Author Topic: Help Heidi with her homework  (Read 212 times)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Help Heidi with her homework
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:34:46 AM »
For class Tuesday I'm to write a one page report on a "local creative learning space".  My teacher gave permission to report on this forum.  If you learned stuff on these forums, I'd love to hear about it!  Like, what did you learn, what did you do to learn it (ask Chibe, get advice then practice, organize a group to access content, ...), and is there anything in particular about the Cupcakes forum that made it easier to learn here than elsewhere?

A few sentences in plenty -- the whole report is just one page.

Thanks!

Participants may request payment in left shark pets.  Good while supplies last.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: Help Heidi with her homework
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2017, 09:28:44 AM »
Huh, I wouldn't think that this place would be considered a localized area, since it is the internet.

*edit* Not that I'm trying to stop this or anything like that.  Does the ingame channel chat count as well?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 09:37:39 AM by Chibe »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »
I'm just doing the message boards.  I don't think this counts as local but it's the kind of class where, if a student has an idea, the professor will let the student run with it.

Part of the assignment is to describe the "space".  I had to look up Simple Machines Forum.

How many left sharks do you want, and who should I send them to?

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2017, 01:17:23 PM »
Here's my answer:

At this point, the DC forums are my primary way to learn about WoW. Marco keeps us updated on the upcoming changes to the game. Andius keeps my pet collector avarice fed by letting me know of new opportunities to collect them. Everyone responds when I have a gameplay question that's general enough to apply to most players.

Although this information is available from other sources (e.g., Icy Veins, MMO Champion, the WoW forums on Blizzard's sites), as a practical matter I don't have enough to filter through all those sources to get the key information.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 01:52:40 PM »
I think one of the strengths of learning here versus elsewhere is most the people on these boards are more closely related in how we approach the game.  If you go to a place like Icy-Veins, they need to appeal to all sorts, whereas here it's primarily PvE content, but we take our theorycraft relatively serious even if most people on these boards don't play as many hours as some of the people in super progressed mythic teams.  So if I ask a question here, I'm likely to get advice that will fit my playstyle and how I play the game instead of "Hey you can grind all these things up and acquire these items!"  ...which, just ain't gonna happen.  However I am willing to make some subtle adjustments to playstyle to squeak out some extra damage, since that's a skill thing, not an 'invest more time' thing.

I can get a quicker and more accurate answer that's right for me and my playstyle here.  If I went to larger sites, it would take a lot more effort to drill down to find what is right for me, especially as the quality of these more generalized sites on their actual numbers and information has gotten a bit more dubious.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 04:45:06 PM »
I agree with all that has been said and would add that learning here is great but sometimes you can learn more by trying to teach someone else something.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 102),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 103)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 06:00:37 AM »
One of my favorite memories of learning here was when the board moderators organized a December give-to-a-charity event. I learned about a bunch of interesting charitable organizations including one (Engineers Without Borders) that I continue to support to this day. I read about where people were donating and looked up the organizations online (their sites, Charity Navigator, etc) before picking EWB.

I also participated in, and learned a lot from, the discussion around representation of women and sexism in gaming. I was already reading a lot of this stuff on my own and I found it very helpful to get feedback from other gamers, particularly women gamers whom I don't see regularly.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2017, 11:34:28 AM »
Thanks all!  I'm copying the text of my slide below.  Sorry there wasn't space to include everything!

Let me know if you want a number of left sharks different from 1.

--- text follows ---

The Deadly Cupcakes discussion forum (http://www.deadlycupcakes.org/forums) supports an online community of World of Warcraft players.  Members can play from anywhere; hence the need for an online rather than physical community.  Rather than convening around food or physical activity, the forums build a sense of community by sharing images and animated gifs, jokes, and humorous themes such as stereotypes of Canadians, high fives, or penguins.  (Levels of “political correctness” vary widely by discussion.)

Space:  This forum runs on open source software which a volunteer member hosts and maintains.  It’s a message board divided into categories, with both public and private (e.g. for individual raid groups) categories.  Within categories, discussions are divided into threads.  Users with new questions or ideas may start new threads, but will most often add their remarks to an existing thread.

Projects:  Projects include raid groups working to kill Gul’dan, groups forming to earn in-game mounts or pets, and individual goals such as improving WoW gameplay, building a personal computer, or investing in charity.

Passion:  Ideas arise from playing World of Warcraft and Hearthstone, sometimes as indirectly as in an ongoing pun competition.

Peers:  Those who feel able and eager to act as mentors do so; one player commented on learning from that experience.  Because the forums’ members share a common play style, advice here may be more pertinent than that on global WoW web sites.  There are several mentors who have and regularly share real expertise.

Values:  “Don’t be a jerk” is an unwritten rule.  Interactions on the forums may take the form of friendly rivalry, a desire to share topics of interest, requests for information or advice, or organizing groups.  Peace is maintained more by avoiding controversial topics than by discussing them, though individuals’ assumptions or attitudes may be challenged in minor ways.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 11:50:57 AM »
I will accept zero Left Sharks, if you please. In face, I'd prefer -1 Left Sharks, since I've got about 20 of them.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2017, 05:48:51 AM »
Oh, is that why there was a Left Shark in my mailbox last night? Sorry I missed the forum post and thought you'd sent it to me by accident. Like Winston I have quite a few.