Author Topic: Building a WoW computer  (Read 6348 times)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Building a WoW computer
« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2016, 04:16:34 PM »
So, the CPU cooler is not fitting so well on the motherboard.  It's compatible with LGA 1150, 1155 and 1156, and my CPU is 1151.  I'd put it all together with the cheap little fan that came with the CPU, except that swapping coolers seems to require lifting out the motherboard.

Ugh.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #46 on: January 13, 2016, 04:41:32 AM »
That should not be a problem.  Not 100% sure on the process for that CPU cooler, but most likely, you need to put put on a backplate for the afterstock cooler.  And 1150, 1155, 1156, and 1151 share the same mounting holes, so it doesn't matter.  As for lifting the motherboard out, there is a hole cut into the case already which allows you to install the backplate.

This video might help, since it shows the installation of the backplate inside of the case.

https://youtu.be/BWG73Mom4cY?t=1050

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #47 on: January 13, 2016, 12:47:55 PM »
That should not be a problem.  Not 100% sure on the process for that CPU cooler, but most likely, you need to put put on a backplate for the afterstock cooler.  And 1150, 1155, 1156, and 1151 share the same mounting holes, so it doesn't matter.  As for lifting the motherboard out, there is a hole cut into the case already which allows you to install the backplate.

This video might help, since it shows the installation of the backplate inside of the case.

https://youtu.be/BWG73Mom4cY?t=1050
Oh.  That's what that hole is for.  I feel dumb.

I'm having trouble getting a clip over a prong -- the prong just barely touches some sort of cooler for a nearby chip.  I'll see if I can make it work with some creative screw loosening, but I didn't want to keep going if I actually had a cooler that wasn't compatible.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #48 on: January 13, 2016, 01:31:08 PM »
Oh.  That's what that hole is for.  I feel dumb.

I'm having trouble getting a clip over a prong -- the prong just barely touches some sort of cooler for a nearby chip.  I'll see if I can make it work with some creative screw loosening, but I didn't want to keep going if I actually had a cooler that wasn't compatible.

Clip? Prong?  No idea what you are talking about. 

As for touching stuff, If the massive cooler part is barely touching something, then it's fine, as long as it isn't restrict the cooler on getting an even seat on the CPU. 

If you really feel uncomfortable about installing it, look up some more installation videos on youtube for the Evo 212 or the Hyper T4 CPU Cooler.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 01:33:36 PM by Chibe »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #49 on: January 13, 2016, 04:16:06 PM »
Ok, so here's a picture:

http://images17.newegg.com/is/image/newegg/35-103-182-Z06?$S640W$

You want to look at the front right part of the picture.  There's a skinny thing with loops on each end and a handle, then to the left of that there are two crescent shaped things.  The skinny thing goes through the base of the cooler.  The loops on the end go over the tabs on the crescent shaped things to clamp the cooler down.  Except the tab on one of the crescent shaped things is too close to the rest of the motherboard for the loop to go over it.

I could *probably* unscrew the crescent part way or all the way, spread on the thermal paste, then maneuver the loops and the tabs and the crescents into place and screw them all down.  But I'm not really sure that's a good idea.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #50 on: January 13, 2016, 04:33:42 PM »
Ok, so after watching this video https://youtu.be/iyebTZp4hoo, I understand what your talking about.  You can do exactly that your asking to by unscrewing one of the cresent shaped bars and putting that retainer bar into it.  Just don't move the cooler as much as you can.  When that is all said and done, if you can barely wiggle the cooler and it looks firmer on the CPU, then your good to go.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2016, 04:46:19 AM »
It's up and running, after an Incident with the thermal paste.  I did exactly what the guy in the video said not to do!  The debugging LED's on the motherboard were useful, after ten minutes of googling to figure out what they were saying.

I installed the video card after all, to make the KVM switch work.  It is *so* worth it not to have to swap monitor/mouse/keyboard between computers.

So far, I hate Windows 10.  Hopefully the issues are mostly cosmetic and I'll soon be able to find/do stuff again.  Not sure why it won't let me download and install Geogebra.  For now, I'm blaming the free copy of Norton.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2016, 04:54:12 AM »
Glad to hear that your computer is up and running!  I hope it is silent enough for you.  Also, KVM are a blessing when working with two computers.

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2016, 02:15:20 PM »
Okay.  I took a look at Doghouse.  Here is the build that I came up with.  The price seems a bit high to me, but let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Item Details
Item Name:    Armor ES
Item Price:    $2,430.00
Options:
Armor ES - CPU:Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz Quad Core - Default
Chassis ES:Default - Corsair 500R White Chassis
Armor ES - GPU:1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Video Card - Default
Memory Armor ES:16GB DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX
Desktop Bay 1:Default 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA Drive
Desktop Bay 2:None
Optical Drive - Bay 1:Upgrade to 10x Blu-ray Reader DVD-RW Drive
Optical Drive - Bay 2:None
Operating Systems:Windows 10 Home - Default
Wireless:Wireless 802.11 b/g/n USB 2.0 Adapter
Monitor:No Display
Keyboard Options:Standard Logitech Keyboard
Mouse Options:Standard Logitech Mouse
Software:Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Business - Retail
Preloaded Software:Diablo 3 - Fully Patched
Preloaded Software 2:World of Warcraft - Fully Patched
Preloaded Software 8:Apple iTunes
Preloaded Software 9:Ventrillo
Build Time:Build It - 2-3 Weeks
Warranty:Standard 2 Years Parts & Labor

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #54 on: February 06, 2016, 02:43:37 PM »
I think that machine clocks in at maybe $1200 to $1400 if you bought it in parts.  A lot of what's on the listing is underspecified, and there's nothing about the motherboard and power supply, which is my range there is pretty wide.  $230 of my estimate is the price of Microsoft Office.

