Author Topic: Building a WoW computer  (Read 4553 times)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Building a WoW computer
« Reply #30 on: December 25, 2015, 05:13:21 PM »
Finally getting around to this -- Thanksgiving got eaten by holiday shopping and I don't want to buy my shiny new computer in a stressy rush.

At the risk of confirming myself as a complete fruitcake and casual gamer, I invite you to take a look at this site and let me know what you think of the recommended CPU coolers.  I really, really like quiet computers!

http://www.quietpc.com/lga1156-coolers

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: December 26, 2015, 09:54:23 AM »
I was wondering if you got around to ordering those parts during thanksgiving.  The list that I made before is pretty much obsolete, and I need to make a new one.  Any idea when your going to be ordering again?

As for the CPU cooler selection.  Usually the big coolers with the 120mm fans on are silent minus the noise of wind hitting the fins (VERY quite), and you can usually controller the speen of the fan when attached to a fan header on the motherboard.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2015, 02:30:25 PM »
Ordering Real Soon Now -- maybe tomorrow.  Your list looks good to me, and a lot of the stuff has come down in price.  The hard drives may be locked in at this point.

I read the reviews on the case and approve and I'm loving your choice of power supply.  Still making up my mind on the CPU cooler and video card.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »
For the CPU Cooler, I went with the T4 because it's :
1. A 120 mm fan which can be very quiet at low RPMs and can be replaced with a quieter 120mm fan if the stock fan at low RPMs doesn't work out for you.
2. Fits inside of the 330R case.  Was looking at pointing you at 212 EVO, but that would be a very tight fit.

As for the video card, there is a few videos out there showing how loud/quiet the video card:https://youtu.be/aRTE_3NrgqQ
And here is a video card review: http://hardocp.com/article/2014/11/03/asus_gtx_970_strix_directcu_ii_video_card_review/
And don't forget, you can also put a custom fan control curve on the fan, just as long as you don't let the card go over 85 C.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #34 on: December 27, 2015, 10:07:38 AM »
I'm probably going to go with I ordered Windows 10 Home, and the video card I actually want costs one fifth of the price of what you're recommending, so why not?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102960

It's very sweet of you to try to drag me out of the dark ages of video display, but I find myself comfortable here.  ;)

Please let me know ASAP if you think Windows 10 is a mistake.

Thank you so much for your help!  Left to my own devices, I'm sure I'd order mismatched MB, CPU, power supply and case.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2015, 11:33:32 AM by HeidiB »

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #35 on: December 27, 2015, 04:17:54 PM »
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102960

You do know that card is now a legacy card?  That it's so old that it no longer gets regular updates?  I am still going to recommend on getting that 970.  If it really comes down to it, you can buy that 970 and return it if the sound bothers you.

Also, windows 10 is fine.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2015, 05:14:26 PM »
Yeah, I figured.  We'll see how it goes!

Thanks again!  Let me know if you need any flasks, or frostbloom or baked goods.  ;)

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2015, 06:34:28 PM »
No problem.  How the computer building goes well for you.

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: December 28, 2015, 06:45:27 AM »
I am Dogwood's roommate, and am also in need of a new computer.  I jokingly mentioned that I should jump into her thread and ask for advice as well, and she said go ahead.

In the incompatible roommate type of way, I do not have the skill/inclination to build a machine myself, so I would be looking for one pre-built.  Price range around $2K.  I currently have a monitor, though would not be averse to getting a new one if necessary.  This is primarily a games machine (WoW and Steam games, such as Skyrim and Fallout 4), with Netflix viewing and browsing.  I would need a version of Office, and I would like to have a version of VMWare (virtual machine) software, as my work occasionally requires telework with custom software, and that software updating caused issues that is one of the reasons my current machine is dying.  As the machine will be on the other side of the wall from Dogwood's bedroom, the machine should tend towards the silent side as well.  I've been told that my temperament is such that an apple computer might drive me insane.  I've used Dell before (my current computer is an AlienWare I bought through them), but I've found that support from them for software issues has been hit or big miss, and I would like to be able with my new computer to have reliable support.

Are there any suggestions?  I'm looking to buy in the next month or so.

Thanks.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #39 on: December 28, 2015, 07:10:02 AM »
I'm not sure how many of us have recent experience with pre-built systems.  You could try DogHouse Systems; they have an offering near the $2K price point, are oriented towards gaming, and charge a price premium in order to (supposedly) provide strong support.  They offer a double-the-memory deal if you enter a promotional code ("TTT" is one, but there are probably dozens, some of which are slightly different).

For virtualization, you might try VirtualBox.  It's free, it's widely used, and in my experience it's easy to get started with and works well.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2015, 07:56:58 AM »
I can't give you help on which service to pre-build your system.  I know there is alot of these computers out there, like OriginPC, Falcon NorthWest, and Maingear to name a few (have no experience with them).  For the monitor, it might be cheaper not to buy one through the pc builder, but through Newegg.  As for the CPU, do not get the intel processors that has the letter K at the end, since those processors have VT disabled on them.

Other than that, post your shopping cart into this thread and I'll give my opinion if it's a good price or not.  Do not buy an Alienware PC.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2015, 01:07:13 PM »
I just did some checking on that video card you ordered.  It is better to use your integrated video card off the CPU than using that video card.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2015, 03:39:11 PM »
Thanks  :)

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #43 on: January 01, 2016, 05:53:04 AM »
Got all the parts *except* the motherboard.  Oops!  I love the magnetic cat hair filter on the case!

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #44 on: January 01, 2016, 07:49:54 AM »
Got all the parts *except* the motherboard.  Oops!  I love the magnetic cat hair filter on the case!

I love the filters I have on my case.  It catches most of my cat's hair as well.