Author Topic: School of Hard Knocks  (Read 2832 times)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
School of Hard Knocks
« on: May 02, 2010, 03:08:13 PM »
I am in the somewhat unenviable position of having http://www.wowhead.com/achievement=1786 as the sole barrier between me and a large purple draconic thingy.

This is a terribly irritating achievement that involves doing 4 pvp challenges with your orphan out. This is particularly awful for someone like me who has no pvp 'skillz' or gear. The most egregious, of course, is returning a fallen flag in WSG, so that almost requires a premade, especially for a healer.

Is anyone else pursuing this achievement who'd like to team up to try to make the misery a little easier to bear?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: School of Hard Knocks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2010, 03:23:26 PM »
As a master flag returner, my advice is to start advancing on the target (flag carrier) when they get low, when they are about to die, start right clicking over your head while continuing to run forward. This will increase your chance to return the flag while compensating for lag.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2010, 07:13:09 PM »
My memory of this is a little hazy, but I think I did this with the help of the Horde. I was defending near the flag, along perhaps with others who had their orphans out. The Horde came in, pick up the flag, then dropped it. He did this once for each of us. Then he whipped the tar out of us (orphan out = PvP n00b), picked up the flag, and ran off.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2010, 07:37:15 PM »
We got Gwyddyon (and a couple of other people) the WSG and EotS steps in a post-raid group.  There was a cooperative horde flag-picker-upper involved in WSG.  The EotS match was more competitive (well, sort of; the horde won something like 1600-400 in points, but we got in plenty of flag caps), but still successful.

deobryn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2010, 10:21:34 PM »
I am also in this position.  If a future raid group wants to get together to work on this, I am interested.

Malfeetsense

• Case of the Mondays Member
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2010, 11:03:44 AM »
I also got this with the help of hordies. Both teams took turns picking up the flag and dropping it in the flag room to allow others to get their achievement. It was actually a tender moment across races. I got a kick out of it. I just used /flee to tell them I wasn't playing nice anymore.

sidenote to the stealth class pvp noobs: If you stealth and have an orphan out.... I can see where you are going :P Its pretty hilarious chasing a rogue's orphan down to drop consecrate on his head. (don't think they fixed this but I could be wrong)
"I didn't grow up in the ocean -- as a matter of fact -- near the ocean -- I grew up in the desert. Therefore, it was a pleasant contrast to see the ocean. And I particularly like it when I'm fishing." --George W. Bush

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2010, 12:03:31 PM »
I also got this with the help of hordies. Both teams took turns picking up the flag and dropping it in the flag room to allow others to get their achievement. It was actually a tender moment across races. I got a kick out of it. I just used /flee to tell them I wasn't playing nice anymore.

sidenote to the stealth class pvp noobs: If you stealth and have an orphan out.... I can see where you are going :P Its pretty hilarious chasing a rogue's orphan down to drop consecrate on his head. (don't think they fixed this but I could be wrong)

That's why you use Eggbert. Little nut runs everywhere and confuses the enemy.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2010, 01:20:38 PM »
aparently there are people being nice in AV too.  people uncapping towers so people can assult
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2010, 01:27:33 PM »
aparently there are people being nice in AV too.  people uncapping towers so people can assult

Yes, actually. When I went down to TP, there was a line about 15 people long and 1 blood elf mage recapping it for us. Then some jerk horde came in, a bear and a healer, and he kept swiping. That was no fun. I failed to cap the first time, so I went to another AV, and IBT was full of horde that just let me cap it. I thanked them and afk'd out (as it was my last one).
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Aviel

• Feral Cat Mistress
  • Three Rivers Member
  • Master of the Kitty-Fu
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 03:35:19 AM »
I still need WG, the cooperativeness seems to have ended. Even on our own side. I was in one game where the same Alliance guy kept getting the flag every single time, despite people asking nicely over BG to stop. I even went to Horde, picked up and dropped the flag for them. I was rewarded with an immediate death.

I was very much hoping for BGs where people were helping each other, and it wasn't to be. Left me in a foul mood last night and no achievement.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 04:20:18 AM »
I still need WG, the cooperativeness seems to have ended. Even on our own side. I was in one game where the same Alliance guy kept getting the flag every single time, despite people asking nicely over BG to stop. I even went to Horde, picked up and dropped the flag for them. I was rewarded with an immediate death.

I was very much hoping for BGs where people were helping each other, and it wasn't to be. Left me in a foul mood last night and no achievement.

Please be aware that there are people who play BG's because they enjoy it, and this achievement is ruining their fun. Isle and Strand are the only ones safe to actually PvP in, because people get mad if you try to win one of the other games before they get their achievement.

I'm not saying there are not jerks that are getting enjoyment out of griefing you...but there are others who are getting annoyed. And its not your fault or their fault. Its Blizzard's fault for making stupid achievements like this one.