Author Topic: Pillars of Eternity  (Read 2664 times)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Pillars of Eternity
« on: March 27, 2015, 12:16:30 PM »
(short form is "Pillars" to avoid confusion with Path of Exile)

Pillars of Eternity is a "classic-style" real-time CRPG by Obsidian Entertainment (Fallout: New Vegas, Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2, Alpha Protocol). You may have already helped fund it on Kickstarter back in October 2012 when it was Project Eternity, so I urge you to check that out before buying it on Steam!

This game continues the tradition of Black Isle Studio's late-90's/early-00's games using the Dungeons and Dragons license, like:

- Baldur's Gate 1&2
- Icewind Dale 1&2
- Planescape: Torment

If you played any of those Infinity Engine games, you will feel right at home. It features a 3/4 isometric, fixed-camera view; hand-crafted backgrounds; a robust character creation system with the ability to make a completely custom party or pick up companions; and pausable real-time combat.

There are no CGI cutscenes that would be out of place in 2002. There is no tutorial where someone holds your hand-you have to read things. The character sheet does have clickable terms that link to tooltips, and there is an encyclopedia, but there's no one shouting at you to RIGHT CLICK NOW TO ATTACK (NSFW yelling).

The system and game world are all original, though my father probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between it and D&D. The world is relatively Sword Coast-ish, there are 6 main stats, there's longswords and Dex makes you harder to hit. There's a spell called "Minoletta's Minor Missiles," and I'll bet you can guess what it does. None of this is a bad thing, in my estimation-it allowed me to dive right in. I haven't gotten too far, but at least one review stated that it took about 60 hours to complete the game.

Here are a few good introductory videos:

A couple of things from my first 2ish hours with the game:

- All the stats improve all the classes. A high-Might Wizard's spells do more damage, a high-Int Barbarian gets more range and duration to their shouts, etc. There isn't really a dump stat.
- Normal is difficult. If you haven't played the earlier Infinity Engine games or are looking for a bit more of a breezy experience, don't hesitate to switch to Easy.
- There will be a Bear. It will kill you.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
Re: Pillars of Eternity
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »
I pre-loaded this last night and it's waiting for me after garrison chores tonight.

That bear sounds like serious business. Can I spray for bears, to keep them away? Is there a bear-slaying knife that's +9 against bears?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2015, 12:59:57 PM »
That bear sounds like serious business. Can I spray for bears, to keep them away? Is there a bear-slaying knife that's +9 against bears?

You can just not approach the bear, which is very realistic when you think about it.
o/\o

Ungrimmar

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2015, 01:53:04 PM »

You can just not approach the bear, which is very realistic when you think about it.

Can confirm.  Bear murdered me hard.

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
http://slickdeals.net/f/7754695-pillars-of-eternity-pc-digital-download-33-75-or-less

Green Man Gaming.com has Pillars of Eternity (PC Digital Download) on sale for $33.74 when you visit their VIP page and be logged into your Green Man Gaming account.

Note, game requires a free Steam account to play. You will need to sign up for a free Green Man Gaming account to visit the VIP page.

Available Selection
Pillars of Eternity (PC Digital Download) $33.74
Pillars of Eternity: Champion Edition (PC Digital Download) $44.99
Pillars of Eternity: Royal Edition (PC Digital Download) $67.49

Alternatively, GamesDeal.com also has Pillars of Eternity (PC Digital Download) for slightly less at $28.61 when you apply coupon code GDPOE (at checkout).
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2015, 07:25:44 PM »

Can confirm.  Bear murdered me hard.

Are residents of the Dyrwood subject to arms control treaties and/or the Geneva Convention?

I'm going to need extralegal munitions to cope with this bear.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Varyl

• Jedi Archivist
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Varyl's Home
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2015, 08:49:29 PM »
Are we talking about the bear in the cave, fairly early on? Because I literally had no trouble killing that thing with just me and one companion.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 04:58:49 AM »
Obviously you have some kind of purpose-built bear-killing spec.

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 06:29:08 AM »
I have to try to kill the bear again with companion(s). I couldn't solo him with my lvl 2 cipher. Chanter is an awesome class concept -- I hope to come across a chanter NPC soon!
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2015, 06:36:25 AM »
Are we talking about the bear in the cave, fairly early on? Because I literally had no trouble killing that thing with just me and one companion.

The bear 1-2 shot my druid in bear form and 2-3 shot my fighter companion.  Like 3 tries in a row.  It was a remarkably brief fight. 

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2015, 07:05:59 AM »

/internet brag

The Bear isn't difficult with companions. The first time I faced it was without companions.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2015, 07:59:30 AM »
My PC is a Human Monk, and I've played for 12 hours. Here are some observations:

- Monks use Wounds as a special resource to power their abilities. There are two choices at the start of the game for these: an attack speed buff and a blast attack. Wounds are filled by taking damage.
- I don't have the player's guide or the game cyclopedia in front of me, but the wiki and beta state that, like Monks in WoW, Wounds convert damage to a DoT. Spending Wounds to fuel abilities clears this DoT. Combats are so fast in Pillars that I haven't seen the DoTs, or I spend my Wounds so quickly I never get the bleeds. I'm going to keep an eye on the combat log for this.
- When dual wielding, I can use just two fists, or two weapons, or a fist and a weapon. I've noticed that a MH fist and an OH weapon gives me higher Accuracy with each than two weapons or two fists. I wonder if the game is applying the one weapon accuracy bonus to both my fist and weapon.
- My build is less than ideal, experimental even, but I think wearing armor* erases most of the benefit of a fast attack speed. I have the Leather I started with as a Pirate, but a 20% attack speed bonus from a talent plus a 24% bonus from an 18 Dex. Sure, my attacks happen lightning-quick, but I still have to wait 1.3s between them! Maybe I should enchant some clothing or a robe with enhanced DR.

*In case you haven't watched the mechanics videos in the OP: all classes can wear any armor, but each type of armor comes with a Recovery Speed equal to 5x its Damage Reduction (e.g. Hide has 5 DR and -25% Recovery Speed). Recovery Speed increases your global cooldown, determined by your weapon speed. So wearing Brigandine (DR 10) will reduce your damage intake greatly, but your abilities will incur a longer CD (1s CD with an Average speed weapon will grow to 1.5s)
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2015, 01:20:44 PM »
I built a fighter-tank, with lots of armor and defenses and then put him in doorways so I don't have to fight more than a couple at a time. Currently on 7th level Od Nua. I'm sure I could optimize it further but I'm doing okay and having fun.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »
I usually make that type of character, but luckily one of the first companions you get in Gilded Vale is that character.
o/\o

Varyl

• Jedi Archivist
  • Cupcakes Member
    • Varyl's Home
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2015, 04:54:24 PM »
I went with a Godlike (Fire) Paladin of the Kind Watchers. Currently chasing cultists through some ruins out past Dyrwood. I have a feeling I have missed some companions, since I never found another tank until the birdkin Godlike I met recently in Defiance Bay, and she's more of a damage dealer anyway. I also crafted a rogue early on as an adventurer to join me for trap and lockpicking skills, and am glad, as I never met another of those either.