Author Topic: SprotsTalk with your hosts, Kharv and Apert  (Read 3400 times)

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
Re: SprotsTalk with your hosts, Kharv and Apert
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2015, 11:11:47 AM »
People say there's reasons to be up on the Cubs, but really...one can only hear that so many times.

It's been over twenty years since I lived in the South Side, but I swear I heard this same sentence spoken to me then and there.  How hope springs eternal, I don't know.  I blame the young innocent youths.  Get cynical faster!
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Rinkitink, Belf Hunter
Misc:  Kikiaru, L51 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior /  Sootandash, L100  Tauren Druid

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 11:18:51 AM »
The Jays lead the AL in run differential by a country mile, and by that differential project to have a record of 60-42 (which would put them 2nd in the AL, 1.5GB of KC). Their actual record is 51-51, and like.. 3GB of the 2nd wild card.

So. Y'know. Typical for a Toronto team.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2015, 03:02:37 PM »
http://deadspin.com/22-years-ago-today-nolan-ryan-beat-the-shit-out-of-rob-1722019834

Aaahhhh.  Classics.  My family are all huge Sox fans and I remember I was home when that happened and thinking "What the fuck?"  You could tell even as he charged the mound he was instantly like "Fuck this is a really stupid idea, but goddamnit I gotta commit"

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2015, 09:38:34 AM »
Training camp has barely started, but the Jets are operating at Peak J-E-T-S.

https://twitter.com/benshpigel/status/631154203214368768

Holy Moly: Geno smith got sucker punched in locker room this morning. Broken jaw. Out 6-10 weeks at least.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2015, 07:55:02 PM »

Kharvek

« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2015, 09:54:13 PM »

Kharvek

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2015, 09:32:11 AM »
Oh man, basketball is starting soon and I'm pretty pumped.

What the hell will Chicago look like with their new coach?

Will Kyle Lowry and DeRozan keep Toronto afloat?

How will Paul George look after his leg injury?

Just how hilariously bad will the Lakers be this year?

Is Lebron finally becoming a bit more mortal and will he see less playing time?

Will Kevin Durant be back in form this year after all the injuries?

Will Utah keep creeping up and be more under the radar good this year?

I think ultimately this will be the year Cleveland does it.  Even if Lebron is getting a bit older, I think they worked the kinks out and they'll have more healthy players this go around.  They caught a whiff of a title without their next two best players after Lebron.  If Kyrie and Kevin stay healthy?  Things get scary. 

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2015, 09:59:04 AM »
This could just be because I just finished reading a Zach Lowe column, but... I dunno about the Cavs this year - over and above the general metaphysical stench that permeates all sports teams from Cleveland. There are a hell of a lot of miles on LeBron's odometer, and given concerns about Kyrie and Love's health, I think they wind up playing the entire season in some sort of intermediate gear, and make the playoffs as a mid-seed.

Yes. Its the East, so maybe there's not a lot of difference between the #1 and the (say) #4-5 in terms of quality of competition, but still. Just means that its going to be that much harder a row to hoe in the playoffs.

No clue about the Drakes. I would believe everything between "they learn how to play defence, destroy the East" and "Casey out by January". Way too much variability.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2015, 10:24:33 AM »
the general metaphysical stench that permeates all sports teams from Cleveland.

I'm just posting here to quote this phrase. Continue plz.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #24 on: October 23, 2015, 10:25:39 AM »
Sprotsball webcomic:  https://xkcd.com/1593/

Kharvek

« Reply #25 on: October 23, 2015, 12:12:18 PM »
I think I probably read the same column as you Apert that inspire my post.  I get all the Cavs concerns but I don't think it's time to stick a fork in Lebron just yet. 

I think he still has a few years as one of the best players in the league and on any given night he can be THE best player.  I think the title of best pure player will likely be handed off soon to Anthony Davis.  Health is definitely a huge issue.  If they stay healthy?  I think they can do it since they've now had a year to get used to each other.  Golden State beat them fairly handily, but they were down some major pieces.  It'll be interesting to see how each team grows.

Granted there is the whole curse of Ohio looming over them.  I mean.  At least they're not Indiana.  That place sucks.  (Sorry Pira)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2015, 12:36:00 PM »
"If they stay healthy" is a qualifier right up there with "If Schwarber can play LF better than a potted plant" or "If Johnny Football can stay sober and focussed on like.. y'know.. football".

Imma gonna take the under on GP for Kyrie/Love this season, and while ABC is probably praying for another return of LeBron to the finals, I'll take the field on that one. But thats why they play the games, and its sure to be fascinating.

Kharvek

« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2015, 02:36:07 PM »
Yeah.

If Cleveland played in the West?  I'd say no way they make the finals, but the east is still soft as fuck.  There's a big glut of 'pretty good' teams that might have an Atlanta like year and just pull it together in weird ways for long stretches.  Between Chicago, Miami, Toronto, Indiana and Atlanta there's a big mess of teams that might shit the bed, or overperform.  I think Cleveland, even with all their injury concerns, has the least questions marks of all those other teams.  I think they do enough in the regular season and have a far easier path to the finals than whoever comes out of the west.  If they played in the West?  They'd need to play too hard and would all get hurt.

There's just no other guaranteed powerhouse in the East like you have in the West where you have so many teams with the potential to dominate.  Still.  I think Cleveland does it.  LeBron is on his way out and I think he's gonna have a second wind as he starts seeing the window close before the West goes on a run of 8 consecutive championships or something.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #28 on: October 27, 2015, 07:42:06 AM »
Lowe has his team capsule season preview up: http://grantland.com/the-triangle/our-annual-tiers-of-the-nba/?ex_cid=story-twitter

I don't want to spoil things too much, but here's a summary of the Nets:

Kharvek

« Reply #29 on: October 27, 2015, 11:31:37 PM »
Yeah, Brooklyn is a complete tire fire right now.  Nothing to build around and no draft picks until forever.  They dumped all this money into the team years ago and made all these bold claims and.....proceeded to shit the bed. 

Didn't get a chance to watch the game but Chicago winning against Cleveland is a potentially promising start.  ...and Golden State sure doesn't look like they have a championship hangover.