Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 2608 times)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2016, 06:57:28 PM »
There are some characters that don't require aiming.  You should try Winston, for instance.    Also some of the support characters are more about setting up turrets alike.   There are also characters like bastion which are more powerful when you aren't moving.

You can't completely get away from the twitch, but since it's about team work, there is a variety in the way the characters work, so some of them are less twitch.

Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #31 on: May 03, 2016, 07:01:46 PM »
This video is quite long, so you might not have the patience for it, but it's a nice summary of the characters:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BnHr5kwVw90

Winston is at 33:50.

I also find that if you aren't as good at twitch, play a tank.  (Winston is a tank.)
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #32 on: May 07, 2016, 09:15:01 AM »
I'm not normally into PvP-only games, but Overwatch is surprisingly fun.  People in pick-up games mostly don't seem to want to play support, so I've been playing Mercy a lot.  She's comparatively easy to play (essentially no aiming required) and can output a lot of healing quickly, making a big difference to the team.  Although the game is fundamentally twitchy in the sense that it's fast-paced and rewards quick reactions, almost half of the heroes have minimal reliance on traditional FPS aiming.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #33 on: May 07, 2016, 11:41:07 AM »
People in pick-up games mostly don't seem to want to play support,

"Fine!  I'll heal." < / Hearthstone>

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2016, 04:28:15 PM »
The open beta has been extended to May 10th 10am PDT (1pm EDT)

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2016, 09:42:21 AM »
I'm not normally into PvP-only games, but Overwatch is surprisingly fun.  [...] Although the game is fundamentally twitchy in the sense that it's fast-paced and rewards quick reactions, almost half of the heroes have minimal reliance on traditional FPS aiming.

Ditto this for me.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2016, 03:16:59 AM »
New Overwatch short is out. I continue to love the IP and will wait for Blizz to do something else with it. I appreciate that they don't entirely rely on FPS twitch but I'm just not psyched to pay full price for a game I'm likely to suck at and can't even be sure I'd want to play. At least with Diablo I could play through single-player and have some fun before giving it up (because I'm not that good at it and don't like that sort of grind).

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2016, 08:16:25 PM »
Today is the formal Overwatch release date. I received my PS4 disc from Amazon, put it in, waited three hours for the update to install... then discovered that Overwatch on the PS4 requires a Playstation Plus account ($50/year) to use it at all. I'm returning the disc.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2016, 04:54:29 AM »
Will they take away your pet?

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2016, 06:02:59 AM »
I've already redeemed the digital code with Blizzard, and I don't think that's refundable. That basically means I bought "Overwatch - Origins Edition" but will try to trade-in "Overwatch".

As of the last time I checked (yesterday) it was not yet possible to trade-in Overwatch PS4 via Amazon. Maybe it will never be. If so, it means that I basically spent $50 for a pet. It wouldn't be the first time, and (Goddess help me) it probably won't be the last.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 06:47:55 AM »
Well, is anyone on here willing to give Winston some scratch to get a pristine copy of Overwatch for PS4?
o/\o

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2016, 05:12:27 PM »
I don't expect anyone to take advantage of the offer, but let me acknowledge: <3 Edalia!
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2016, 04:08:17 PM »
For some reason, the Overwatch sound files include every character's voice actor saying the numbers from one to five (even Bastion).  As far as I know these clips aren't used in the game.  Naturally, these clips have been imported into DBM as options for countdown warnings.  So, even if you have no interest in a team PvP FPS, every WoW raider can get something out of the game.  I'm thinking of using Symmetra and Reaper, personally.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2016, 06:51:02 PM »
This reminds me: It turns out that it's too much effort for too little return to trade-in at Amazon (they no longer send you a pre-paid shipping envelope for game trades). So I'm going to modify Edalia's suggestion: If you want Overwatch for PS4 (with the Noire Widowmaker skin, but no other digital goodies) mail me a prepaid shipping envelope and I'll give it to you.

Remember: You need a PS+ subscription to play this. You don't get anything but the opening cinematic (no tutorial, no play against the AI, nothing) without PS+.
Bill Seligman

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #44 on: June 21, 2016, 01:17:03 PM »
Jeff Kaplan made a post about the Overwatch matchmaking system, which I think is applicable to any team-based PvP system:

http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20745504371#post-3

This part was disappointing even if I understand the reasoning:
For example, we recently realized that “Avoid this player” was wreaking havoc on matchmaking. One of the best Widowmaker players in the world complained to us about long queue times. We looked into it and found that hundreds of other players had avoided him (he’s a nice guy – they avoided him because they did not want to play against him, not because of misbehavior). The end result was that it took him an extremely long time to find a match. The worst part was, by the time he finally got a match, he had been waiting so long that the system had “opened up” to lower skill players. Now one of the best Widowmaker players was facing off against players at a lower skill level. As a result, we’ve disabled the Avoid system (the UI will go away in an upcoming patch). The system was designed with the best intent. But the results were pretty disastrous.
Cree and I have been using the "avoid" feature on trash-talkers.  Occasionally the trash-talking seems reportable, but usually it's just obnoxious.  (I don't think saying "ezpz" in match chat after a stomp is harassment, but I don't really want to see it.)  I was hoping that the avoid system would lead to those people being mostly grouped with each other, while people like me could be rid of them.  Jeff does say in a later reply:
For toxic or inappropriate players, continue to use the "Report" and "Block" features. Reporting really does work and eventually results in action being taken against those players. You're helping everyone if you use "Report". We'll continue to iterate and improve on features which help you get rid of toxic players from your experience.
I just don't know what rises to the level of reportable chat.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2016, 01:22:52 PM by Marco »