Author Topic: LFR and healing  (Read 321 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
LFR and healing
« on: March 07, 2017, 08:32:38 AM »
My vague impression of LFR is that things are tuned to mash-keys-with-both-hands such that minor details like "coordinate healing" are not necessary.  True?  False?

Basically, I'm hoping to have Gaillardia (resto druid) jump into LFRs soon (she just dinged 108), and I'm wondering if there are unwritten expectations for resto druids besides "Rejuv everyone" and "don't stand in fire" and "let the rogues die first, mages second".  (E.g., is it DHs first, then rogues, then mages?)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: LFR and healing
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2017, 08:42:41 AM »
Apert's Healing Order.

* Tank(s)
* Apert
* Other healers.
* Top DPS (unless fall into one of below categories)
* Other DPS
* Hunters
* Hunter Pets
* DK's who obviously rerolled from rogues
* DH's who obviously rerolled from DK's, who rerolled from rouges
* Any DH who's name is a play on Illidan
* NPCs
* Rogues
* DPS whom you've noticed have not once used a personal DR cooldown, but manage to always stand in fire.
* Kharvek.

Take it with a grain of salt, but yes.. LFR is usually cat-flailing-on-keyboard time. No matter what you do, someone will definitely yell at you for doing it, so just do what you perceive to be the objectively correct thing to do, to maximize raid success.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2017, 08:47:25 AM »
I have never seen an LFR group coordinate healing.

Usually the healing requirements are light except when people mess up the few mechanics that LFR encounters demand be done properly.  For instance, yesterday I watched Cree do a Krosus fight in LFR where one of the tanks died to the first breaker slam, so the stacking DOT climbed up indefinitely on the other tank until he was losing around half his health per tick, and then he died.  Through a series of combat rezzes (one of them on the first tank, who promptly died to the next breaker slam) and some DPS tanking, the fight was won anyway.

Healing can also be a little intense when people use overgeared LFR strats.  For instance, on LFR Skorpyron it's common for the main tank to stand on the outer edge where the scorpion adds come in, so that it doesn't matter if people get knocked back.  That plan requires more tank healing than you would ordinarily expect in an LFR encounter.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 09:58:24 AM by Marco »

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2017, 09:36:47 AM »
Yeah Emunny likes to do that on Skorpyon (is it just me, or does that seem like some skateboarder's AOL handle?) but mostly he considers it a personal challenge in tanking cooldown management.  (The jerk has two mitigation trinkets, grrr.)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2017, 10:47:53 AM »
LFR healing is either Really Intense or Boring As Hell Start DPSing. There is no inbetween.

On my toons that only really do LFR, I usually spec for a combination of healer DPS (ie. I take Echo for 2xLava Burst during lulls on Keana in LFR) and tank healing (where things usually go wild if they're gonna, since you'll see people solo tanking stuff a lot in LFR either because they taunt off the other tank at inappropriate times, the other tank can't find their taunt button, or there's just one tank in the instance and everyone said "screw it, let's just yolo this.").

Healers will not coordinate cooldowns in LFR. It is every man for himself. Use them as you see fit -- generally you don't need them for mechanics like you do in N/H/M, so I usually use mine whenever things go haywire. Or just, like, idk when I'm bored?

I'm not sure if there's a separate buff that displays when a holy paladin is using Aura Mastery, but that'd be the only real "other healer cooldown" you might want to specifically keep an eye on apart from just trying not to overwrite others' healing. (hpal has a gold trait that makes AM increase healing taken when it's up.)

Keep Lifebloom up on the current tank, rejuv as needed, drop your mushroom, Wild Growth on CD, Ironbark is your friend. Regrowth with clearcasting procs/if you gotta. Macro your innervate to just innervate yourself tbh. Sunfire/moonfire all the things. TBH I don't even cast HT in LFR. Someone else will beat me to the health and I might as well just Wrath something.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 12:59:09 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2017, 12:34:17 PM »
Wild Growth on CD

So, okay, not quite LFR healing, but whatever.

Clearly, from the resto druid artifact talent tree, WG is meant to be The Thing.  But holy cripes does it suck mana!  But is the whole point that, well yeah, the artifact makes WG suddenly amazingly good so spam it on CD?

Relatedly, I haven't setup TellMeWhen to tell me anything on Gail, so now I'm thinking "tell me when my WG CD is done" should be one.

The only other thing I really want is a more visible GCD sweep, because my Grid is in the center-right of the screen (I'm healing via keyboard), so I don't have the GCD sweep in the center of my attention.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2017, 12:55:04 PM »
Really depends on fight length and how much AoE damage is going out. Wild Growth is expensive, but also a very good amount of healing per mana once you have it properly traited. If there's no raid damage going out, don't bother with it, but if people are taking damage, yes, use it.

I found speccing Moment of Clarity helped a lot with mana concerns -- more free regrowths are less mana-costing spells.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2017, 01:26:41 PM »
What Honor said :)

LFR is usually pretty boring for healing except when it isn't because everyone decides it's LFR so they ignore all the mechanics and stand in things, or the other healers are undergeared or not really healers, or the tanks are undergeared or not really tanks. Then all of a sudden you find yourself actually working to keep things from imploding while looking at the meters and thinking "there HAS to be more than two healers in this raid but then why is the person after me the tank?"

Also being able to run around while casting tranq is the best thing ever.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2017, 05:32:44 PM »
Gawd, I don't have ANY meters installed.  I don't want to know that Thana is 16th out of 15 DPS in a raid.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 07:08:12 AM »
I tend only to heal tanks in LFR. As a palahealer I get two beacons so sometimes I heal something else and get free heals on the tanks. That's considered "healing the tank" in my book.

Almost without exception, DPS in LFR who take enough damage to need healing are idiots who stood in fire. Letting them die allows me to keep eating crisps while LFR healing.

I like LFR healing for when I'm tweaking my button or healbot set-up. On those runs I heal as though the tank were taking actual damage just to get enough practice with my set-up.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2017, 08:33:57 AM »
When I LFR heal (not since the previous expansion), I figure that every other healer is focused on the tank, so I do my best to heal everybody else. It gives me an excuse to stand far away from the boss and near the ranged DPS. If DBM gives me a warning, I move; otherwise I can plant my butt in one place and cast Enveloping Mists once in a while.

Of course, this isn't always ideal behavior and sometimes I lose all my health. But that's some other healer's problem.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice