Author Topic: Legion alt levelling  (Read 692 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Legion alt levelling
« on: October 24, 2016, 06:24:08 AM »
It sounds like 7.1 makes it less awful to level alts via "not quests" because rep grinds are the highest of your account, right?  I'm musing about trying to level Gaillardia via dungeon healing, but I was wondering if anyone has done that and has any feedback.  Does gear climb too slowly?  Are xp rewards too small?  Would I be missing out on key unlocks?  I don't know if Blizzard ever got the memo that people like to level in different ways or not.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Legion alt levelling
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2016, 06:46:14 AM »
XP rewards are too small right now (see this tweet, which might actually get listened to since Olivia Grace is Connected).  Gathering, mob-grinding, pet battles, side-quests, or PvP might be options, but dungeon grinding really isn't.

On the other hand, I don't think you'd miss any key unlocks (after 7.1) besides some reputation, which mostly affects shoulder enchant items and some profession recipes.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2016, 06:48:49 AM by Marco »

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2016, 07:10:25 AM »
Gathering, mob-grinding, pet battles, side-quests, or PvP might be options

Wait, as in, pick all the flowers?  I want to level Reonna, too, and was musing about how hard it'd be to level up alchemy.  (Hotspur also mentioned that gathering is hot on the AH, too, but I'm not sure I care about gold unless I want to go down the gold-for-gameplay path.)  Of course, not levelling up gear could really suck in a few levels.

Well, here's hoping Olivia Grace can nudge the devs.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2016, 07:20:29 AM »
I want to level Reonna, too, and was musing about how hard it'd be to level up alchemy.

Its not _hard_ per se, but you effectively are unable to unlock everything until you've reached max level, and run a bajillion instances. Specifically, I believe (but can't check atm) that flasks will require you to be 108+, if not 110 proper.

Now. That just covers 1 star recipes. 2 stars require heroic/mythic RNG boss drops, and 3 star require sacrifices at the altar of the RNG and burning an awful lot of mats.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2016, 07:27:39 AM »
Now. That just covers 1 star recipes. 2 stars require heroic/mythic RNG boss drops, and 3 star require sacrifices at the altar of the RNG and burning an awful lot of mats.
I don't think the boss drops are RNG.  They've never failed to drop for me.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2016, 07:33:07 AM »
I want to level Reonna, too, and was musing about how hard it'd be to level up alchemy.

Its not _hard_ per se, but you effectively are unable to unlock everything until you've reached max level, and run a bajillion instances. Specifically, I believe (but can't check atm) that flasks will require you to be 108+, if not 110 proper.

I guess one thing to point out is that world quests can give gear competitive with raid drops.  And can get upgraded via RNG (ie, extra ilvls & socket & tertiary stats).  So its entirely reasonable to gear up for whatever without doing any raid content.

Also, if you are used to thinking of things in terms of 2 expansions ago, heroic's now are like old normal max level dungeons.  Mythic's are like old heroics.  Mythic+'s are closer to challenge modes.

So when it says it requires heroic/mythic drops this probably isn't as big of a blocker as it might sound like.

Though to be honest, I feel like all the crafting professions have been made vastly more painful to level this expansion. I've managed to get neither my alchemy nor enchanting to 800.  Leatherworking is 800 only because I bought a lot of leather cheap before people did the math and leather settled in to its current prices.   With that said, having alchemy & enchanting not at 800 doesn't seem to be impacting my ability to make everything useful I want to make.

I could believe that herbalism is quite lucrative at the moment, though that may change some when 7.1 drops.  But probably not to much.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2016, 08:04:11 AM »
I could believe that herbalism is quite lucrative at the moment, though that may change some when 7.1 drops.  But probably not to much.

Last I checked, Starlight Rose was going for ~150g on the AH. Each.

https://theunderminejournal.com/#us/earthen-ring/category/herbalism

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2016, 09:54:48 AM »

Yes you're going to need to be 110 as learning flasks needs you to run at least 3 heroic dungeons. Got quests to run three heroic dungeons not sure if there is more to run after that.

The step before that which I had to make ten of four kinds of potions took 80 Starlight Rose (and some other herbs), trying not to think about how much money it is costing :(
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2016, 09:56:18 AM »
Or put another way, if WoW game tokens are going for 41k, that's 275 Starlight Rose for a month of game time.  Not sure why, but I find that amusing.  :)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2016, 10:16:50 AM »
Maybe I should put this in the Pet Battles topic, but since Ghoselle has touched on these issues here:

How far along do you have to be in Enchanting and Alchemy before you can start crafting their respective profession-only pets? Do you have to go through the dungeons and whatnot to acquire those recipes? I'm already resigned to leveling up my alchemist (Winston) and enchanter (Vasili) for the pets, but I'd like to know how long a grind I have to get them.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2016, 10:57:08 AM »
Maybe I should put this in the Pet Battles topic, but since Ghoselle has touched on these issues here:

How far along do you have to be in Enchanting and Alchemy before you can start crafting their respective profession-only pets? Do you have to go through the dungeons and whatnot to acquire those recipes? I'm already resigned to leveling up my alchemist (Winston) and enchanter (Vasili) for the pets, but I'd like to know how long a grind I have to get them.

Both need you to do dungeons.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/legion-alchemy
http://www.wowhead.com/guides/legion-enchanting
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2016, 12:14:23 PM »

Alternatively, talk to me.  The enchanting ones just take mats and are BoE so can be traded easily.  They are somewhat expensive, but not that bad.  The alchemy ones are annoyingly RNG and on a 1-week cooldown to generate a random pet, some of which you can get through other paths  (I've gotten 1 alchemy pet and I think 2 pets I had already).

For what its worth, I think each of druid and shaman have a pet available exclusively in their order hall.  So if you are leveling someone to get a pet, you might want to keep that in mind.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2016, 04:18:50 PM »
Actually, the druid, shaman, and warlocks have individual pet quests (the demon hunters have the same quest as the warlocks). Since I have to level up my alchemist anyway, and he's a warlock, that one is not a problem. For the druid and shaman, I'll insta-bump Theadora to 100 and pay the money to insta-bump a brand-new shaman toon to 100 as well. I think the order-hall pet quests come at around level 105, so that's not too arduous.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2016, 09:58:20 AM »
Since we were talking about Starlight Rose in this thread:

Starlight Rose is (was?) expensive for several reasons:

* It is harvested in a 110 zone, while the other herbs can be harvested by characters at level 100.

* When you pull it out of the ground, you typically get 1 or 0 of it (unless you proc a Withered Hungerer), while other herbs grant multiples.

* It is used by every combat potion and every flask.

Patch 7.1 should reduce the pressure on both the supply and demand fronts.  You can buy three starlight rose for a Blood of Sargeras, but more importantly, alchemists can make 10 of the new Potion of Prolonged Power for one Blood of Sargeras.  The new potion is presumed to be weaker than Old War and Deadly Grace potions, but is still much stronger than Draenor pots (granting 2500 stamina and primary stat for 60 seconds, vs. 1000 of a primary stat for 25 seconds).

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2016, 12:47:29 PM »
XP rewards are too small right now [for dungeon leveling]
It might be more practical now.  From today's hotfixes:
Experience rewarded from queuing for "Random Legion Dungeon" (Normal difficulty) has been increased by 150%.