is always her mech (Iron Bear), but she gets to equip her mech with two weapons and an augment for each weapon.  There's one basic weapon at the top of each skill tree which is always unlocked, while augments and more powerful variants of the weapons unlock as points are spent in each tree.  Once an augment or weapon is unlocked, there appears to be no cost to swapping into a mech slot.  Amara (the siren) can equip one action skill, one augment, and an element type.  Again, there are three basic action skills which don't require any skill point investment to equip, while augments and skill variations unlock as you spent points in a tree.  FL4K gets to equip a pet, an action skill, and two augments; the skill trees appear to unlock more powerful pet variants, but while the action skills only change via unlocking and equipping augments.  As in previous Borderlands games, some skills add bonus effects to action skills.

From the video Snique posted, guns in BL3 have secondary fire modes.  This is a pretty big deal.  One of the perpetual challenges of Borderlands games is that your four guns can only hit four points within the matrix of element type and effective range.  If you equip a sniper rifle which deals electric damage, it will make you effective against far-away shielded enemies, but it won't help you much when against shielded enemies who get in your face.  Secondary fire modes will allow you to hit eight points within the matrix, giving the potential for a more complete toolkit.

https://borderlands.com/en-US/news/2019-08-08-bl3-skill-trees-live/

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #144 on: September 12, 2019, 02:01:10 PM »
It looks like BL3 endgame is taking a lot of inspiration from Diablo 3.

Most importantly, there are three increasing "Mayhem" difficulty levels which sound a lot like torment ranks.  Enemy difficulty goes up with each rank, as does loot quantity and quality.  Mayhem difficulty also comes with random affixes (like "enemies take less physical damage").  Affixes apply to map areas, and you can see them on the map in advance and plan a loadout.  Mayhem is available when you finish the campaign, and once you activate it the whole world is scaled to your level.  Although there is still a second playthrough mode (True Vault Hunter Mode), this would seem to render it optional.

There are "proving grounds" which have been compared to Diablo 3 rifts.  I'm not sure we actually know a lot about them yet.  (Most of this information comes from a relatively short Gamescom presentation, and of course the game doesn't come out until tomorrow.)

Badass rank has been revamped into "guardian rank" which operates a lot like paragon levels, in that they are only available when you hit max level and are obtained via XP (whereas badass rank was earned through achievements).  In addition to giving your choice of a little bonus, you will unlock more substantial bonuses as you spend points in the three different bonus categories.

What's apparently not going away is the requirement to run the campaign with each vault hunter you want to do endgame stuff with--it's not like Diablo 3 where you can level alts with neph rifts once you've completed the campaign on one character.

(Also from Diablo 3: there are "loot tinks" which operate a lot like loot goblins.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2019, 02:04:36 PM by Marco »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #145 on: September 13, 2019, 09:34:42 AM »
Why on earth would they rename "badass ranks"? That seems very un-Borderlands-ish.