Author Topic: Suramar  (Read 1622 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Suramar
« on: August 29, 2016, 12:45:01 PM »
I'm creating this thread ahead of time with a link to a very in-depth Suramar guide by a wowhead user.  You won't care about this zone until you hit level 110, at which point you will likely care about it a lot.

http://www.wowhead.com/guide=4491/comprehensive-suramar-guide

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Suramar
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:28:44 AM »
Today's emissary quest is Suramar.  These award 1500 Nightfallen rep, which is a lot.

My notes on Suramar:

* You'll need to spend an hour or so there after hitting 110 to get friendly with the Nightfallen to unlock world quests.  Beyond that, it's kind of optional; you have to get a lot of Nightfall rep to access to the Arcway or Court of Stars dungeons and any profession quests which require you to go there.  But you can gear up and successfully raid (as far as I know) without doing those.  You can also get that rep slowly by just waiting for the emissary quest to come up and doing easy world quests.

* It's often more challenging than most outdoor content.  I appreciate being a tank with a lot of self-healing when I'm doing quests in the city.

* It's real pretty.

* It has a lot of side quests.  Most of these don't appear to reward Nightfallen rep or build up your base, but they do tend to award a lot of artifact power.

* Withered Army Training is likely to frustrate a lot of people.  It's kind of like tanking a dungeon with the world's most oblivious DPS and an AFK healer.  It feels high-stakes because you can only do it every couple of days.  It's designed so that you do poorly on the initial runs until you get chests containing upgrades for future runs.  It can also be hard at first to know whether to pick up a chest or come back for it later, and it's easy to lose your entire army (and therefore your ability to pick up chests) to a miniboss.  Luckily nothing important seems to gate behind withered army training; it's just a source of Nightfallen rep, and not a very big one in the scheme of things.

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 10:31:50 AM »
Suramar is the greatest zone Blizz has ever implemented in WoW and I want to spend all my time there doing things. Sadly I cannot because I have to, y'know, get gear and stuff. But to add to Marco's fantastic short-hand notes:

* If you're just in it for the WQs, don't get distracted by random exclamation points scattered around the map. You'll want to. You'll see the exclamation mark and be like, "Oh, I'll just do this one before I head over to that area for the WQ." Then you will die of old age before getting to the WQ. The side quests in Suramar all go towards an achievement ("Good Suramaritan") and they last FOREVER. Like, literally forever. For example: I'm pretty sure this is all just a dream and that I've actually been doing the quest line for Jandvik's Jarl since Saturday morning.

* SHIT HERE WILL KILL YOU HARD AND IN GREAT NUMBERS. Mob density is high. If you have a tank spec you should swap to it. As an under-geared mage, I regularly get my ass handed to me because I will try to carefully pull one mob and actually draw three mobs and then some patrolling mob will walk by and aggro and it's just a big mess.

* If you are dedicated, you may want to spend a few hours collecting 1600 Ancient Mana (the "currency" for the region -- easy to come by, and you don't need it all at once) and then unlocking all the leylines for the zone (achievement: "Leyline Bling"). There are eight of them, scattered throughout the zone. Once you've unlocked a certain number you get a permanent buff that procs on attacks (it forms an "erupted leyline" on the ground; if you stand in it, you automatically generate Ancient Mana -- also, the erupted leyline hurts bad guys). Once you've unlocked all of them, you get a permanent buff so that mobs drop more Ancient Mana, which makes it easier to farm Ancient Mana for stuff.

* If you get the super rare fox mount before me I will find you IRL and kill you.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 11:52:25 AM »
I saw someone with the fox mount in a dungeon yesterday or the day before.  He said he had gotten it two days earlier, and it requires running four twelve-hour missions, so he must have gotten the item that starts the quest on day 2 or 3 of the expansion.

I think the buff that makes erupted leylines is temporary and has to be renewed (for an hour) for 50 ancient mana at the main base.  The buff that makes mobs drop more ancient mana is definitely permanent, though.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 12:42:43 PM »
Suramar is the greatest zone Blizz has ever implemented in WoW and I want to spend all my time there doing things.
When I first flew over it, I began to suspect This Zone Made Expressly For Tweed.  When I saw the Masquerade and canals, I almost called you to have you drop everything and go.

Apparently it was good I didn't, as you got more time in the real world before being lost forever.  ;-)

* SHIT HERE WILL KILL YOU HARD AND IN GREAT NUMBERS. Mob density is high. If you have a tank spec you should swap to it. As an under-geared mage, I regularly get my ass handed to me because I will try to carefully pull one mob and actually draw three mobs and then some patrolling mob will walk by and aggro and it's just a big mess.

