Author Topic: [Monk] Windwalkers  (Read 798 times)

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
[Monk] Windwalkers
« on: February 20, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
I've got the Windwalker woes, so I'm starting this topic to see if anyone shares them.

When playing a Mistweaver or a Brewmaster monk, I don't have a problem with health; both these specs have options for healing, damage mitigation, or both. But with my Windwalker, I see health leaking like a sieve; it's not unusual for me to see my health bar go to 35% by the end of a fight. The Windwalker DPS is much higher than the other two monk specs, and the mobs tend to melt away. But first they suck up my health, which means between fights I have to chew on food, which slows down PvE content. I haven't tried to tackle level 100 Elites yet, which I had no problem with as MW or BM, because I'm afraid my health wouldn't last.

I figure one of two things is going on:

1) Despite following the advice on Icy Veins, I'm missing something.

2) "Welcome to melee DPS."

Any thoughts from the other Windwalkers out there?
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
Re: [Monk] Windwalkers
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 09:28:48 AM »
So I'm mostly BM.  But I actually found melee monk to feel a lot more sturdy than a lot of the other melee dps classes.

But there are couple abilities that might make life easier:
Use Fists-of-Fury on cooldown -- its not just great dps but it also stuns most opponents meaning they aren't doing dps to you.
Use Expel Harm instead of Jab whenever you can if you need healing.
Touch of Karma gives you 10 seconds where any damage you take is redirected to your opponent, on a 90 second cooldown. 
Touch of Death.  Also on 90 second cooldown, but it can dramatically shorten some fights reducing damage taken.

So if you do touch of karma you, followed by firsts of fury when it ends, you end up with taking no damage for the first 14 seconds of combat.  And if the next combat you have enough banked chi to use a touch of death as soon as the mobs health is less than yours, that's 2 low damage fights every 90 seconds.

If you find you are hitting 35% health, consider "Zen Sphere" as your tier 2 talent.  Its not the best raid DPS talent, but its something you can cast while moving towards a mob that you can put up before you are in combat; and if you hit 35% health it gives you a burst of healing.  Similarly, picking up "healing elixirs" and "chi torpedo" can provide additional self healing.  "Chi Torpedo" is particularly interesting because if you are getting close to dying, torpedo'ing away twice gives you a chunk of healing, and means the mobs have to run up to you which gives you time for other cooldowns to come up and self healing things (like zen sphere) to tick and maybe for you to hit a self heal ability.  Its not a faster kill, but its faster than running back.

And often, instead of eating, you can just cast a few "Surging Mists".  Its still a pause, but sometimes its enough.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 11:59:50 AM »
Ghos is right, Surging Mists will probably fill you up faster than eating. It takes Energy, which refills quickly. Whenever you have health missing, use Expel Harm instead of Jab.

I use Chi Wave rather than Zen Sphere, but ZS has more healing to it.

Healing Elixirs gives big heal now, as compared to back in Mists. You also have Fortifying Brew if you get in a pinch.

Melee DPS in general just try to kill the enemy before it kills them.
o/\o

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 11:18:15 PM »
Thanks for the advice. Your tips are good:

- I originally did not pick Zen Sphere because Icy Veins advised against it. I have to remember that IV's advice is oriented toward raid performance. Zen Sphere is pretty useless while raiding, but for soloing I find it ideal.

- I also switched to Healing Elixirs. I use it on my Mistweaver, but again I had followed Icy Vein's Windwalker advice and picked Diffuse Magic. Again, as you folks pointed out, for soloing Healing Elixirs is a better choice.

- I've added Fists of Fury and Touch of Karma to my rotation. This makes a big difference.

- The biggest difference is getting my head of MoP damage rotation. For Windwalkers, I have to remember to use Tiger Palm only when I want to renew the buff. The rest of time, keep Rising Sun Kick buff active and use Blackout Kick as filler between Jabs.

