Author Topic: Suramar  (Read 1785 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Suramar
« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2016, 10:12:34 AM »
Once you hit exalted with Nightfallen, is there much (any?) point to doing withered army training?

No, unless (a) you're still getting gear upgrades from the box at the end or (b) you're trying to get the item that'll get you the fox mount.

Or you're a prot paladin trying to get your hidden artifact appearance, which comes from the end chest.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2016, 12:16:57 PM »
.. or WW monk

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: March 22, 2017, 09:12:36 AM »
Now that I'm trying to do this on my druid, I'm trying to figure out what spec to use.  Last night, I tried bear: sure, I don't die, but since I have about 11.9 DPS, bosses casually murder my entire army by the time they die.  I haven't gotten the big chest behind the first boss, so I pulled with 12 withered and had only 2 survive by the end.  Dro was just hilariously painful, but that's mostly because I somehow managed to buttpull an arcane mob, at which point it was "throw keyboard, flip table" time.

I get that there's a large tradeoff here of "first, get Withered upgrades; THEN, think about killing stuff", but I'm wondering if there's a better option other than: go get all the mana cap upgrades, go farm all the ancient mana, and walk in with a pool of 20 and hope that a frenzied army takes out the first boss fast enough to get the upgrade, and then never pull her again.

I suppose using the grappling hook in the city proper and going after mana gems / arcwine / leyblossom petals makes grinding up ancient mana not too painful, but still, ugh.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #33 on: March 22, 2017, 09:18:21 AM »
I did most of it as feral but eventually switched to bear. It's just easier with massive AOE and the ability to taunt things off your withered. Pull carefully until your withered get buffed. Don't take more than the minimum number (you can pick up more inside the instance to port chests out). Don't take on elites unless there's a chest to be had and even then make sure you can have or gather enough survivors to port the chest out. It's tedious but it does eventually work. And you need the rep anyway.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #34 on: March 22, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how to solve the bootstrapping problem: if my withered had buffs, it'd be easier to get the next set of buffs, but starting from scratch, I don't know how to keep 10 alive long enough, since I think most big chests are behind bosses.

I guess I could skip the dryad boss and hope to sneak by Dro into the courtyard -- I'm not sure if Dro patrols the hallway or the courtyard (or both).  If it's both, then okay, RNG time to see how far I get while sending out chests.  Do that a few times until I have a few buffs, and then go after the Dryad treasure chest.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #35 on: March 22, 2017, 10:16:28 AM »
Actually, I found it much easier to gather up the 2000 ancient mana, go in with a full group because your overall firepower is a LOT higher then, and get as far as you can.  I was surprised how much easier it is to take down mobs, even boss mobs with a full 20 enraged withered.  Basically, my goal was to just get far enough to get one big chest each run (further if possible), which got me an incremental improvement in my withered and allowed me to get further the next time.

While ancient mana may seem to hard to accumulate early on, later you can just get tons, so don't worry about stockpiling, just blow them out the hatch and wander around Suramar city to pick up the stashes if you need more.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #36 on: March 22, 2017, 10:25:54 AM »
Having done the Withered Army game on five characters, I think of it as having the following stages (often taking 2-3 runs per stage):

1. Get the +25% health and anti-fear upgrades, and perhaps the first mana rager (probably on a second run).  No bosses are required, so the major threat is the arcane elementals.  You don't have enough DPS to burn them down quickly, so figure out how you're going to interrupt at least one cast and stop their explosion.  Also pull them carefully so that you can use berserking withered on them without pulling additional mobs.  Sometimes I pick up the bank item if I have a spare five withered at the end of a run, because it's so useful.  I usually don't pick up the first berserker yet as I don't feel comfortable going up against the boss it's behind.

2. Get past Dro.  I usually get up to the 2000 mana cap and bring in 20 withered for this, and just beat him up with sheer numbers.  Do figure out if you can stop him from charging around and killing your army; any kind of root, stun, polymorph, or knockback will work.  If you're not a tank, he may kill you, so pick up the Thalryssa buff (this is irritating because you'll have to farm another 50 ancient mana after getting the buff, but whatever) so that Dro dies on the shield instead.  With Dro dead, you have access to the starcaller, spellseer, and second berserker, and (behind a boss) the second mana rager.  You probably also have a big enough army to easily pick up the first berserker.

3. Get past the Elfbreaker.  With around six of the aforementioned upgrades you should be able to burn down most enemies if you start with 12-15 withered.  Let the ettin grab and kill one withered at a time as he does so very slowly, and use stuns/etc to interrupt his stomps.  With the ettin dead, pick up the +25% damage upgrade.  If you still have a big army left afterwards, you can kill the end boss, but you might want to instead go back and pick up other upgrades you haven't gotten yet, as the only reward behind the end boss is a pet.  (On the other hand, you can pick up a fair number of withered on the run up to the end boss.)

4. Get the box of calming whispers.  This is a huge upgrade but requires killing 3+ arcane elementals at once, and having two berserkers in your army to open the door.  I usually go big and build up an army of like 35 withered (starting with 20) before going in, but you probably don't need to.

After all that you can start with just eight withered and trash the place, picking up enough withered along the way to sweep up any remaining rewards (pet, toy, AP item, bank item if you didn't already get it).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2017, 10:28:13 AM by Marco »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2017, 05:22:45 AM »
Yeah, I'm not sure how to solve the bootstrapping problem: if my withered had buffs, it'd be easier to get the next set of buffs, but starting from scratch, I don't know how to keep 10 alive long enough, since I think most big chests are behind bosses.

I guess I could skip the dryad boss and hope to sneak by Dro into the courtyard -- I'm not sure if Dro patrols the hallway or the courtyard (or both).  If it's both, then okay, RNG time to see how far I get while sending out chests.  Do that a few times until I have a few buffs, and then go after the Dryad treasure chest.
If you're not into research and planning, you could do what I did.  Go in each time you get 400 ancient mana and grab the first chest you can lift.  This requires a lot of iterations; I feel like it was successful for my monk healer in tank spec.  (I did eventually get bored and quit, so "successful" is a relative term.)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2017, 08:30:37 AM »
That's basically my goal, actually.  Just, last time, I got zip, so I was like waaaaait I bet someone has a better idea.