Author Topic: Artifact minmaxing  (Read 1984 times)

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
Re: Artifact minmaxing
« Reply #45 on: December 07, 2016, 07:21:11 PM »
If you were interested in having their artifacts be useful, what you'd want to do is get them to 110 and be slowly building artifact knowledge on them.  That way when you first started doing stuff with them you'd get large AP gains.  With that said, 7.1.5 is going to contain some catch up for artifact knowledge, so its not necessarily useful to do until after that is in place.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2016, 07:00:49 AM by ghoselle »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #46 on: December 24, 2016, 09:20:55 AM »
If you mouse over your artifact level, you get a tooltip showing your artifact knowledge level.  It also displays some additional bonuses:

* Stamina increased by 0.75% for every trait purchased, up to 34 traits.
* [For non-DPS specs] Damage dealt increased by [0.50% for tanks / 1.00% for healers] for every trait purchased, up to 34 traits.

The "up to 34 traits" part of the tooltip is wrong; these bonuses continue to apply at 35+ traits.  I verified this personally with the stamina bonus, and I also found the blue tweet I remembered seeing that says this is intentional: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/803318373664727040

I also found a tweet saying that traits 35+ don't apply in instanced PvP: https://twitter.com/WarcraftDevs/status/805848633434214400

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #47 on: December 30, 2016, 06:56:49 PM »
Players will start reaching the AK cap of 25 in a few days.  We won't see additional AK levels until patch 7.2, which should be a few months away.  This will give a window for players who started late to fully catch up.

Josh Allen (a Blizzard CM, but speaking for himself) jumped into a twitter discussion about the AP grind; wowhead summarized his part of the conversation in this post.  The most interesting suggestion was that perhaps the hidden traits should have been time-gated so that world first guilds weren't running hundreds of mythic+ dungeons to get to it before Trial of Valor progression.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 08:26:54 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2017, 01:31:42 PM »
Once people are at AK 25, it makes sense to think about AP requirements in units of 50,000, which is about what you will get from the average green AP world quest.  In those units:

* It takes 15 units to get to 27 traits, which is around what you need to unlock all three gold traits (varying by weapon and acquisition path).
* It takes 104 units to get from zero to all 34 base traits.
* The hidden trait ranks cost from 33-92 units each, increasing roughly linearly.
* Together, the twenty ranks of the bonus trait cost 1200 units, and a total of 1305 units to go from zero to all 54 traits.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #49 on: March 24, 2017, 07:48:57 PM »
I mentioned this spreadsheet by Binkenstein elsewhere a while ago.  It's been updated to be a bit less cluttered and more useful:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1WUMSQtelc_Hyk181UZJ0GdNvbvRfjWORWud5RfUy9Bk/edit#gid=1181843902

The lines of the most interest are the two curves at the top.  The "2000/day PTR" curve reflects your trait count if you do the equivalent of ten green AP quests per day.  It shows the pre-patch trait count capping out at 39 rather than 54, which reflects how many post-empowered traits you can accumulate AP for pre-7.2.  The higher curve is if you accumulate about eight times that much, which used to mean chain-running mythic+ Maw of Souls.  There is a pretty consistent separation of eight traits between the two curves, which should represent a roughly 4% difference in DPS (or healing output, or... some similar measure for tanking).

Reference points: 42 traits is enough to to get the new gold trait, if you do that before spending a fourth point in any of the core traits.  51 traits is enough to push all 3/4 core traits to 4/4, and at 52 traits you can start investing in the infinite trait (Concordance of the Legionfall).  101 traits is a fully loaded artifact, but the cost curve is too steep for anyone to get there.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:47:28 AM by Marco »

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #50 on: March 27, 2017, 09:56:38 AM »
To put Marco's info in a slightly different form, assuming that your artifact is already 35+, then...

trait #  Cost  min prev rank
1        1.9m      35
2        10m       41
3        13m       46
4        17m       51
5        22m       (impossible)

That is to say, if your weapon is currently at trait... 43 you'll be able to buy 2 new traits (the +10% one, and one additional).

IOW: So long as you're trait 51 or more, you should be able to purchase as many of the new traits as is possible on Tuesday.

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2017, 11:02:03 AM »
Is it better to push for 1 point in Infinite first, or to get 4/4 in the core traits?

