Author Topic: Legion alt levelling  (Read 821 times)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: Legion alt levelling
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2017, 08:13:04 AM »
I'm REVIVAL!ing this thread to check if I correctly understand the leveling and achievement paths of mains and alts. Bear in mind that I have no interest in instancing or raiding (apart from Lagan, someday).

My main, Yungi, now has all his gear at ilvl 880 or higher (among them six Legendary items). Neglecting the Orphaned Felbat that might drop from Legionfall Chests, the only reason for him to visit the Broken Shore is to complete the one-new-quest-per-week storyline, which will eventually lead a mount+pet quest. Is this correct?

I have two alts to level up, a Rogue and a Death Knight (for the pets, of course). In the case of the Rogue:

- I've seen players who already have the Rogue pet. That means the Broken Shore quest line is not necessary for them. Presumably I get the Rogue to 110 and/or finish the Order Hall quests to get the pet, correct?

- The Death Knight pets are available after the mount quests, one for each artifact. So I have to get the Death Knight to 110, finishing all the Order Hall quests, then park her until Yungi has maxed out the Artifact Knowledge research and sends her the AK tome for AK 45. Then the Death Knight researches her AK to 50, does 20 world quests with AP rewards for each artifact, and completes the Broken Shore quest line to get to the mount quests for each artifact spec. Correct?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2017, 09:52:56 AM »
The broken shore also has an approximately weekly world boss that drops high ilvl gear - which while you don't _need_ for solo'ing, is free i900 gear.

Also, while its not required for leveling an alt, if you are willing to do the effort, I encourage you to spin up the alt's order hall followers.  If you want you can stop with them all at 850-gear, but at both 850 & 900 there are missions that when completed at 200% give about 1750g and that you can get on a not-quite daily basis. 2-3 alts that you check once a day can generate enough gold to buy at least one token a month ($15 in blizzard account or 1 month wow subscription).  You do need to play the alts enough to farm order resources to keep doing the missions.  Also, if you are just queuing order hall missions, the mobile app is much more convenient than logging in to wow.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2017, 06:58:47 AM »
My main, Yungi, now has all his gear at ilvl 880 or higher (among them six Legendary items).

How do you wear more than two legendaries?

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2017, 08:41:08 AM »
My main, Yungi, now has all his gear at ilvl 880 or higher (among them six Legendary items).

How do you wear more than two legendaries?

With style!

OK, seriously:

- A monk can DPS, heal, or tank depending on spec. I switch gear (manually; Outifitter stopped working for me around 7.1) when I switch specs. I switch to appropriate legendaries depending on specs.

- Actually, I only actively switch between five of them. One of them is banked (a ring of something-or-other) since the other legendaries provided better bonuses.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
I'm sure everyone here knows this already, but since I don't recall the Heirloom improvement being mentioned before:

You can now upgrade your heirloom items to Rank 3, which means they continue to scale up to level 110. This won't be useful for weapons at all (since you'll upgrade to your Artifact weapon at level 100), but it's a good for leveling alts from 100-110: you can keep the items that grant bonuses to mob and quest XP.

At level 100, my heirloom seemed to stop scaling. I'm not sure whether it was reaching level 101 or taking off one item and putting it on again, but after I did both the Heirloom items started scaling for me again.

A good thing too, because I'm leveling an Outlaw Rogue right now. I enjoyed playing a Rogue up to level 100, but once I entered the Broken Isles I suddenly turned into tissue paper and I could no longer two-shot the mobs. It's annoying. I'm getting better at playing her, but once I get the pet I doubt I'll continue with her. OTOH, my Blood Death Knight is a respectable tank; I might use her instead of my Brewmaster Monk if we ever get a Lagan run organized.
Bill Seligman

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2017, 08:45:11 PM »
For levelling I'd honestly say I'd go with assassination over Outlaw.  Assassination doesn't have a positional requirement anymore and some of the basics of the class really reduce downtime and make it more survivable when questing.  Make the swap and take the leeching poison talent and marked for death.  Use MfD to open with a rupture.  ...yes, the monster will die before it runs out, but the opening rupture is to refill your energy bar after the kill.  Kill it, fresh bar of energy and the leeching poison will help keep your health up.

