Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 2609 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #15 on: November 11, 2015, 09:15:14 AM »
Yeah.  This game will be very different if you haven't played TF2 or some kind of team based FPS.  Overwatch is to TF2 like Heroes of the Storm is to LoL.  While there are faint hints of MOBA elements here, this is way more TF2 than it is MOBA.

The one thing that Heroes and other MOBA games are working towards is making them more accessible to new players.  I think a lot of people's reaction to this game will be "I'm interested in it, but I'm not good at this kind of game and don't want to just get pasted against the wall nonstop"

MOBA games handle this by allowing you and friends to play against bots of varying skill levels.  I think that was a great thing they did since you can play without the pressure of unknown people on your team and just happily fight the AI.  Hell when I was playing a lot of Unreal Tournament, I played mostly bot matches and had a blast.  I hope they do the same thing here eventually?  But right now it looks like if you want to play with friends, it has to be against other players.  You can do a solo botmatch that's an FFA match, but it seems solely geared towards learning a hero than actually letting a match play out.

The regular matches have all the TF2 style gameplay.  You attack a point and then move the mine cart along.  Or you defend a point or play some variant of domination or CTF.  They're all class match types and when you join it is randomly picked.  I think each map can have several game types on it, but I haven't delved too far into that.

The team building is really nice.  Like Honor said it will highlight issues.  IE: Too many snipers, no healers, no tanks, not enough damage dealers, etc.  A problem for these kind of games is when people pick their own thing, these problems happen.  By highlighting it, I think random team comps won't be as crappy as they would in similar games of this nature.

I think every match is 6 on 6?  I don't know if they have plans for smaller maps for smaller team sizes or larger ones either. 

Also while there are 4 roles, I think there are sub-genres.  IE: Sniper isn't a role, but it's clearly a class type identified by the game since it can tell you "Too many snipers"  I think all snipers are defense roles.  Like Honor also said, offense and defense are both damage dealers.  I think defense are more for holding ground, so they're less mobile, while offense is for gaining ground, so they're a lot more mobile.  They both can kill shit really well, it's a matter of mobility.

Anyway.  I think there's some good stuff here and I'm kind of excited to see the Blizzard take on TF2.  I think the Blizzard take on MOBA/LoL has been a positive thing for the genre and they've made a more accessible MOBA with Heroes, and I hope they do the same thing with Overwatch.

The features I'd really most like to see are things that assuage a lot of the fears I see here.  I think the "I'm really bad at this kind of game type, but I really want to play this game type" keeps a lot of people from playing this.  (And I think these same sentiments exist for MOBA.  I mean that is 100% why I don't play HToS or LoL against people.  I'm not good at TF2?  But I'm comfortable enough with it and the game type to be comfy jumping into Overwatch matches and know that even if I die a shitload, it's not that bad and for the most part I won't get bitched out since there's minimal communication)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: November 11, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
Also while there are 4 roles, I think there are sub-genres.  IE: Sniper isn't a role, but it's clearly a class type identified by the game since it can tell you "Too many snipers"  I think all snipers are defense roles. 

I think this may be a new distinction in how a damage dealer does damage -- they actually just put in some restrictions to nerf McCree at long range because people who were very skilled at FPS were sniping with him and it basically made there be no reason to ever play Widowmaker, etc.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:45:50 AM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #17 on: November 17, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
Ultimately not really my thing, but I know we've got some FPS guys who really want into beta here so here's some updated information on beta weekends henceforth. Keep your eyes peeled!
http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/blog/19964704/overwatch-beta-test-weekend-november-20-23-11-17-2015

Basically: There's a stress test this weekend and people who are in will have Overwatch flagged as downloadable in their b.net launcher after maintenance on Thursday.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 02:03:03 PM by Honorata »

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 04:16:44 PM »
Heh just got an Overwatch beta invite.  Well, provided it's not phishing; I haven't carefully checked...  www.blizzard.apertisthebesryessir.com?  Sounds legit.

I wonder if I remember how to dualboot to Windows.  Hopefully it won't autodegrade me to Windows 10.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2015, 06:08:33 PM »
Played two games as Tracer; definitely an interesting game.  Not sure how it's trying to group people -- is it attempting to rate me, and thus put me with other TAFPSs?  (Terrible At First Person Shooters)

Games are mercifully short.  No abuse that I saw (which I am very sensitive to -- any whiff of that, and I'm like, okay, I don't need this).