I can now solo the Nagrand Elite clefthooves for the barn trap without any problems. I haven't tackled the Direwolf Alphas yet; I think those will still be a challenge.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2015, 03:16:41 AM »
I've started trying to learn to DPS on my previously tank-only monk and have two questions I can't find good answers online for:

- When do you use Storm, Earth, and Fire?  I'm assuming it's intended for single-target fights but maybe I misunderstand?

- How the heck do you make Flying Serpent Kick work properly?  I always sail through the target and if I somehow manage to double-click before I land it seems to launch me even farther rather than what the tooltip says it should do (land and damage).

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2015, 04:32:59 AM »
My own research into Storm, Earth, and Fire says that it should only be used when DPSing three or more targets, otherwise the -30% reduction to your DPS doesn't make the skill worthwhile.
Bill Seligman

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 06:28:50 AM »
- When do you use Storm, Earth, and Fire?  I'm assuming it's intended for single-target fights but maybe I misunderstand?

Its for multi-target fights.  On 3 target fights its incredible.  The one thing to realize is that you REALLY don't want to be targetting the same target that your "spirit" is targetting since if you do, its a dps loss (ie, it only counts one of your damage for any single target move, and you are still taking the damage penalty).  _however_ that doesn't mean you can't do AoE effects - and on big aoe mob fights, getting 2 spirits out and doing your AOE moves can result in quite good AoE dps.

To use it, pick one target, assign a "spirit".  Pick another target, assign a "spirit".  And the pick a 3rd target for you to attack -- every attack you do will be echo'd by your spirits.

With 1 spirit + you, you are at +140% damage.  With 2 spirits + you, you are at +165% damage.

But it means a middle geared monk can sometimes be near the top of the dps chart on those boss fights that are 3 mobs, assuming you are good about making sure to keep the spirits up the entire time.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 03:26:18 AM »
Thanks guys that makes some more sense.  I guess on Thogar or other fights with adds it can be used.  Can't think of a 3-target boss at the moment.

Any idea how to make FSK work?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 08:13:07 AM »
SEF is also useful for sustained many-target AOE, since your images will whirl with you.  icy-veins has the rotation breakdown, although it seems to assume that multiple targets are always grouped.

FSK is click once to start, again to stop.  Not sure what difficulty you're having with it.

Honorata

• Your Own Personal Eeyore
  • Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 08:28:33 AM »
If you're having trouble landing FSK, there's always the minor glyph which will make it autoland when you run into an enemy.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 09:32:18 AM »
I'd encourage you to remember "Touch of Karma" as well.  Used well it is both a great survival cooldown and a way to get a little extra dps.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2017, 06:14:17 AM »
It's been a couple of years, but I've got the Windwalker woes again.

I've got ilvl 865 gear, 36 traits in my artifact. I'm trying to get through the second encounter in the Brawlers Guild, Grampa Grumplefoot. I keep getting overwhelmed by the yellow teddy bears, which one-shot you if they reach you. Looking at YouTube videos of the encounter, my problem appears to be DPS: In the videos, GG is downed within 20-30 seconds. I'm usually still fighting up to 90 seconds before being exploded, so the teddy bears have a chance to build up. I'm just not doing 2M damage to GG fast enough, though I interrupt his healing.

My question is: Any tips, beyond those in Icy Veins, for improving Windwalker DPS?
Bill Seligman

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2017, 07:27:02 AM »

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2017, 11:23:43 AM »
Anyone with a Monk main has probably already discovered this, but for those with Monk alts: If you want to do the Empowered Artifact quests, do them all as Windwalker. Even the Mistweaver quest doesn't require any healing beyond Effuse. I have ilvl 865 gear and didn't have any problems.

Actually, I did the Brewmaster quests as Brewmaster, and it was tedious and tricky, since the NPC doesn't heal you. I got through it, but I should have DPSed rather than tanked the encounters.
Bill Seligman