In terms of performance, that machine will play today's games fine, although it will have unnecessarily long loading times because it has no SSD.  It's not super high-end, and may start underperforming on games released a couple of years from now.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 08:02:44 AM by Marco »

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2016, 07:48:37 AM »
I remembered to look on Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883230098&SortField=0&SummaryType=0&PageSize=10&SelectedRating=-1&VideoOnlyMark=False&IsFeedbackTab=true#scrollFullInfo

ETA:  If Deo has more than 120Gb of game files, will it be tricky to get them to go to the HDD and not the SSD?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:53:47 AM by HeidiB »

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2016, 07:57:54 AM »
Okay.  I took a look at Doghouse.  Here is the build that I came up with.  The price seems a bit high to me, but let me know what you think.  Thanks.

Item Details
Item Name:    Armor ES
Item Price:    $2,430.00
Options:
Armor ES - CPU:Core i5 6600K 3.9GHz Quad Core - Default
Chassis ES:Default - Corsair 500R White Chassis
Armor ES - GPU:1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Video Card - Default
Memory Armor ES:16GB DDR4-2666 Kingston HyperX
Desktop Bay 1:Default 1TB Western Digital Caviar Black SATA Drive
Desktop Bay 2:None
Optical Drive - Bay 1:Upgrade to 10x Blu-ray Reader DVD-RW Drive
Optical Drive - Bay 2:None
Operating Systems:Windows 10 Home - Default
Wireless:Wireless 802.11 b/g/n USB 2.0 Adapter
Monitor:No Display
Keyboard Options:Standard Logitech Keyboard
Mouse Options:Standard Logitech Mouse
Software:Microsoft Office 2016 Home and Business - Retail
Preloaded Software:Diablo 3 - Fully Patched
Preloaded Software 2:World of Warcraft - Fully Patched
Preloaded Software 8:Apple iTunes
Preloaded Software 9:Ventrillo
Build Time:Build It - 2-3 Weeks
Warranty:Standard 2 Years Parts & Labor

That price is like $1k extra for the warranty and labor for that computer build.  I bet you can find a local computer shop and pay like $100 for labor to build a computer.

Verdict:  Look else where.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »
ETA:  If Deo has more than 120Gb of game files, will it be tricky to get them to go to the HDD and not the SSD?
You have to explicitly manage it, but generally you can do so without problems.  If you get games through Steam, you can set up a library on each disk and select which library each game is installed to.  (Moving installed games between libraries is possible, but more of a manual process than one might like.)  A game with a standalone installer will generally have an option for where to install to.  Blizzard's launcher also has an option to choose the location when you install a game.

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2016, 07:45:48 AM »
Thanks for the discussion so far.

For the link Hedi provided, the reviews are all very good, with the exception that there is no CD ROM drive, which is something I would need. 

Poking a bit and pushing up a couple numbers, I get this link:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883102108&cm_re=gaming_pc%2c_ssd-_-83-102-108-_-Product

The price is $1749 and the listed specs are below.

The picture shows a CD ROM drive, but it isn't listed in the specs, and the specs mention a keyboard, but no mouse, and a mouse is pictured (I would be getting a trackball mouse separately).  It also doesn't mention USB ports.  In general, I will probably go with something similar, but scaled down a bit (I don't see my needing 3TB of space), but in general, how does this seem?

Learn more about the ABS ALI040
Model

Brand
    ABS Computer Technologies

Model
    ALI040

Quick Info

Type
    Gaming & Entertainment

Usage
    Consumer

Processor
    Intel Core i7-5820K 3.3 GHz

Processor Main Features
    64 bit 6-Core Processor

Cache Per Processor
    15 MB L3 Cache

Memory
    32 GB

Storage
    3 TB HDD + 240 GB SSD

Graphics
    NVIDIA Geforce GTX 980 4 GB

Power Supply
    600W

Operating System
    Windows 10 Home 64-Bit

Motherboard

Chipset
    Intel X99

CPU

CPU Type
    Intel Core i7

CPU Speed
    5820K (3.30 GHz)

L3 Cache Per CPU
    15 MB

CPU Main Features
    64 bit 6-Core Processor

Graphics

GPU/VGA Type
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 4 GB

Memory

Memory Capacity
    32 GB

Hard Drive

SSD
    240 GB

HDD
    3 TB

Keyboard

Keyboard Type
    USB Keyboard

Packaging

Package Contents
    Wireless N 150 USB Adapter Included

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2016, 07:55:56 AM »
If you only occasionally need an optical drive, an external USB optical drive can be had for about $25.

The specs you just posted are pretty high-end, and should perform well for at least a few years.