Me being me, I'd rather play with friends than with polite strangers.  I know, I know, such shocking news.  :)
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2015, 08:38:10 PM »
I like FPS.  (Though I am not good at them.)

It's taken me a bit to get used to Overwatch.  I think it has potential, but I think (as expected with a beta) they still have a ways to go.

Today I did feel like the matches started to match my skill better, so I feel like there must be an internal rating system that is putting me in more even matches (thought it is hard to know for certain.)  If so, that's a big win for me.

I've not played TF2, so this might not be new for most people, but getting used to a role system in a FPS is a little interesting, though I feel like the categories are not always that clear.  (ie, some tanks are tankier than others) and they have a long way to go for balance (some of the characters I've never seen in an actual match.)   I also feel that two to three powers and a special is a little bit simplified compared to the weapon choices you might get in other games.

I hope they make the game play options a little more varied (right now we have go to point A and either attack or defend it or go to point A, attack and defend it and if you do, point A slowly moves.)   If nothing else a CTF would be nice.   I also hope they improve the visceral feedback.   It is very hard to tell when you've hit someone after the initial health bar pops up except for chain guns where you can easily hear the change of sound effect.

It has a ways to go before I would pay $40 for it.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2015, 08:40:00 PM by Cree »
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #21 on: November 23, 2015, 09:44:04 AM »
Today I did feel like the matches started to match my skill better, so I feel like there must be an internal rating system that is putting me in more even matches (thought it is hard to know for certain.)  If so, that's a big win for me.

There is an MMR system, so you will be matched more closely to your skill level.
o/\o

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: February 09, 2016, 09:27:22 AM »
New Overwatch Progression system announced (It's all cosmetic): http://www.pcgamer.com/jeff-kaplan-talks-overwatch-progression-unlocks-and-beta-invites

New maps & new game mode coming: http://us.battle.net/forums/en/overwatch/topic/20421003773

Overwatch beta updated today, I think new people got in? Idk. Not following super closely.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2016, 07:49:39 AM »
For people who are playing it, I'd like to know if they've made the curve any less punishing. I really like the Overwatch IP and would totally play a single-player game based on it, but this is a game type I'm not good at and the previous beta made it seem exceptionally unforgiving.

It's interesting to me that Blizzard is putting this thing out with such a high wall for new players while at the same time going to great lengths to make Hearthstone as easy a ramp as possible for new folk.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2016, 01:56:56 PM »
It's interesting to me that Blizzard is putting this thing out with such a high wall for new players while at the same time going to great lengths to make Hearthstone as easy a ramp as possible for new folk.

Well, they're not putting it out yet-it's still in Beta. The new player experience was one of the ones they were working on during the last beta round.
o/\o

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #25 on: March 23, 2016, 06:46:08 PM »
I'm a scientist too! A short film featuring Winston.

https://youtu.be/sB5zlHMsM7k
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: March 24, 2016, 06:11:34 AM »
I loved that video (still totally loving the Overwatch IP in general) but it repeats the mistake of confusing "scientist" and "engineer".  Winston, like most famous media "scientists" is actually an engineer, who builds things and does practical research/experiments to build better things. When Winston proposes a new theory of shield function I'll grant he's a scientist =P

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #27 on: March 24, 2016, 04:18:27 PM »
Good point. I'll put back my banana.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2016, 10:41:33 AM »
Overwatch open beta will begin at May 4 at 4:00 p.m. PDT (7pm est) complete free on all supported platforms for everyone if you are curious to try it.   

Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2016, 06:53:44 PM »
I had access to the Overwatch beta starting today, and gave it a try.

As I suspected, this is a game that's all about the twitch reflex. I could beat the training AI, but only because the other AI teammates covered me. I have no chance at playing this game "for real." The only reason I'd play it is if Blizzard announced a WoW pet for reaching some Overwatch level or achievement.

I kind of hoped that the game would be more like Heroes of the Storm, in which I could kind of hold my own if I was playing with a team of human players vs. AI opponents. Oh, well.
Bill Seligman