Author Topic: Destiny 2 in Blizzard launcher  (Read 697 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Destiny 2 in Blizzard launcher
« on: May 18, 2017, 11:19:25 AM »
* Destiny 2 will support the PC (probably not the Mac, though).
* You will be able to buy it with Blizzard balance.
* It will be integrated with Blizzard chat.
* This isn't being called a Blizzard game, and Bungie will be maintaining the servers.  (Blizzard and Bungie are both owned by Activision.)  The announcement refers to battle.net a bunch, even though that brand is supposedly being retired.

http://us.blizzard.com/en-us/news/?d=2017-5#181745

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Destiny 2 in Blizzard launcher
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 03:08:32 PM »
* You will be able to buy it with Blizzard balance.

This is apparently responsible for a 25% run-up in token prices in the last 10 days or so. At 125k per it's likely less hassle to subscribe again. I haven't done the hours-to-gold-to-dollars math because lazy.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2017, 07:17:16 AM »
You can now actually preorder Destiny 2 ($60 for the game, $90 to pre-pay for the first two expansions, no monthly sub fee as far as I know), with early beta access for pre-purchasers.  The North American WoW token price has jumped up from 135K-ish to 163K, but it will likely oscillate and stabilize somewhere between those two values.

https://us.battle.net/shop/en/product/destiny2

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2017, 08:53:35 PM »
Destiny 2 is having its PC open beta until Thursday.  Not great timing for WoW addicts due to the patch, but if you're into FPS/RPG games now is your chance to try it out for free.  I found the shooting gameplay in the intro to be fun, but I have no idea if I would enjoy the RPG aspects as much as I did Borderlands games.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2017, 08:26:33 AM »
TL;DR: If you're slightly interested in the game, this is a fantastic chance to see if you'd like it at all.  The stuff it doesn't show are all the MMO basics, which I imagine will be....like an MMO.  It does show how combat feels, what all the classes can basically do and how the game runs and controls.  The tipping point will be "Do I like how MMOs feel in FPS form"  Details to follow!

I enjoyed it quite a bit so far, and I'm hoping to try the strike at some point before it ends.  I played the original on console but since most the friends I play games with online are on PC, I mostly played it solo rather than doing things like trying harder strikes or the raids.  (Strikes are dungeons and raids are, well, raids.  Strikes are 3 players and raids are 6 so....smaller sizes, but it's an FPS so the dynamics are completely different)  The original Destiny was an above average progression based FPS/RPG that lost it's momentum with me due to poorly paced progression and bad grinds.  I stopped before all the expansions which I hear improved that aspect a great deal.  I also heard that the truly awesome moments in the game were tough strikes and raids.  (Which, basically sums up my feelings on WoW.  I lose interest in solo content easy, but love the dungeons/raids.  I'm more likely to enjoy solo FPS content than solo WoW content though, provided there's fun people to bullshit with)

Anyway, the game feels SO much better on PC.  The smoother framerate is a major win since I've become a total snob about that shit, and the mouse/keyboard controls feel amazing. It's up there with Doom on "Wow, this is why I used to prefer mouse/keyboard for FPS"  Many more recent FPS games I'd been starting to use a controller even on PC. 

The guns feel a lot more unique this time around instead of a bunch of generic bullet weapons, and the exotics you get for each class all do cool and unique stuff that made trying them out more exciting than "This gun is going to make me do a bigger number!" I particularly liked the Warlock SMG that had a chance to chain lightning hits around and the Hunter revolver that would cause enemies to explode for AoE damage.  Enemies got clumped up enough in this game that I was able to take advantage of it.  I'm sure there's lots of bread and butter common and uncommon weapons in the real thing that aren't as exciting, but hopefully this isn't a game that is super extra stingy with weapons that change up how things feel.

The starting mission starts out fairly forgiving but there's a couple places where the game lets you know it can get difficult.  There's plenty of moments where you're fighting cannon fodder to get used to how things feel, and feel like a total badass.  THen they'll throw in waves with a TON of enemies or some elites and you'll get knocked down a peg.  Dying is pretty painless since it just sets you back a few steps.  I think in a true strike/raid if you have a full squad wipe, you gotta start over.  (Or at a checkpoint?)  Also EVERYONE In the game can revive, you just need to be near a downed party member, so as long as someone is standing, you can possibly revive the whole team.  The game has a story.  The game has also not done anything that makes me give even the more remote shit about what the story is.  I enjoy the gameplay immensely but I could care less about any character I've been presented in this series, ever.  I feel like they're trying harder to tell a good story this time, but...I stopped caring back in the original and I'm not likely to change course here.

I'd say it's really worth giving a shot even if you're just passably interested.  You'll get a good feel for how combat feels and if it's fun to you.  The progression side of things will be, well, like many MMO's, just with less meaningful gear slots and different ways they manifest themselves. 

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2017, 09:21:36 AM »
I recognize several of the voice actors--Nathan Fillion and Gina Torres (Mal and Zoe from Firefly), as well as Lance Reddick (Broyles from Fringe).  The story segment in the beta does not do a good job of making new players feel connected to the storyline, but the beta content doesn't necessarily reflect how the actual game will begin.

I played the strike just now with random teammates.   I died several times on jumping puzzles while figuring out the specifics of the jumping controls, and again during a holdout which the other teammates did fine on.  We team wiped on the end boss and got kicked back to the last checkpoint--without apparently restoring my ammo supplies.  Fortunately you can pick up ammo during the boss fight.  One of our teammates left and got backfilled in, and we beat the boss on the second try.