Combat/Outlaw used to be the go to levelling build since you didn't need to position yourself, but assassination hasn't needed it for awhile and honestly I find is the best world questing/levelling rogue spec there is right now.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2017, 05:26:41 AM »
Thanks, Kharvek. I wished I'd asked for rogue-leveling advice at the start. At this point, I'll stick with Outlaw because I'm not facile at learning a new spec's mechanics. Also, I figured out a good approach: stealth to the mob, pick pocket (if it has any), Ambush, Run Through, Marked For Death, Run Through. After that, Saber Slash until 5-6 combo points then Run Through; Pistol Shot when Opportunity procs. This won't be a good rotation with bosses, but I'll face that when I have to instance for the Rogue campaign.
Bill Seligman

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2017, 09:08:50 AM »
When I was leveling other classes to 110 (Monk, Warrior, Death Knight), as part of the Class Hall chain I had to visit a couple of dungeons. I'm currently leveling a Rogue, and she's at level 107. I remember that for the other classes I was assigned Class-Hall instance quests at level 104 or so.

Which of the following is closest to the truth?

- Rogues don't get instance quests in their campaign.
- Blizzard dropped the instance requirement as part of some patch or other.
- My memory is faulty.
Bill Seligman

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2017, 11:00:45 AM »
You do Dungeon: Maw of Souls and Dungeon: Black Rook Hold after doing a few order hall missions to do with Si:7 and gathering some 50x  Fel Blood.

http://www.wowhead.com/legion-class-hall-mission-guide and you can see if your missing something.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2017, 12:07:59 PM »
Ah, I see: The first instance in the Rogue quest chain is into Maw of Souls (as you said), which is not available until level 110. So reason I haven't see it yet is that the quest is a big gray exclamation point over the quest-giver's head.
Bill Seligman

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2017, 08:00:43 PM »
I finished leveling up my Horde-side Outlaw Rogue, Swiftslice, to the point where she got the pet Crackers. Now I'll put her aside as I focus getting triple Concordance on my Blood Death Knight, Winella. Given a choice between leveling a Death Knight and a Rogue for pets, and doing a daily PvP grind for months for Prestige 7 pets, I'm so glad I chose to level alts.

In particular, I had a lot of fun leveling the Rogue (which is why I'm putting this note in the alt-level topic instead of the pet topic). I created Swiftslice back in the days of vanilla WoW, when the Onyx Crown was still a Thing. I got her to level 27, then just parked her for years as a Horde-side auction alt. When I started leveling her again a few weeks ago, I discovered what a slice-and-dice DPS powerhouse Rogues were. I two-shotted most mobs until I got to Legion (as noted upthread), then picked up on the Rogue Legion playstyle (again, upthread) and got back to two-shotting again. If things got tough, I just Cloak of Shadows (to drop DOTs) and Vanished to escape. It was strange to complete several quests and see my gear was still at 100%; the mobs didn't have a chance to damage her!

Overall alt-leveling notes:

I had the most fun leveling as a Rogue. It's all about the DPS!

In second place are the tanks: Prot Warrior (Grotar), Blood Death Knight (Winella), Bear Druid (Theadora). Here it's all about survivability: taking on a half-dozen mobs and walking away at almost full health.

Leveling my Monk (Yungi), in retrospect, was in third place; since Blizzard nerfed Fistweaving it's just not as much fun to play a Monk. Certainly Brewmaster tanking is more troublesome than the other tank classes I've leveled; even with Stagger meters and various on-line guides to help with Brew strategy, I can't get the knack of doing general PvE questing as Brewmaster without a healer around. As DPS, I used to be proud of what Yungi could do as a Windwalker... until I played a Rogue.

Tied for third is my Warlock (Winston). It's mainly my fault: I've stuck with Affliction spec for years, even when it looks like Destruction spec might be better for PvE leveling. It's easier for me to learn a new class than it is to learn a different spec for the same class.

Fourth place: Shaman. I didn't spend much time leveling him, and perhaps I would have grown to like the class. The play experience for me was "meh" compare to other classes.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:20:27 AM by Winston »
Bill Seligman

Fernia

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: July 25, 2017, 06:10:39 AM »
I was able to level my warrior from 100 -> 110 in a week.
And it was a blast.

Protection warriors are a lot of fun to play, and you can just gather all the mobs and cleave them all down.
I was able to get a level and a half per invasion I did while leveling, with the help of five heirlooms, and a flying mount.   Add to that the instant-max-AK cookie, and I've suddenly got another option for running mythics and stuff.

I have even been *somewhat* enjoying the order hall stuff, since it's sufficiently different from the priest experience to be interesting.  I don't think I'm going to return to my alt-aholic ways, but it was fun.