Author Topic: Ashran  (Read 2616 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Ashran
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2015, 03:37:31 PM »
I haven't watched the thing, but my Emerald Dream guildies reported back that Holinka really really hates large groups coming in in a raid and dominating Ashran.

I'm not sure if this will kill the ability to join existing pre-made raids, but it is definitely intended to stop things like my ED zerg guild having Ashran nights where we just zone in to an Alliance-dominated Ashran and immediately turn the tide pro-Horde and roflstomp it for an hour while someone target-calls on teamspeak.

I'll also say that large PvP guilds are already planning ways to get around this by zoning in as a party, then splitting up and zoning people in via parties. (We already do this if we want more than 40 in a single Ashran.)

(That said, I agree with Holinka. I think you should be able to reasonably expect to zone into an Ashran with a buddy or two and get into a non-losing/equal-ish Ashran about half the time; I do not like the reliance on premade groups right now. 1. It leads to long queues to get into a winning group still, and 2. It punishes newer players who may not know about or be comfortable using the premade finder.

I also love the idea of a kill-quest for conquest. Encourages PvP in Ashran and you don't have to be in an event group to get it.)

edit I'm also really curious if Stormshield/Warspear count as "Ashran" for purposes of this quest. (They do for the purpose of the special class books you can get in Ashran/Ashran specific items. (i.e. I can still cast Jailer's Judgment in Warspear or Stormshield, not just Ashran proper.) Stormshield/Warspear raids are pretty common on ED and it'd be hilarious to get conquest for them.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 04:17:13 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2015, 08:24:10 PM »
More details from Holinka on how joining Ashran will work in 6.2

https://twitter.com/holinka/status/589279798016409600

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2015, 06:55:05 AM »
Aha, so they're preventing people from using parties as conveyer belts into an Ashran instance by forcing everyone into a raid group.

Corollary: no more than 40v40 in Ashran.  Might help with lag.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2015, 07:24:55 AM »
This does have the unfortunate side effect of potentially making nemesis quests harder (no nemesis groups, probably can't move people around to different groups within the raid), but is a necessary change.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2015, 06:58:02 AM »
Skimming the latest patch notes it appears Ashran rewards are getting nerfed:
Winning an event now awards Honor instead of Conquest.
Defeating Grand Marshal Tremblade or High Warlord Volrath no longer awards a Gleaming Ashmaul Strongbox.
I've never done Ashran so I can't comment on what the impact of these changes will be.  Marco?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2015, 07:19:12 AM »
Yes, that would be the "existing conquest and gleaming strongbox rewards will be eliminated" bullet point from my summary.  Those rewards are replaced by the weekly and repeatable quests I mentioned.

I think the overall impact of the changes will be pretty dramatic.  Right now, you have a couple of options:

* Zone in solo, expect to be facing a premade on the other side, and don't expect to win any conquest.  You can farm the daily side area quests for artifacts/honor and no one will bother you (because no one can see you).
* Zone in in an event premade (via the group finder) where there aren't a lot of opposing-faction players.  Wait half an hour in a queue.  Once you get in, gain 100 conquest every 15 minutes for running to the current event, plus a bit more here and there, and probably a gleaming strongbox at some point.  If an opposing premade forms, experience very laggy combat and mixed results; this doesn't happen often.
* Zone in in a nemesis premade.  I haven't done this very often.

With the changes, there are no premades and there's no hiding from the group raid.  Zoning in individually will be more likely to produce a competitive experience.  Players will generally fight for the current event or for the road battle, and will harass people farming the daily side area quests.  Battles might be a bit laggy, but the cap of 40v40 should hopefully mitigate that.  Getting 200 conquest for the bonus cap should happen pretty quickly.  Capping out conquest completely is likely to be slower because you have no way to guarantee victory using a premade, and you need to win six objectives to get any reward.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:14 AM »
An interesting factor here is that

1. Ashran will probably continue to be a pretty fast source of honor gear even with these changes. (You get a LOT of boxes from Ashran and even if you're not winning every event, artifacts + some events + boxes adds up)

2. It looks like full conquest geared people in Warlords S1 will have to regrind honor gear in S2 since S1 CP gear scales to 690 in PvP and S2 Honor gear scales higher than that. (unless the ilevel S1 conquest gear scales up to in PvP combat is changed in 6.2)

So New Ashran will probably see a decent amount of use that first week as people regear, which will give a better impression of the effects these changes will have.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2015, 09:01:50 AM »
ASHRAN 6.2 CHANGES

Joining Ashran
There are no more Ashran premades. Join Ashran solo, and you will be put into a raid group in an existing Ashran.

If you want to join Ashran as a 5-man party, have the party leader join Ashran first and be placed in a party. Other members should then join Ashran and will be put in as slots open up -- joining Ashran in a party will greatly increase your queue times. You cannot join Ashran in a raid group.

If you get into a very bad Ashran where your team is losing a great deal, you can leave and wait a few minutes, then rejoin Ashran and you will usually be placed in a different Ashran. Keep in mind that if your team goes a long time without winning, you will eventually get a stacking buff that improves damage/healing to help you overcome the odds.

Gear Scaling
* All gear under 690 scales to 690 in PvP combat.
* Current Aspirant's Gear (625) scales to 700 in PvP combat.
* Current Honor Gear (670) scales to 715 in PvP combat.
* Current Conquest Gear (700) scales to 730 in PvP combat.
* Honor and Aspirant's gear can proc Warforged or sockets.

