Author Topic: To grind or not to grind professions?  (Read 302 times)

Danrith

• Huntard Extraordinaire
To grind or not to grind professions?
« on: August 30, 2016, 09:30:40 AM »
Hi everyone!

I essentially quit raiding after Lich King and quit WoW entirely after a short stint leveling and running a few dungeons in Cataclysm, so after returning for Legion all my professions are lagging behind.

On my main(who just hit 100) I have leatherworking somewhere just over 500 and skinning at 600, my alts and their respective professions are lagging behind.  I leveled 85-90 questing in Pandaria and then 90-100 in a day of fighting Legion invasions, so I've done zero Draenor content.

At this point, it feels like I'm so far behind that catching up on professions, particularly if I want to get my alts up (two 80s, an 85, and a scattering of others even farther behind) might not be worth the time.  Is there a relatively easy way to catch up a profession that doesn't require massive gold on the AH or a lot of grind time?

Also, is archeaology worth spending any time on?  If I enjoy playing again and decide to stick around, I imagine the time I will be investing will be a lot less than I used to spend, so I'm looking to maximize my rewards for the investment.

Your thoughts suggestions appreciated!

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: To grind or not to grind professions?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2016, 09:36:01 AM »
At this point, it feels like I'm so far behind that catching up on professions, particularly if I want to get my alts up (two 80s, an 85, and a scattering of others even farther behind) might not be worth the time.  Is there a relatively easy way to catch up a profession that doesn't require massive gold on the AH or a lot of grind time?

Legion has a completely different model for professions - so long as your skill is above 100 (IIRC), you're fine in legion. Note that all the interesting legion profession recipes are locked behind quests/dungeons, so maintaining profession alts is probably a bit harder now.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2016, 10:08:38 AM by jsoh »

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2016, 10:07:46 AM »
Archaelogy is a time consumer that generates rarely achievements, toys, pets, mounts.  Its something to do when you want to hang out in game and fly around and look at the world.  Its not really something I'd recommend any do for its own sake, but it has its rewards if you were going to be doing doing that flying around anyway...

Danrith

• Huntard Extraordinaire
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2016, 12:56:21 PM »
Thanks for the input! 

To level up professions in Legion, does the character have to be a certain level?  So, for example, if I wanted to level alchemy on my 80 druid, do I have to level him first?

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2016, 05:13:14 PM »
Thanks for the input! 

To level up professions in Legion, does the character have to be a certain level?  So, for example, if I wanted to level alchemy on my 80 druid, do I have to level him first?

Professions are more tied to the world, you have to do quest to get the recipes. So it it not a case of talking to a trainer and throwing materials at it. So it short yes you do have to level him first.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Gori

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2016, 09:13:01 PM »
Legion patterns for professions are the worst. I know they made it a joke with Warlords with how easy it was, but I want to be able to make something fun on Gori already =/

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 08:41:26 AM »
If you're below 700 in a crafting profession, it's relatively easy to level it by throwing a modest amount of gold at it, or going back to Draenor and developing your garrison to the point where it generates the resources needed to level the crafting (possibly using the trading post as necessary to convert garrison resources into the thing you want).

If your gathering profession is mining or herbalism, you can also get 16 points per day (herbs, forgotten how many nodes in the mine) from just gathering from the garrison herb garden/mine.