I'm still torn on whether to spend 60 or 90 fake dollars on this (~600K or ~900K gold), as I don't know if I can do the MMO-ish RPG aspect justice with all the game time I put into WoW and Overwatch.  My experience with other non-WoW MMO games is that I wind up playing them almost entirely solo.  But I probably accumulate that much gold every couple of months and am full up on battle.net balance, so I may do it anyway.

Kharvek

« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2017, 01:21:54 PM »
The thing that gives me hope about finding people to play with is that most the people I play MMOs with...are on my Blizzard friend list....which I was kinda excited to hear they were going through that instead of Steam.  (I have Steam friends, but....we mostly play games by ourselves)

When I try another MMO it's usually by myself or with like one or two other people.  This way I can pop on and bug Johnny "Dude stop doing WQs and do this strike with me really quick" "Kristin they finally added druids, let's play"

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2017, 02:13:27 PM »
I played last night. Having not played Destiny before, I felt a little lost in terms of classes/feel for the game. The beta felt really stripped down and like they were assuming you had played Destiny. It didn't make a great first impression or do a good job trying to sell me on the game.

That said, I thought the intro solo mission was pretty fun and the co-op thing (whatever they call it) was cool. I like the idea of having a group of just 3. Having been playing Overwatch regularly since its release, I'm more okay with FPS games than previously (I never liked FPS games, but I think that was due to always trying to play them on a console). I also like the break from PVP to do some PVE.

I wasn't sure about getting it, but I would love to do some impromptu scenarios or raids with you fools, so maybe I will buy it after all.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Kharvek

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2017, 06:13:51 PM »
I just got a verbal confirmation Kristin is interested in trying.  EPoH Destiny might become a thing.

Jenilea

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2017, 05:41:54 AM »
I have already bought Destiny 2 (I am in the same situation as Marco) and gave the beta a try. I am not a big fan of FPS but I do like the MMORPG idea and am willing to fill up your roster! :D
Jenilea - 110 Warlock, Dalae - 110 Monk, Lindi - 100 Priest, Wintergreen - 100 Paladin, Sunrayle - 100 Mage, Moonrayle - 100 Druid, Prasi - 100 Rogue, Valri - 100 Hunter, Zardi - 100 Shaman, Sindi - 100 Warrior, Xalvi - 100 Death Knight

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2017, 11:19:33 AM »
I have Destiny 2, and I really enjoyed it. I would love to Strike and Raid with you people, as that's something I didn't get to do since I was in the PS3 gulag for D1.

From what I hear, there is a lot more explaining of classes, abilities, and assorted Destiny-isms to come when the game goes live. They didn't have the tutorial experience in the scope of the beta. The basics are:

- All 3 classes are good with guns. There is no "DPS" class that does more damage with guns.

- All 3 classes have at least 2, maybe 3 "subclasses" each. These are like specializations in WoW, as you can switch among them relatively freely. You can also change abilities and talents freely.

- The main differentiation among the 6 (or 9) sub-classes is in the abilities of 4 types: grenade, melee, class ability, and super. For instance, the Sentinel Titan has a class ability to drop cover in front of them, a melee that can give an "overshield" (more hits), and a sticky grenade. Their super is either an offensive Captain-America-style shield (tap V) or a 360-degree force field that can be ducked into for protection (hold V). You need to build up energy for your Super.

- As far as I can tell so far, "Power" on items (the 200 number on all the starting gear in the beta) is like ilvl. Your average Power determines things like damage reduction on enemies and damage reduction on you-and it doesn't matter if you have lots of high-level guns or high-level armor. It averages all your gear and gives you a combined Offensive/Defensive boost based on Power.

- There are gearing stats, but they are a lot simpler than in WoW. There is Mobility (how quickly you move and jump), Resilience (how much health you have), and Recovery (delay and speed for recovering health). Generally, Hunters have higher Mobility, Titans higher Resilience, and Warlocks higher Recovery-though all of this can be modified with gear and mods on gear.

- Guns also have different stats, though there is a bit more play in these. Weapons of Power 200 all have the same number of allocated stats, but some might have higher Impact (damage per bullet) while others have higher Range-and this can all be tweaked by the modifications the gun has. In D1 you had to "level up" a weapon through use to access more options of mods, like different scopes and ricochet ammo, but I'm not sure if D2 has this aspect or if we were just given all fully-leveled guns.

That's a lot of basics. Come shoost things with me.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 11:22:10 AM by Edalia »
o/\o

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2017, 11:27:21 AM »
I assume that there's no cross platform (i.e.: PC <-> console) play?

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2017, 11:29:29 AM »
There is no cross-platform play, unfortunately.

Also: live action trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxElWwWVFE

Warning: Beastie Boys Sabotage, so don't watch it if Star Trek: Beyond ruined that song for you.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2017, 01:51:34 PM »
Good mechanics primer for those that didn't play Destiny 1: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yewl_R04aLI
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: September 05, 2017, 04:39:20 AM »
There is no cross-platform play, unfortunately.

Also: live action trailer. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSxElWwWVFE

Warning: Beastie Boys Sabotage, so don't watch it if Star Trek: Beyond ruined that song for you.

No, it didn't. That trailer is the most awesome thing I've seen since approximately forever. Why did I not know about this before.