Author Topic: Game Time for Gold  (Read 4231 times)

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
Game Time for Gold
« on: March 02, 2015, 11:22:55 AM »
http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/4749-Introducing-the-WoW-Token

It's official.  Looks like you'll be able to buy game time with gold.  Pricing models aren't set and it looks like you'll be able to buy game time in game through that store outside of the subscription model.  You can buy it for real money there and put it up for gold, or you can buy them with gold.

This sort of opens the door to buying gold indirectly since you can buy game time tokens and sell them.  Pricing will be automatically generated so you can't put them up for a specific price.  I think buying gold in D3 was done in a similar manner.  So if you go to sell a token, you're quoted a price.  If you buy a token, you'll be quoted a price.  They seemed light on specifics there.

I'm wondering what kind of effect this will have on the economy as a whole as I imagine a lot of people sitting on HUGE cash piles will want to buy game time, and people who aren't as rich who will suddenly want to earn money to avoid paying real money for it.  I don't have much of a mind for this kind of thing, but in my general "I don't find earning money in WoW" fun, I just hope that raid stuff stays cheap.  I don't anticipate having the capital to buy game time with gold, nor do I see this as an inspiration to start doing it.  I'm pretty content with how much I pay for the game and I'm perfectly happy with what I get out of that for my 12 bucks a month.  I'm not going to want to sink more time into it to get out of paying that.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
Re: Game Time for Gold
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2015, 11:33:50 AM »
I knew they were gonna do this as soon as I bought a Yak.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2015, 11:49:06 AM »
Curious that Blizz sets the price. I suppose that's good for people making the real $$ purchase, but may end up more expensive than I'm willing to buy for gold.

Idk, we'll see how it plays out.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2015, 12:08:54 PM »
I don't think Blizzard is setting the gold price.  Although the AH rules are a little different than normal auctions, I think it's still designed not to add or subtract any gold from the economy.  (Although as Kharvek and Gwyddyon have noted, it may drain gold from large stockpile and cause it to circulate, inflating the price of items.)

I've been finding myself playing in a more economy-oriented way ever since Blizzard floated this idea--which isn't very rational since $15 per month doesn't make much difference in my life.  I will be happier once I see gold prices.  There is a point below which I won't have to worry about making that much gold per month, and a point above which I won't want to try.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2015, 12:23:24 PM »
I'm sure some speculative math can be done. They won't want to give away 30 days of game time for much less than the $15 they are charging now. And they said the prices will be competitive with illicit gold-sellers. So how much gold will $15 get you nowadays?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2015, 12:40:56 PM »
Yeah. I'm pretty firmly in the camp of 12-15 bucks a month isn't that much money given the value I get from playing the game.  I'm sure there's some really math/economy heavy breakdown of how much gold an hour you can make and how that translates into how much time it takes to buy a token with gold and turn that into how much real world money that equates to.  IE: What your dollars per hour is working in WoW to pay for the tokens with gold.  If it takes 15 hours of gold farming to get 30 days of playtime, that's basically like getting paid a dollar an hour, but if it only takes an hour, that's more like 15 bucks for an hour's work.

I think there's an interesting sociological experiment here based on how people value money versus time.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2015, 12:52:46 PM »
Oh, goody.  Now I have something to do with the half-million or so gold I've already paid real money to accumulate - get more time to accumulate more... OK, this is sounding really broken.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2015, 12:59:58 PM »
I don't think Blizzard is setting the gold price.  Although the AH rules are a little different than normal auctions, I think it's still designed not to add or subtract any gold from the economy.  (Although as Kharvek and Gwyddyon have noted, it may drain gold from large stockpile and cause it to circulate, inflating the price of items.)

The game setting the price (by which I mean you cannot as a seller choose the price to list at, only not to list if the gold isn't enough for your dollar) is probably to keep the cost of game time roughly competitive with other gold sellers. (That is, if the purpose is to get rid of shady gold sellers, Blizz has to offer a dollars-to-gold conversion rate that's roughly similar or people will just keep going to shady gold sellers.)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2015, 02:14:12 PM »
It's true that neither buyers nor sellers get to name a price in this system.  But the system needs to equalize the number of buyers and sellers (assuming the system isn't printing or burning gold), or else you'll have a lot of people who can't buy or can't sell.  The price at which the buyers and sellers equalize is the market price, and I assume that's what Blizzard means by "the gold value of a Token will be determined dynamically based on supply and demand."

Diablo 3's RMAH did have a minimum price for gold.  I think initially it was $10 for 100K gold for $10, and that was bumped down to $10 for 1M and $10 for 10M gold later on.  You could feel that $10 for 100K gold wasn't a true market price because gold took a substantial amount of time to sell.  Surprisingly, gold did tend to sell at that price after a day or so, at least when I tried it; I'm not really sure why the number of unsuccessful sellers didn't just rise without limit.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
More info here: http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/02/world-of-warcrafts-new-real-money-for-gold-effort-brings-more-free-to-play-to-blizzards-cash-cow/

* This will be happening in patch 6.1.2 which will go onto the PTR shortly.
* Lapsed accounts can use gold to reactivate if they contain enough gold to buy a token at the current price.
* The system may create or destroy gold during periods of market movement (because the seller and the buyer won't necessarily get the same price), but it should even out.
* Blizzard will need to choose a starting price for each region, and third-party gold prices will inform that decision.
* Ion acknowledged the possibility of a commodities auction house for other items (which I would dearly love; I hate the effort inherent in selling stuff) based on the new tech for game time tokens, but his wording doesn't make me hopeful.

Gori

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 03:12:38 PM »
This interests me because I can spare $15 for a token and get 60k+ then I'd consider it worthwhile.

I need transmog yak and other BMAH mounts to hit 250 okay  :P

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 04:19:13 PM »
This interests me too, mainly so I can buy high-price pets on the AH (and maybe the BMAH). On the other hand, as has been noted, if gold floods the systems the prices for those items will go up and I'll wind up where I am right now.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
This interests me too, mainly so I can buy high-price pets on the AH (and maybe the BMAH). On the other hand, as has been noted, if gold floods the systems the prices for those items will go up and I'll wind up where I am right now.

The system may occasionally create gold, but should mostly be about redistributing wealth. For the most part gold will not be created. That said, some prices may go up slightly, particularly early on, just because we will probably end up with more gold in circulation rather than, say, sitting in Scrooge McDuck's vault. But it shouldn't cause some sort of hyperinflation problem. The market might just be on the volatile side at first when this goes live.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2015, 05:38:54 PM »
Patch 6.1.2 will be released tomorrow, but the WoW token won't be available immediately.  Each region will have a different release date.  Our region will be first, but there's no announced date yet.

The cash price for a token will be $20.  They did not announce a starting gold price, but did more explicitly describe how the price will change dynamically:
Simply put, if more WoW Tokens are being listed than are being purchased, the price will automatically drift downward over time. If people are purchasing Tokens from the Auction House faster than they’re being put up for sale, then prices will go up accordingly. As a reminder, to help make sure players can trade WoW Tokens confidently, once a Token sells, the seller will receive the amount of gold they were quoted at the time they listed their Token.
This matches my understanding that the price ought to resemble what buyers and sellers would arrive at if they had the ability to place buy and sell orders.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/blog/18390557

Gori

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2015, 06:37:31 PM »
I still want to see what they value the gold as other than the whole supply and demand thing. I got panther mounts and an engineering mount still to buy stupid orbs for =(