Author Topic: Game Time for Gold  (Read 4993 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Game Time for Gold
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2015, 09:24:16 AM »
WoW tokens go live tomorrow with a starting price of 30,000 gold:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18390557/wow-token-coming-april-7-4-6-2015

wowhead has a guide on the mechanics of buying and selling them, although I don't think it's really much harder than "go to the in-game store" (to buy with cash) and/or "go to the auction house" (to buy with gold or sell for gold).

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/wow-token
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 09:28:00 AM by Marco »

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2015, 09:59:24 AM »
Only 30,000 gold that is cheaper than I was thinking they would be.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Gori

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2015, 10:59:38 AM »
I thought it would be $15 for the token.  :-[

Don't get me wrong, I'm still going to buy one while the price of gold is at 30k, but I wanted more bang for my buck.

now to find living steel transmutes alliance side...

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2015, 11:47:13 AM »
I'm on the fence about whether to buy one of these tokens. At 30kG (that's "kilo-gold") for $20, it's right on the edge of a reasonable return for me. It will get me 1-2 hard-to-get pets that I don't have.

On the other hand, I don't know what the market will be for the tokens. Will a player who's sitting on a pile of gold feel like spending 30kG for a token worth $13? And when will the market be saturated? I'd hate to spend $20 only to have the token sit unpurchased, then watch as the price falls to 2kG before someone buys it; that would definitely be a stinky deal for me.

Would any of the people on this forum who are sitting on a lot of kG (Marco? Ghoselle?) comment on how they see the market?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2015, 12:14:04 PM »
Tokens should sell pretty quickly, and you always get the price as of when you put the token up.  Blizzard wants the system to be as predictable as possible for people spending cash on it, even if that means the system generates or consumes small amounts of gold as the price changes.

I cannot predict whether the price will go up or down.  This is a lot safer than third-party gold services, but that applies to both buying and "selling" gold, so it could push the market either way.  30K is roughly comparable with gold-buying services as far as I know.  Elvine predicted a price closer to 50K gold, but I think he was assuming that safety of "selling" gold would be more important than safety of buying it.

(I'm putting "selling" in quotes because you can't extract cash from this system, only game time; your effective cash flow maxes out at the monthly subscription cost.)

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2015, 01:49:57 PM »
So, can someone explain to be like I'm 5 how this will work? I buy a token for $20, then I can sell the token in-game for "X" amount of gold, where "X" will start at 30k gold but will fluctuate depending on what the market will bear? edit: Nevermind, just watched the handy video on the Battle.net application.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2015, 01:51:32 PM by Tweed »

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2015, 01:52:23 PM »
If it makes you feel any better, you got it in one!
o/\o

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2015, 03:21:59 PM »
A question for people who are thinking of using this to buy gold, how low would the price have to be before your not getting enough gold for the token?
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »
As I said above, 30kG is about my lower limit. If it got below 25kG I'd forget about it; I can make roughly 20kG per week just by grinding garrisons with my 3 level 100 alts.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2015, 04:47:26 PM »
I'd say about 20-25k would be my lower limit. I'd want to be able to, say, drop a $100 and be able to buy essentially anything I want off the BMAH (which you can usually do for about 100k, except in rarer circumstances).

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2015, 01:20:11 AM »
A question for people who are thinking of using this to buy gold, how low would the price have to be before your not getting enough gold for the token?

Reportedly, the current exchange rate on shady third-party sites is $1=1k gold, so $20 for 30k + it being legit through Blizz is actually a pretty hot deal, and it could drop to ~20k and be competitive with third party gold sellers
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2015, 05:34:59 AM »
I think the most interesting question is what the gold sellers will do.  They have to be sitting on the largest piles of in-game cash of anyone.  I wonder if they ever pay for game time or just use free accounts?  They certainly buy things off ebay and the blizzard store to sell in game but if they can no longer (easily) convert their in-game gold to out-of-game currency what do they do with all that gold?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2015, 05:56:49 AM »
I've been thinking a bit about how this will impact gold sellers.

Gold sellers get some fraction of their gold from hacked accounts and bots, and the rest from players selling them gold for cash at a markdown.  I really don't know what the ratio is.  The second part of that supply is going to mostly dry up; people will only sell gold to a third-party seller if they are quitting the game, or have so much excess gold (as well as a high risk tolerance) that they will accept a markdown in exchange for the ability to get cash rather than game time.

The token also sets a price ceiling.  Since Blizzard's product is safer, more accessible, and more ethical than a third-party gold seller's product, they will have to significantly undercut the WoW token rate in order to attract buyers.  On the flip side, if they can undercut the token price by, say, 50%, then they can advertise that they're selling a month of game time for $10.  (I guess this is part of the reason that the token costs $20 and not $16 or $15.)

So it really depends on supply.  If gold sellers can rake in a nigh-unlimited amount of gold through hacks, all this does is push down the price they can command, and maybe give them a new market.  If gold is in more limited supply, this could put them out of business.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 07:48:26 AM by Marco »

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2015, 07:21:05 AM »
Does this means you can buy the beautiful alliance chopper for a little over $60?!?! What a deal!  ;)
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2015, 12:25:19 PM »
Initial indications are that the 30K price point was a bit low, in that more people want to buy tokens with gold than sell them for gold at that price point.  The price has been slowly ticking up at 1% increments and is currently at 30,909.  Until the equilibrium is reached, it's a little tricky to buy tokens; more often than not they appear as out of stock.  I've been able to buy about five or so at the current price without too much trying, though.

I've also seen some evidence of reliability issues on the system; sometimes even the store interface can't retrieve the current gold price for tokens.  These may be load-related, in which case they should settle out in a day or so.

ETA: tokens can be bought with battle.net balances or credit cards.  Apparently tokens bought with credit cards carry a delay, so right now we might be seeing artficially low token supply while those tokens are cleared.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2015, 12:34:07 PM by Marco »