Edit: oh wait, is that a dumb question?  Since Infinite is gated by everything, I guess running up the new tree, then going back for core traits, is the way to go?
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 11:11:48 AM by Thanamira »
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #52 on: March 27, 2017, 11:44:47 AM »
I had thought it was possible to take a point in Infinite before getting to 4/4 in all of the core traits, but the current wowhead PTR artifact calculator suggests it is not (as does some recent discussion I saw elsewhere recently).  So I guess the first point in Infinite will be trait #52.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #53 on: March 27, 2017, 12:18:36 PM »
I have the same info as Marco: The wowhead PTR calculator strongly implies that the Infinite trait ("Concordance of the Legionfall") is not available until all other traits have been filled: ie: its the same dump trait as the old version of Infinite. I've also seen discussion elsewhere that corroborates this.

That being said, whether or not you fill out the new, non-infinite traits first, or top up existing traits to 4/4 is a class/spec specific decision. The new "golden" trait for MW is HIGHLARIOUSLY bad, so in my case, I'll be taking a slightly more roundabout route through filling out my weapon.

(For any other MWs, note that Tendrils of Revival is very very good. Its just Effusive Mists and Whispers of Shaohao that are garbage).

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #54 on: March 27, 2017, 05:02:40 PM »
I guess it's unclear to me: What is the straight-forward way to get to the trait number (43?) that gets you the achievement, mount, pet (if any), flying, love and respect of your peers, discounts at department stores, etc.?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #55 on: March 27, 2017, 06:49:00 PM »
I guess it's unclear to me: What is the straight-forward way to get to the trait number (43?) that gets you the achievement, mount, pet (if any), flying, love and respect of your peers, discounts at department stores, etc.?
For flying, complete Legion Pathfinder part 2.  It can take as little as a couple of weeks.  I don't think there's any relationship to your artifact.

For the mount, I believe you complete the campaign (takes a minimum of 11 weeks due to gating) and then do a class-specific quest.  Again, I don't think there's any relationship to your artifact.

For Power Ascended, I believe it turns out you need 52 traits.  I know I said 43 previously; that was based on a faulty assumption from a previous iteration of the wowhead PTR artifact calculator.

So, the shorter-term slow answer is: keep researching artifact knowledge and acquiring AP the regular way (on Yungi or Winston or whatever) until you get to 52 traits.  You should get there somewhere around the end of June.  The order you spend the points in won't affect when you're done, but I'm sure guides will tell you someone's idea of the optimal path.

The longer-term fast answer is: once you have AK 50 on one character, buy an AK 45 tome for an alt and then get the last five ranks the slow way (this will take a couple of weeks).  Then do the equivalent of about 20 green AP world quests to earn 2.2 billion AP.  Spend them in any order you want in order to get 52 traits.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2017, 07:08:17 PM by Marco »

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #56 on: March 27, 2017, 08:01:40 PM »
Now I have all the pet from the current Emissary Chests my alts will take a rest until Andius gets to AK 50. Well other than running Order Hall missions for gold and a few World Quests to keep Order Hall resources levels up.

Also remember to do the broken shore quest before you open your weekly chest.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #57 on: March 27, 2017, 08:10:24 PM »
Also remember to do the broken shore quest before you open your weekly chest.
Quote from: Lore
I've just been informed that, due to the transition between Patch 7.1.5 and Patch 7.2, there will be no AP rewards in the Challenger's Bounty until next week. Feel free to loot your weekly chest immediately, rather than waiting until after you've upgraded your Artifact.
http://us.battle.net/forums/wow/topic/20753795211?page=3#57

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #58 on: May 04, 2017, 08:41:26 PM »
A few notes about where we are in the AP curve:

* If you have any kind of regular AP income, you have probably been able to finish the new traits and begin putting fourth points into the core traits, if you spent pointer in that order.

* If you're following a guide, you probably picked the highest-value core traits to spend points in, and are either approaching the lowest-value points or will e be approaching that point in a couple more artifact knowledge levels.  This means your next few points probably don't have a lot of value, and aren't worth reaching for.

* The 52nd trait (the first point in Concordance of the Legionfall) might be worth reaching for.  I did a simulationcraft run on my balance druid, and it looks like it's worth 1% DPS, which is pretty good for a single trait point (although nothing compared to the old 35th point).  This "reaching" is probably best done after several more artifact knowledge levels.  The four traits leading up to it cost a total of almost 1.5 billion AP, which is an awful lot of even blue world quests at the current AK level.

* The traits after the 52nd are probably ignorable, with each rank only affecting DPS by about 0.1% in my simc run.  I think that's probably too low; it means that during Tomb progression we're not going to get a lot of power creep from our artifacts, assuming most raiders get their 52nd point before Tomb opens.  But it does mean that if you're burned out on grinding AP, you don't need to feel at all guilty about it at that point, as being even ten points behind someone else in the concordance trait (which would reflect a huge difference in relative AP income, given how AK works) would matter only about 1%.