Author Topic: Destiny 2 in Blizzard launcher  (Read 2317 times)

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
Re: Destiny 2 in Blizzard launcher
« Reply #45 on: May 04, 2018, 10:27:10 PM »
I'll be back for the second DLC as well.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #46 on: May 10, 2018, 07:11:48 AM »
Destiny 2 is in the Humble Monthly if you don't have a copy, yet. I didn't check pricing because I'm cancelling my sub (too many games, not enough hours).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2018, 08:44:12 PM »
So, good things about Warmind: the campaign has three good boss fights; there is some interesting endgame content along the lines of "mythic+ except for world quests"; the new setting (Mars) is quite good, and the new frozen Hive are pretty cool.

The campaign story is unfortunately disappointing, even by video game story standards.  It's very short, there are no funny moments like in the base campaign or Curse of Osiris, the premise isn't interesting, and it doesn't evolve in any interesting directions.  My guess is that they ran out of resources and had to cut the campaign down to the bare minimum.  I do find myself liking the new character (Ana Bray) in spite of the bad writing.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 01:14:46 PM »
Destiny 2 for PC is free if you claim it before November 18.  This definitely does not include Forsaken; it is not clear to me whether it includes the two mini-expansions Curse of Osiris and Warmind that preceded Forsaken.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=288364/destiny-2-now-free-on-battle-net

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 01:36:44 PM »
My bet would be no, but I think those two are now included for free if you purchase forsaken.

(I'd been playing again recently and having fun.  I still kind of hit a wall at max level since I'm not a fan of how you level up your ilvl, but there are more entertaining things to do and the levelling up phase was more entertaining in Forsaken)

Kharvek

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 12:26:22 PM »
https://kotaku.com/bungie-splits-with-activision-1831651740

Well that's something.  I wonder how the fuck they're going to disentangle the game from the Blizzard launcher PC side, since I bet Activision isn't like "Hey, seeya guys....but yeah you can still use our storefront/matchmaking/online utility, that's cool"

...it will also be very interesting to see the immediate changes that are made from the game out of the gate since we'll get a pretty big idea on how much influence Activision was having in their decision making.  Basically...I'm curious to how/if they change their microtransactions.  (Which..honestly.  I wasn't bothered by)

...unforuntately I think their shitty decisions in terms of progression are all Bungie's so I don't see the shit that annoys me about the game changing at all.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 01:21:12 PM »
It sounds like it will be staying in the launcher, at least according to some BlizzardCS tweets.

That may change at some point in the process, obviously, but I imagine that would be a pretty huge shift, since that's the -only- place it can be run from right now, yeah? I suspect there's some historical parallel of a game being separated from a previous launcher or migrated to a new one, but that's going to be strange. Curious about the infrastructure piece, since it obviously integrates with other Battle.Net games for chat/Real ID etc.

I too think a lot of the shitty decisions are probably Bungie's rather than Blizzard's, but I'll have to dig through some of the troubled D1 development articles to see how much Activision influence was in making that a clusterfuck. I think the biggest change will probably be longer term with the whole yearly cadence no longer being a mandate--since publisher pressure to release X or Y by a certain date has arguably mangled BFA for WoW.

I don't doubt the relationship between Blizzard and Activision is probably different than the one between Bungie and Activision, but it'll probably shine some light on how much of Blizzard/WoW's current woes can be blamed on Activision interference.

Kharvek

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 01:35:04 PM »
Yeah, I think the pressure Activision side came more from cadence of release targets and things that generate money.  I don't think they gave a fuck what they did in terms of game mechanics and the actual shit you do.

I talked to a few of my friends at Blizzard and it sounds like they're more hands off when it comes to them and their issues are a bit more internal.  They're being mildly more pushy, but the rounds of reports that Activision is moving in are all pretty blown outta proportion.  There's a management changing of the guard and it's less "Activision is ruining everything" but instead "Blizzard's internal peeps are shifting priorities"

As a sidenote that particular Kotaku reporter is a hardcore shit stirrer when it comes to publisher/dev relations.  The *instant* we had our layoffs he was sniffing for as much shit as he could find and hit up anyone he had a faint connection to at our studio to get some dirt when we're all hurting and trying to process WTF just happened.  He reports on a lot of this kind of stuff and dude has an agenda and a narrative he wants to tell.  Publishers do shitty things, but he blows it enormously out of proportion for his articles and turns tiny morsels of information into "The sky is falling" caliber things.  They really got part ways with Jason Schreier.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 02:42:21 PM »
I've enjoyed some of his stuff, but yes, I can see it's very much a "SRS JOURNALIST" via EVERYTHING IS ON FIRE kind of thing.