Ashran Rewards
Conquest
Upon joining Ashran, you will have two new quests in your log. These are weekly quests.
* The first is to get 200 HKs in Ashran. This awards 200 Conquest.
* The other is to win 4 events and kill Volrath/Tremblade. This awards 500 Conquest and a purple strongbox which will have a random piece of off-set gear or one of the Accolade trinkets in it. Once you complete this quest in a given week, you will be automatically given another quest to Continue the Domination -- It's the same quest, but only rewards the 500 Conquest, not the box. It is time consuming, but very possible, to cap conquest for the week solely in Ashran.
* Mage Portal/Warlock Gateway guardians and Elemental Summonable still give 25 conquest points on death, as does winning the Ogre King event.

Honor/Aspirant's/Artifact Fragments
* Events give 150 Honor per win, and only sometimes give a green quality strongbox (Aspirant's gear or gold).
* Tremblade/Volrath kills reward 50 honor and once per day reward a blue quality strongbox which can contain a piece of honor gear.
* Mage Portal/Warlock Gateway guardians, Elemental Summonable, Ogre King reward 75 honor.
* Artifact Fragments reward roughly 3 honor/fragment. Most rares only drop ~20-30 fragments now.

Ancient Artifact
* The Ancient Artifact no longer spawns if Ashran is under 20v20.
* The Ancient Artifact has a short cooldown between when it despawns from its current holder to when it respawns in the wild.
* Even with these changes, because Ashran is now capped at 40v40, the team that holds the artifact is Extremely powerful. The current meta in Ashran is mostly based around making sure your team has the artifact, protects the artifact holder, and has the artifact on the correct player (usually ranged DPS -- MM hunters are very strong with the artifact.)

New Event Apexis Excavation
* The new event added to Ashran in 6.2 takes place in the mines under Ashran. If this is your first time in Ashran since 6.2, there will be a quest at the mines to go explore it the first time you enter.
* The event works as such: When the event is active, ghost Arakkoa will spawn. Killing blows on the arrakoa gives the player a buff. Players with the buff then go to the vault within the mines as proof of killing the ghost arakkoa. The first team who has visited the NPC with proof of 30 arakkoa kills wins.
* Basic strategy is to go to mid within the mines and try to hold, since this is the only way into the vault, and the connecting point between the tunnels where the arakkoa spawn. Mid is in the air and connected to the tunnels by bridges, so knockbacks are very strong for keeping the opposing faction from reaching the vault.
* This event is probably the slowest, and the one usually sacrificed to make a strong road push for Trem/Vol kill.

Changes to other events
* Events were changed to require more of thing to be done, and to be more time consuming, allowing the other team to come back from behind.
- Molten Quarry requires 20 ore
- Ashmaul Burial Grounds requires 20 ghosts
- Stadium Racing at AoA requires 5 laps, and the racers cannot go over 300% speed.
- Fires at Brute's Rise have been moved, and accumulate points more slowly once capped. There are still only 5 fires.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2015, 09:20:34 AM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2016, 04:47:45 PM »
I've been doing Ashran a lot to gear up Wabe for normal-mode raiding.  I hit 7250 conquest today (enough to buy 710 weapons), so I will probably stop.

There is a lot less complaining in chat about how much people hate Ashran, presumably because no one is forced into it.  There is of course bickering when the team is losing, sometimes.

Sometimes, when an NPC named Valmaun is present near the honor/conquest vendors, you can queue into Ashran as horde.  I've done that a few times; it feels pretty much the same as being alliance.  I didn't get a strong sense that either faction wins more than the other, but it's very common to zone into a losing team; losing teams have more churn, while people stick around for longer in winning teams.  Winning teams do eventually fall apart (particularly if the leader leaves) and, correspondingly, losing teams do eventually turn around, but it can sometimes take quite a while.  Losing teams can sometimes sneak in an event victory while the winning team is killing Vol'jin/Tremblade.  There is no incentive to defend Vol'jin/Tremblade; in fact, you want the other team to kill them because it gives your team a buff or reduces their buff.

If you participate in an event and your team wins the event, you now get credit even if you were outside of the event area at the end.  This makes it much less important to play it safe and avoid dying during team fights.  Team fights aren't exceptionally laggy for me now that they are limited to 40v40.  The side with more healers often seems to win, although there are other factors like average gear level.  Having a single leader and no one arguing with them helps teams move as a group, which is important.

Judging from the forums, there are some ways to get a premade into Ashran and some public groups (Hydra and Avengers) which do so.  I only felt like I was facing a premade once, when my team got instantly rolled with the whole team present, buffed, and holding the ancient artifact.  Other than that, premades weren't a factor for me.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #24 on: January 22, 2016, 09:48:45 PM »
Generally, unless you're really tied to playing Alliance, I'd recommend queuing as a merc if the option is there. Win/loss ratio seems about the same H/A, and when the option is there and I've queued Alliance, my queue time is usually upwards of 40 minutes. I've never waited longer than 15 for a Horde queue for Ashran since the merc option's been there.

If you've queued Alliance and want to drop queue to queue as a merc, make sure you've been ported out of Ashran before you drop queue. If you drop before the queue ports you out, you'll get recreant (the deserter debuff) and unable to requeue for 10m. :(

If you're in a losing Ashran, sometimes you can at least get work done on the daily honor sidequests, rares for books/scrolls/artifacts, or occasionally get enough to go the RoC for artifacts. (Although well-led Ashran groups that are winning will usually swing by RoC since it's a really good honor source, so that's not always a given.)