If you aren't good with avoiding Line-of-Sight and multiple patrols and dodging in baskets and all those skills in the Assassin's Creed games, you might want to quest elsewhere.   (Has there been a drop into a hay wagon?  I keep looking for one.)   Let's just say I'm getting some dividends now from all that trauma in Vanilla and BC playing a holy priest who couldn't tank, kite, or do anything other than die.  It honed my instincts for avoiding aggro very deep in my subconscious.   Of course, by going into Suramar, I'm laying down more trauma on top, but hey, it's a fun game, I swear, no really.

* If you get the super rare fox mount before me I will find you IRL and kill you.

How do you avoid starting getting it?  Since I don't want to die.  I think I'll just run from foxes now until I hear Tweed has it.

I saw that fox mount when Marco did, and it is indeed amazeballs.  I pray you get it soon.  Because avoiding foxes just adds to the patrol avoidance complexity.
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc:  Kikiaru, L37 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior / Rinkitink, L40 Belf Hunter

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 12:49:09 PM »
Getting the fox mount starts with a rare drop (Torn Invitation) which can come from the emissary reward chest, the withered army training chests (I think the little ones that respawn infinitely), or Nightborne Treasure Chests which are just ground items in the zone.  After that you have to run a quest chain.  You can kill as many foxes as you'd like without any risk of getting one by mistake.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 12:54:50 PM »
Of course, I still might not kill foxes, because cute.  But good to know.

Speaking of foxes, what is up with this zone that there are so many damn non-aggressive mobs around?  The AoE penalty is HIGH.

What I love about Suramar is the bizarre mix of tropes flipped on their heads.  It's Logan's Run with the domed city, but the point is to get back in and take it over, instead of get out.  And everyone is immortal instead of dead at thirty.  It's "I Am Legend", but you're on the side of the vampires.  It's Assassin's Creed, but instead of going into the past, you're in the nightmarish future.   Oh and we mixed in drow spider religion too.  It should be a mess, but it keeps working.  At least for me.

Also, if you worry about ancient mana holding limits, there are mana crystals that don't immediately give you the currency, only on click.  Don't use these immediately and you can stockpile them in your bags so you hold more for scarcer times.
« Last Edit: September 06, 2016, 12:56:59 PM by Fallowgrey »
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Sootandash, Tauren Druid
Misc:  Kikiaru, L37 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior / Rinkitink, L40 Belf Hunter

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 01:16:13 PM »
Also, if you worry about ancient mana holding limits, there are mana crystals that don't immediately give you the currency, only on click.  Don't use these immediately and you can stockpile them in your bags so you hold more for scarcer times.

You can also sell them on the auction house, though I've not investigated the prices.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2016, 09:30:26 AM »
Today's emissary quest is Kirin Tor.  The world quests for it are scattered around the map, and are a little different from the usual "kill six rats" quests.

In addition to the usual awards, you can pick a rep token for 750 Nightfallen rep or 1500 of the other reps.  Right now most people will want to pick Nightfallen, which is why I'm talking about random-ass wizards in the Suramar thread.

The important bit: instead of using your token immediately, you can take it to the Darkmoon Faire and ride the carousel to get an extra 10% (75 rep) when you use it.  (Or use a Darkmoon Top Hat.)

http://www.wowhead.com/quest=43179/the-kirin-tor-of-dalaran

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2016, 06:38:17 AM »
Anybody have any tips for Withered training? I've discovered a few things after doing it twice:

- Being a tank makes this a lot easier. Sure, your Withered will do things like run up to the Anomalies who have AoEs, run away with a paper cut, and run out of your ground healing, but being able to ensure that mobs stay on you while your Withered damage them helps.

- The first time I did the run, one of the first mobs I fought was some kind of elite Night Elf swordsman who cut my poor Withered to ribbons. I still got decent rewards (some rep and some gold), so it's worth it to do this even if you fail horribly.

- The second time I prioritized getting some new Withered. They were getting cut down by Volatile Anomalies, but I was able to refresh my army enough that I could grab a 5-Withered chest. I also lost my last Withered with a replacement in sight, and rushed to recruit him-and it succeeded. I don't know if this was a fluke, but I had about 30 seconds of no army to get my numbers back up.

Anyone know how you can get "Withered Berserkers?" I could probably look this up on wowhead, but I want to "engage the community."
o/\o

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2016, 07:08:46 AM »
(Disclaimer: as I said above, withered army training doesn't yield anything terribly important.  It's a source of up to 500 Nightfallen rep every couple of days, and a toy and a pet.  You can get the rep in other ways.)

The guide I posted at the top of this thread has a section on withered army training.  This map is also useful, as is this video guide.

