Author Topic: Overwatch  (Read 2471 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Overwatch
« on: August 05, 2015, 03:01:44 PM »
The game logo for Overwatch, Blizzard's new hero-based FPS, appeared on my battle.net launcher today.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
Re: Overwatch
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 03:11:49 PM »
*Sigh* Why do I get the feeling that there'll a WoW pet award as part of the introduction of this new game?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2015, 04:31:07 AM »
For those who don't run the launcher, there's a 6-minute story intro video that is totally worth watching: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqnKB22pOC0

And a link to the learn-more page: http://us.battle.net/overwatch/en/

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2015, 05:09:22 AM »
So this is like Heroes of the Storm, except that it features new intellectual property and is first-person?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2015, 06:14:52 AM »
So this is like Heroes of the Storm, except that it features new intellectual property and is first-person?

HotS is like DotA, and this is Blizzard's Team Fortress 2. I guess they're similar in that they're multiplayer, F2P action games, but MOBAs and FPS arenas are different genres entirely.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2015, 06:18:47 AM »
I've had a great time watching the gameplay videos: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLAYFVhxsaqDvbsKX5TJd869r64aFQ4N52
o/\o

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2015, 03:21:09 PM »
Mitch and I got into the Overwatch beta, so we'll be playing around with that sometime in the future if Fallout 4 doesn't eat him instead. I'm not a big FPS guy, but Lϊcio looks really fun, so. We'll see.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2015, 10:15:22 PM »
I played a bit of this tonight after raid.  Messed around against AI to learn a few heroes then did about 5 random matches.

It's very, very TF2 but I feel like the health pools are a bit larger so it doesn't quite have the same insta-death.  It's not like older school FPS games, but it's not as bad as Call of Duty and even TF2.  I feel like if I get into a fight I can survive long enough to do something about it.  The tank classes feel especially meaty as well.

They've got way more classes/heroes than TF2...but effectively it's kinda similar since in TF2 you can give them different loadouts.  The different heroes have a variety of traversal mechanics to set them apart though, so there's some creative ways they can get around a level to get the jump on someone.  They need to do a LOT of balance work though since it definitely feels like some classes are way more powerful than others.  One thing they do I really like is their post match wrap ups.  The winning team has an MVP, and they do a great job of actually picking the real MVP.  As an example there is a tank hero who can put up a huge barrier their team can take cover behind.  They don't do a whole lot of damage, but they can soak a ton up with the shield.  They did a killer job being in the right place with the shield and giving their team cover.  Despite barely doing any damage and never killing anyone?  They got the MVP.  So they do a good job of looking at the impact support and tank classes do instead of just who did the most damage or who healed the most.

Anyway, at the end of the day?  This game feels like 80% TF2 with about 20% LoL in there.  The classes each have more abilities and differences than a TF2 class seems to and the abilities themselves have more in common with LoL style.  They all have CDs, and you have an ultimate you charge up by doing what your class does.

I'll probably keep playing matches every now and then.  I mostly get rocked, but I had a few good games as Genji.  (...who is OP as fuck right now)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015, 10:29:18 PM »
Some other notes:
* The game will tell you when your queue pops if your current comp is missing characters of a specific role -- someone is encouraged to change role at this point and play a different hero.
* You can switch heroes mid-match when you're in the spawn room, and it's kind of encouraged to do so if you need a different comp to beat the team you're up against.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2015, 04:41:00 AM »
*Sigh* Why do I get the feeling that there'll a WoW pet award as part of the introduction of this new game?

I just wish there was a way to get the pet they include in their other games without buying the collectors edition of the game. I have no problem with the pets being bumbled with the special edition but also put it in the store so if I want the pet I do not have the buy the expensive version of the game which I would not play. I'm assuming there is no single player story to the game?
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: November 11, 2015, 07:20:33 AM »
I just wish there was a way to get the pet they include in their other games without buying the collectors edition of the game. I have no problem with the pets being bumbled with the special edition but also put it in the store so if I want the pet I do not have the buy the expensive version of the game which I would not play. I'm assuming there is no single player story to the game?

