Author Topic: Building a WoW computer  (Read 5823 times)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Building a WoW computer
« Reply #15 on: October 26, 2015, 04:26:08 AM »
Love those little slide trays!

Apert points out that SSD drives are pricey.  But I really want the blue bar to go fast, and I'm anxious about the safety of my cat pictures.  Is it time to give money to Dropbox?

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #16 on: October 26, 2015, 05:57:56 AM »
My point was more along the lines of mirrored SSDs are going to be pricey, overkill, and won't (IMO) adequately address the failure modes that Dog is concerned about. FWIW, my suggestion (for those who wish to offer constructive criticism) was:

* 512GB SSD boot/OS/Apps drive
* Keep existing mirrored drives for data
* additional HDD exclusively for backup

Rationale:

* In theory, there's no critical data on the boot drive. If it fails, no biggie; everything is replaceable. Incriminating photos of Kristin and cats are on the mirrored drive, with a one-drive redundancy. Backup HDD is for DR, and to speed recovery if the SSD fails.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2015, 07:43:12 AM »
Completely agree with Apert about the mirrored setup.  A raid 1 setup will only protect you from hard drive failure (when they go up in smoke), not data lost.  I would recommend looking at either an off-site solution for storing your backup data, or getting an external hard drive to backup on.

As for SSD being pricey, they are compared to a normal hard drive $ to space, but when compared to all of the components that are inside the computer, they are fairly cheap.  With the price range that you gave me, there WILL be an SSD included in there.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: November 11, 2015, 04:50:24 AM »
Since we are getting closer to Thanksgiving break, I wonder if you decided if your going to buy during this break or Christmas break?

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2015, 05:03:33 AM »
Since we are getting closer to Thanksgiving break, I wonder if you decided if your going to buy during this break or Christmas break?
Thanksgiving, if the timing works out.  (This is for fun, so I will put things off if I feel that ordering parts is too stressful or not what I want to do right now.)

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2015, 05:38:11 AM »
Alrighty, I'll put a list together when I get back from my hunting trip.

Some more questions:
You mentioned an after-market CPU cooler in your first post, was this because you want a quiet cooler?
As for the printer/monitor, have you decided if your going to move it?

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 06:27:31 AM »
Now is not the time to buy a new monitor, but I won't turn down a recommendation.  (Should be super cheap by the time I'm ready, right?)

The CPU cooler was bought to be quiet -- it's much larger than the teeny tiny cooler and fan that came with the CPU.  It's also very shiny and copper.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2015, 07:42:42 AM »
Now is not the time to buy a new monitor, but I won't turn down a recommendation.  (Should be super cheap by the time I'm ready, right?)
I won't say that it will be super cheap, but it will most likely be the cheapest good brand 1080p IPS monitor out there. 
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:50:05 AM by Chibe »

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2015, 12:37:12 PM »
Just came across this link...thought I'd share:
http://pcpartpicker.com/
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2015, 12:40:16 PM »
That's a great site.  I used that when I was helping Honor build her PC.  It will make sure every part you have selected is compatible and highlights any potential risks, like having a power supply that's too weak or a motherboard that won't fit a particular case's form factor.

You can also choose to filer what vendors it chooses from so if you don't trust certain vendors you can deselect them and it will choose the best price from other available vendors.  Highly recommend pcpartpicker.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2015, 12:51:19 PM »
Yea, I use PCpartpicker and PChound, personally.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2015, 06:24:30 AM »
Ok, back from my hunting trip and time to put this build list together!

$109 330R Titanium Edition Case
$205 Intel i5-6500 CPU
$117 MSI H170A Gaming Pro Motherboard
$43 G. Skill 8 GB (2x4Gb) sticks
$340 Asus GTX 970 Strix Video Card
$76 EVGA GS 550 Watt PSU
$25 Cooler Master Hyper T4 CPU Cooler
$90 Crucial MX200 250Gb SSD
$153 ASUS 23" 1920 x1080 IPS Monitor

Total Rough Cost: $1158

Notes:
1. There is alot of rebates I did not factor into the total cost.
2. The 970 is actually designed to run without the fans on when your not gaming, and be pretty silent while gaming.  Ask Seni, he owns one and see if he likes it.
3. I did not put on a regular hard drive or a DVD drive.  (forgot if you asked for one and /lazy to look it up if you did)
4. It is pretty hard to find good reviews on the H170 chipset motherboards, so I picked a decent looking one with a company that is pretty good on returns.
5. The other 330R that I linked before is Out of Stock. If it comes back into stock, get that one, since it should be cheaper.
6. Black Friday is a week away, but I am sure 98% it is going to be like the last 8 years and be shit for computer parts.  If there is a good sale online, then it will be very limited stock.

If ya got any questions, just ask.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 06:33:07 AM by Chibe »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2015, 08:48:01 AM »
Thank you!

Did you bring home lots of yummy meat?

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:37 AM »
Nope.  So far, this is my 6th year in a row coming home empty handed.  However, I am going back up after Black Friday to try one last time this year.

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2015, 09:51:00 AM »
The strix gtx 970 card runs pretty much silent except for short bursts of fan-ness when it gets hot. It's relatively noisy when it does fan up but its only for a few seconds, this rarely occurs during normal computing and somewhat more frequently while gaming (every 15 mins or so when you're being demanding of it). If you insist on zero noise whatsoever coming from your computer you might want something else... but in terms of power to noise ratio its certainly your best bet so if a few seconds of fan every so often is acceptable I would recommend. Its a beast of a card that'll ultra most things you throw at it.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:52:34 AM by Seniummortus »