Guides will tell you to get as far as you can and then go back and pick up chests.  This is bad advice at the beginning, because you don't know how far you can get without losing your army, and if you lose your army you can't pick up any chests.  You instead want to target specific upgrades on your early runs.  Referencing the reddit map:

* Blue upgrades only cost five withered, and are the best except when they aren't upgrades (like the bank item or the toy).
* The +25% damage upgrade is the most important, but to get to it you'll have to fight Dro (the swordsman), possibly losing all but one of your army, and navigate past the Elfbreaker (the ettin), who will murder your army if you don't have 20ish withered or a lot of stuns (which as a DH you do not).  If you can get back up to 5 withered after fighting Dro, you can wait for the ettin to path away and sneak over to the chest as your final act.
* The anti-fear and health upgrades can be obtained without fighting Dro, and are pretty useful.

I've been doing this as a tank and spending 2000 ancient mana each run, which is the easiest option.  I miserably failed my first couple of runs, spent the next few runs targeting chests, and was finally able to clear the whole area on my last run except for the room which requires two berkerkers to open.  That'll be my target in the next run, to pick up the Box of Calming Whispers.  Once you pick up all of the boxes, you can just focus on getting to 400 points, which at that point will be easy.

Spec for any stuns or disorients you can; for a vengeance DH this means Fel Eruption and (less important) Quickened Sigils.  You want them for the elementals to stop their explosions until you have to brute force to murder them before they explode.  You want them for Dro to stop him from charging around, and for Elfbreaker to stop his stomps.  Stuns will not be enough if you don't have the DPS to kill enemies before they repeat their mechanics, so it's hard to make a lot of additional progress if you lose all but one of your army to Dro.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2016, 07:25:14 AM by Marco »

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2016, 07:11:24 AM »
Anybody have any tips for Withered training? I've discovered a few things after doing it twice:

- Being a tank makes this a lot easier. Sure, your Withered will do things like run up to the Anomalies who have AoEs, run away with a paper cut, and run out of your ground healing, but being able to ensure that mobs stay on you while your Withered damage them helps.

- The first time I did the run, one of the first mobs I fought was some kind of elite Night Elf swordsman who cut my poor Withered to ribbons. I still got decent rewards (some rep and some gold), so it's worth it to do this even if you fail horribly.

- The second time I prioritized getting some new Withered. They were getting cut down by Volatile Anomalies, but I was able to refresh my army enough that I could grab a 5-Withered chest. I also lost my last Withered with a replacement in sight, and rushed to recruit him-and it succeeded. I don't know if this was a fluke, but I had about 30 seconds of no army to get my numbers back up.

Anyone know how you can get "Withered Berserkers?" I could probably look this up on wowhead, but I want to "engage the community."

So this page on wowhead has everything you want to know about Suramar:  http://www.wowhead.com/guides/suramar .  Now that the obligatory link is out of the way...

You want as many withered as you can get.  Do the stuff to increase your mana pool so you can buy more withered.  There is no time aspect, so go as slow as you need to not lose withered.  The webbed victims have a chance of being a withered you can recruit.  The fights get dramatically easier when you have 20+ withered dps'ing.   You want to get a score of over 400 -- more than that doesn't matter.  Fight as much as you are going to fight, then send go back and pick up the chests you are going to pick up.  There are a bunch of bosses, most of which you can skip. 

Pretty much every mob and boss in the instance is stunnable.  If you can talent in to a stun, do so.  It makes it much easier to decrease the amount of damage your withered take.  If you interrupt the cast of the "Volatile Anomalies" and then when they start doing the uninterruptable cast at low health stun them, you can kill them without taking any withered damage.

There are 3 kinds of chests.  Small chests -- just pick these up immediately as they contain gold & bood & mana.  The other two types of chest consume withered to transport and each can only ever be picked up once:  Glimmering chests and treasure chests.   Glimmering chests unlock new types of withered (including one that lets you see hidden chests).  Treasure chests  contain a mix of things to make your withered army stronger permanently, a toy, a pet, and an item to add a bank to Shal'aran. 

Some of the chests are behind bosses.  If you aren't going to pick up the chest, don't bother killing the boss.  There is one hidden boss, who is a pain, and you tend to find by accident.  There is a "Look out!" emote when he is near.  When he starts bouncing around stun him or he does a lot of damage as he runs through your withered.  He also gives you a key to unlock a door to another area.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2016, 07:24:35 AM »
Nice, thanks, guys.

One other point I forgot to mention, which is obvious but may not be something you think of: you can heal your Withered Army. For non-healers, this means it is worthwhile to bandage your Withered after a particularly harrowing experience, and, since there is no time limit, you could bandage them multiple times.

The damage buff they receive from the default Extra Action Button is +75%, which is significant, so use it when bursting down Anomalies.
o/\o

Gori

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2016, 04:42:37 AM »

Did you get it yet? The quest times on it seem long once you get the initial item to start the quest.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2016, 05:07:46 AM »
A (now, ex-) friend of mine got the tattered note from his first night fallen rep chest, and sent me a pic of him on a fox a couple of days later.