Come on now, you don't think it's specifically why there is a pet/D3 Wings/HotS skin/HS Card back? They know how to get your dollars.
o/\o

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2015, 07:34:41 AM »
I'm assuming there is no single player story to the game?

I don't think they have any plans for this. Right now your options are:

• The tutorial (I'm not sure if you can do this with different characters? it forced me to be Soldier 76 when I went through it -- but it's also just a basic intro to controls and mechanics of the game. The enemies don't fight back.)
• Single-player bot games. These are nice for exploring maps (setting it to zero enemies) or testing out a new non-support/tank character (setting it to 1), but not very useful beyond that since you can't do bot games with friends and even on easy the AI seems tuned pretty high for a new player.
• Private matches – We're not sure if you need a full team of 6 on each side for this (and therefore it's for private tournaments) or if you can goof around with a few friends in these. Mitch and I will experiment with this tonight. These also have 4 spectator slots, which will be nice for ESPORTS.
• Random queue PvP matches – not sure if you can queue with friends, and there is some sort of internal MMR system for this (My MMR will eventually be set to "we're not sure how she walks down the stairs on her own" so.)

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #12 on: November 11, 2015, 08:01:24 AM »
This is sort of a weird aside question but are there tools for dealing with assholes?

LoL is basically defined by the perception that every single player is a giant flaming asshole all the time who will curse you out for making even the smallest of mistakes. And if this has LoL DNA, even 20%, even 1%, I don't want anything to do with it because of that implied trait.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: November 11, 2015, 08:20:05 AM »
• Single-player bot games. These are nice for exploring maps (setting it to zero enemies) or testing out a new non-support/tank character (setting it to 1), but not very useful beyond that since you can't do bot games with friends and even on easy the AI seems tuned pretty high for a new player.

Ah, is that what it is?  I tried a few 1v1 bot games which convinced me that I (still) suck at this kind of game and should not purchase it.  It was also not clear to me from the tutorials that one is intended to be on a team and have roles such as tank and whatnot.  I get the sense that all of this will be easy/familiar to people who already play a lot of these kinds of games and I'm just a noob with no clue.  So perhaps I'm not the intended buying audience for this game?

It's a shame, because I like the aesthetic and the fact that it's a new IP, not just recycling existing IP.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 11, 2015, 08:38:14 AM »
I tried a few 1v1 bot games which convinced me that I (still) suck at this kind of game and should not purchase it.
Yeah, I got different results with different characters doing a few 1v1 matches. I had some success with Pharah (probably a good starting hero if you want to try Offense) but totally failed with Zarya (apparently a pretty difficult tank character).  So some of your failures may have been character choice -- one of the WoW healing bloggers I follow made the mistake of trying to do a 1v1 bot match as a support and spoilers: aside from Symmetra, support have really low damage output.

It was also not clear to me from the tutorials that one is intended to be on a team and have roles such as tank and whatnot.

Yeah, that's not immediately apparent. For the record there are 4 roles:

• Offense - standard "shoot the thing till it dies" damage dealers.
• Defense - damage dealing characters who have more control abilities. (Placing traps, building walls, building turrets, seeing through walls, etc.)
• Tank - Designed to soak damage and protect allies. Most are able to help shield their allies with DR shields & most have self-healing capabilities. Have a large amount of health.
• Support - Healers, buffers, and damage reducers. Range from Symmetra, who's almost a defense character (places turrets and helps teleport her friends around, and uses shields), to straight up buffers/healers like Lucio & Mercy. I didn't play TF2 but Mitch says Mercy plays almost exactly like the Medic.

Heroes are grouped by role in the character select screen.

I get the sense that all of this will be easy/familiar to people who already play a lot of these kinds of games and I'm just a noob with no clue.
I kind of feel the same. I've never FPS'd before and I feel like I can't practice the roles I want to play outside of inflicting my noobness on a team relying on me.