Author Topic: Discord vs. Ventrilo?  (Read 325 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Discord vs. Ventrilo?
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:38:04 AM »
So every so often I check on the state of affairs of voicechat to see if we should be doing something other than vent. Last time it was mumble which no one was very enthused with but now there's Discord which would allow you to have voice AND a chat place for hanging out. (Although some would argue that WoW IS our chat place for hanging out)

So take a look at Discord and let me know if we want to try setting up a Deadlycupcakes thing.  Note: I have no problem carrying on the proud legacy of the DC vent server.  But if there's something out there with better tech and user experience I don't want anyone to be afraid to try it out.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Re: Discord vs. Ventrilo?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2017, 08:50:34 AM »
I know TRR uses Discord and BCP still uses vent.  I have no real strong opinions either way since they both feel basically the same to me.  I don't really care about Discord's chat feature all that much and the voice part of the two seems the same.  Some people sound better over vent, some better over Discord. 

I generally find myself using vent more than discord just since that's what most of us all still have.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2017, 09:01:03 AM »
Discord has given Mac users a true equivalent client, instead of a frozen beta version forever missing features.

The stuff you can do with Discord on your smartphone is pretty nifty, and handy for when you're late to raid.  Yeah, the Armory app allows you to pop up a message in guild chat.  But it can't connect you into a channel to actually listen in, and give your apologies verbally.

Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc:  Kikiaru, L37 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior / Rinkitink, L40 Belf Hunter

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »
Observations, some of which are anecdotal, some of which are not

* As Fallow notes, Discord has a first-class supported client on Macs and mobile devices. This is "nice".
* I personally think that the chat component is very nice, in that a) it's great for ephemeral shit-shooting (that doesn't translate well to the forums) and b) allows for a rich text/media experience and c) is stupid easy/simple to use from mobile platforms (which - IMO - is absolutely not true for the forums)
* TRR tends to not use the chat function excessively (cat photos at the request of Kristin, notwithstanding), however another guild that I'm in uses it very heavily. I think its a nice thing to have, honestly.
* 4/5 TRR raiders feel that Discord's voice quality is superior (significantly so) than Vent's. That 5th raider may be dead - we're sending out a search party now.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »
I like Discord better, but not tremendously so.  It's easier to adjust people's volume and the Slack-style chat channels are nifty.  A lot of the larger WoW community has gravitated towards Discord for information-sharing, although I don't know quite how that works as their channels aren't threaded like an SMF forum's boards.

I thought about creating a more general DC Discord server when I switched TRR over to it, but since Discord servers are free, I wasn't sure whether or not it would make more sense for each raid group to just have its own server.

Cerulean Knights does use Mumble, and its leaders far prefer Mumble to either Discord or Vent because they say it has much better latency.  I haven't noticed a significant latency problem with either Discord or Vent myself.  None of the usability problems I observed with Mumble seem to have been fixed the last time I installed it, but they don't bother everyone.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 09:29:42 AM by Marco »

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2017, 09:35:09 AM »
I find that Mumble imparts a tinny quality to voices, to the point where everyone sounds like they're a robot from some cheap 50's sci-fi flick. Also.. the Mac client is a hot mess, IMO.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2017, 10:01:16 AM »
Personally I've been finding Vent pretty laggy lately, but haven't been using Discord while raiding enough to determine if this is an "Honor's internet is butts" issue or a "Vent lag is real" issue.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2017, 10:19:36 AM »
* 4/5 TRR raiders feel that Discord's voice quality is superior (significantly so) than Vent's. That 5th raider may be dead - we're sending out a search party now.

I'm that 5th raider and I'm not dead.  I find Vent is noticeably better voice quality.  And on windows its auto-adjust-volume feature worked so that I basically never had to adjust anyone's volume levels which is very convenient.  With that said, I'm not a mac user, and they clearly experienced pain on vent that I do not.

But I do like Discord's chat channels and the ability to do voice over mobile in a pinch, when say my laptop dies unexpectedly...

So really, I'm happy with either one.  I think Vent is better for pure chat, but Discord brings a bunch of other utility to the table that makes it worth using.

Mumble is just inferior in pretty much every way to either of those two.  Its quality is bad and it doesn't really come with an upside.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2017, 10:46:12 AM »
I'm that 5th raider and I'm not dead.  I find Vent is noticeably better voice quality.  And on windows its auto-adjust-volume feature worked so that I basically never had to adjust anyone's volume levels which is very convenient.  With that said, I'm not a mac user, and they clearly experienced pain on vent that I do not.
I'm the other 4 raiders -- or at least I like Discord that much better than Vent.  I was running Vent on Windows 10, and not only did the volume adjustment never work for me (every year or so I would follow the instructions without noticeable improvement), Vent made me even deafer than I naturally am.  Even with perfect voice quality, I require more explaining than the rest of the raid.  With Vent, I frequently had to choose between pretending I'd heard something I hadn't or asking the raid leader to repeat it.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2017, 11:15:02 AM »
however another guild that I'm in uses it very heavily.

I've heard that guild is full of weirdos. But I could be mistaken.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2017, 11:19:06 AM »
I've heard that guild is full of weirdos. But I could be mistaken.

I can hardly bear it.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2017, 11:19:48 AM »
Marco makes a good point about the general Discord setup vs. Discord by raid group. I haven't poked at it enough to know if creating individual channels would cover the raid groups while allowing a general DC jibberjabber area.

But if we want to do a pilot program and try it out I'm down with that.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2017, 07:44:35 AM »
Random responses: I'm personally agnostic on which to use. I Mumble has finally cleared up the issues that used to cause it to SCREECH my speakers back in the Windows 7 days. I use Vent most often and the Ventriloid mobile client does what Fallow mentioned, such as letting you join a channel on your phone to listen in or apologize for being late again.

I find Discord's UI confusing but some groups I play with like it so I have it installed. I would be in favor of a general DC Discord with raid-specific channels if the raid leaders agreed to that.

I have not had sufficient experience with these things to have a strong opinion about relative lag and my hearing is somewhat impaired (I'm ~30% deaf) so nuances in voice quality are usually lost on me.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2017, 11:41:01 AM »
So did anyone perhaps setup a server for DC? I've been using Discord for some other things so if there are people or places I should add let me know :)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2017, 07:13:16 PM »
Ars Technica has a nice article about Discord: https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/08/we-try-discords-new-video-features-ask-if-game-chat-app-will-ever-make-money/#p3

They're just adding a new feature: the ability to screen-share from multiple players. At last, your raid leader can see what you're doing as you're doing it.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice