Author Topic: Discord vs. Ventrilo?  (Read 2250 times)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Discord vs. Ventrilo?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2017, 12:54:07 PM »
I have a odd problem with Discord. While all other programs like Mumble, Skype and Ventrilo all work when I plug my headset in the front sockets on my computer Discord does not and I have to plug the headset in around the back of my PC for it to work.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Glognar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2017, 08:16:42 AM »
After thinking Ventrilo had been abandoned, I see that 4.0 has been released and includes new 64 bit clients for Mac and PC.

Unfortunately, it requires updating servers to 4.0 and Typefrag is only showing version 3 clients. They are apparently working on providing 4.0 support but have no ETA, but will let me know when available.

Something to think about going forward.
WoW: Glognar - 110 Hunter

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2017, 09:21:11 AM »
Well let me know if folks decide to swap to Discord both so I can visit and so I remember I have that typefrag subscription :D

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2018, 07:06:07 AM »
oh HALLO.

I've found myself using Discord rather a lot lately so I went ahead and created a Deadly Cupcakes server and added many of the voice channels you know and possibly love. I'm strongly leaning towards finally letting the vent subscription go but I'm not in a rush about it and I'd feel better if everyone sort of drifted over and gave things a try and we saw if it was great for the group or caused unforeseen issues.

Here's the link: https://discord.gg/Bg4XXSv

Tell your friends!

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2018, 07:14:40 AM »
Can confirm that link works, and there's a very friendly person on the other end named Kallan. Or possibly Wren. Its all very confusing.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2018, 07:16:33 AM »
I have a odd problem with Discord. While all other programs like Mumble, Skype and Ventrilo all work when I plug my headset in the front sockets on my computer Discord does not and I have to plug the headset in around the back of my PC for it to work.
I found a work around to my problem
It seems my computer running windows 7 like to adjust the volume of Discord to 0. If I right click the Speaker icon on the taskbar and pick "Open Volume Mixer" I can up the volume and the problem goes away until next time I launch it. No idea why it keeps turning the volume down.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2018, 07:58:19 AM »
I did a first pass at setting things up.

Marco is currently setup as Cupcake Assassin with admin rights so you don't have to depend on me to make server tweaks.

There is also a Guest Pastry role that allows someone to join chat and voice channels but turns off all the things that would let someone spam things or otherwise be obnoxious.

Default user settings are fairly relaxed. If you're idle for 15min you'll automatically move to The Fluffy Cloud Level as AFK

I even made you an updated icon so you look official:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1uun4h1odrl4dzv/hi-res-cupcake.png?dl=0
« Last Edit: February 14, 2018, 08:00:17 AM by Wren »

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2018, 12:56:45 PM »
So I've seen people join the channel but I'm not sure it has actually been used for much :)

So what I'm wondering is with the blizzard addition of communities and the availability of Discord is Vent still being used? I've personally transitioned fully over to Discord for my chatting needs so I'm inclined to finally drop the vent subscription but it's also only $20 a month so if folks have a violent objection to moving to Discord (or other) I'm not going to leave everyone out in the cold.

Consider this my general expansion vent usefulness check!

Also hi!

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: July 30, 2018, 01:38:37 PM »
I believe BCP had some folks who did not care for Discord, so we were still using Vent in Antorus, but I'm not sure what our plans are for voice chat going into BFA.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2018, 08:14:02 PM »
BCP people have been using the in-game voice chat for dungeon runs, but it's hard to be certain that it will work for everyone until we start raiding again.  (It's sort of annoying that you drop out of voice chat the second you drop group, but you can use voice chat with a guild or any community or blizzard group channel to work around that.  I would guess that if you use it with a blizzard group channel, people can also join in from the launcher without being in game, but I haven't tested that.)

Probably not an immediately interesting choice for people here, but I was interested to see that Steam apparently just launched a new chat system with group chats and "Easy-to-use Voice Chat, with high-quality sound".  Options abound.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2018, 01:35:15 PM »
Johnny and myself did a test and entered the BCP voice chat channel that's Blizzard launcher based, not WoW.  When he logged out, he left voice chat.

Regardless, I *think* BCP will likely migrate to the in-game thing since it seems pretty solid.  There's annoyances with it, but there's reasonable workarounds.  (IE: Joining the community channel over raid, etc)

When we make a final call we'll let you know Wren.