Author Topic: BRF Slagworks (Oregorger, Gruul, Blast Furnace)  (Read 1239 times)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: BRF Slagworks (Oregorger, Gruul, Blast Furnace)
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2015, 07:31:10 AM »
BCP spent an evening on Tuesday GCing on Heroic Gruul. We did not get him down, but we figured out our best strategy. The damaging mechanics were just slightly too punishing on heroic to allow for mistakes.

Logs: https://www.warcraftlogs.com/reports/cTwgDCVHRQWJfP2N/

Our strat consisted of 2 rally points where assigned players would group, green and blue, which were on Gruul's flanks. The current Gruul Tank would stand a little more than 90 degrees from those rally points so the inferno slice wouldn't hit him (in this example, both tanks happen to be hims).

The Inferno Tank would stand grouped with one of the rally groups. When Inferno Slice is cast, Inferno Tank would taunt Gruul, take the slice, then Gruul Tank would taunt back before Overhead Smash. Then Inferno Tank moves to the other rally group. Repeat until Inferno Tank takes 3 slices, then that tank becomes the Gruul Tank and the other becomes the Inferno Tank.

DPS and healers were grouped on the rally points, and would try to return to them as quickly as possible after a Petrify to soak slices. The groups have to adjust slightly to get around Cave In, but the Slice's arc is almost 180 degrees, so standing on either edge of one Cave In is possible.

Since we were raiding on Tuesday before live mechanics were 100% known to guide makers, we spent some of the night under the impression that Inferno Slice happened every 13 seconds, not every 15 seconds, so we were trying to figure out groups taking 2 slices, 3 group configurations, and complicated cat's-cradle tanking patterns among 4 charm points. Turns out he uses the ability every 15 seconds or more, so 2 groups is sufficient. We also thought there was a Grow mechanic or an enrage, when neither of these are true.

We also weren't sure how many would be affected by Petrifying Slam. From the logs, it looks like the first two slams affected 8 players out of 12 non-tanks, then as players died it affected fewer. This mechanic may not scale down by players in the raid, only by players alive, which is not ideal for raids with fewer than 30 players.
o/\o

Marco

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 07:37:38 AM »
Honorata pointed me at this thread: http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/16201260857

The wowhead guide created a lot of confusion over whether groups need to take two inferno slices in a row, but consensus (and experience) indicates that they do not.

It looks like tanks can rotate after two inferno slices, which also makes for a simpler script:

1. MT alone, OT at group 1
2. Inferno slice 1: OT taunts, MT taunts back.  OT moves to group 2.
3. Inferno slice 2: OT taunts, moves to MT spot, becomes MT.  MT moves to group 1 and becomes OT.
4. Repeat steps 2-3 two more times.

Petrifying slam originally affected eight people regardless of group size.  It was hotfixed yesterday to affect 5-10 people depending on group size.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2015, 07:50:22 AM »
I don't think 2 slices is enough time for Overwhelming Blows to fade, but I welcome the time to experiment.
o/\o

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 09:16:07 PM »
I don't think 2 slices is enough time for Overwhelming Blows to fade, but I welcome the time to experiment.

This was our experience tonight in TRR. There are two ways to do this, depending on the sort of tanks you have/how badly affected they are by the Overwhelming Blows debuff they are

Way 1: Technically incorrect and higher tank damage, but TRR killed him with this strat
Inferno Strike 1: Tank A Group 1
Inferno Strike 2: Tank A Group 2
Inferno Strike 3: Tank B Group 1
Inferno Strike 4: Tank B Group 2
Inferno Strike 5: Tank A Group 1
Inferno Strike 6: Tank A Group 2
Phase 2 - Overwhelming Blows will drop off Tank B during this phase
Inferno Strike 1: Tank B Group 1
Inferno Strike 2: Tank B Group 2
Inferno Strike 3: Tank A Group 1
Inferno Strike 4: Tank A Group 2
Inferno Strike 5: Tank B Group 1
Inferno Strike 6: Tank B Group 2

Every P1 the tank taking 4 Inferno Strikes will be taking a lot more damage than they would using the 3 inferno strikes and switch strat.

Way 2: The Correct Way
Repeat every phase 1

Inferno Strike scaling is being changed on Tuesday I believe. (Right now it hits much harder on very small groups than it should.)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2015, 09:19:10 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2015, 05:06:44 AM »
This was our experience tonight in TRR. There are two ways to do this, depending on the sort of tanks you have/how badly affected they are by the Overwhelming Blows debuff they are

Way 1: Technically incorrect and higher tank damage, but TRR killed him with this strat
Inferno Strike 3: Tank B Group 1
Inferno Strike 5: Tank A Group 1
Inferno Strike 6: Tank A Group 2
Phase 2 - Overwhelming Blows will drop off Tank B during this phase
Inferno Strike 1: Tank B Group 1
Inferno Strike 2: Tank B Group 2
Inferno Strike 4: Tank A Group 2

Every P1 the tank taking 4 Inferno Strikes will be taking a lot more damage than they would using the 3 inferno strikes and switch strat.

Way 2: The Correct Way
Repeat every phase 1

Inferno Strike scaling is being changed on Tuesday I believe. (Right now it hits much harder on very small groups than it should.)

So what Way 1 does, it is lets the tank not take an Inferno Strike with 2 stacks of the buff up.  On our first night when we were using Way 2, I was having to survive a hit that was hitting for ~400k with minor cooldowns.  Which meant if I wasn't fully healed, I'd probably die.

edit:  fixing me swapping 1&2
« Last Edit: February 09, 2015, 12:42:56 PM by ghoselle »

Marco

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2015, 06:17:07 AM »
I think Ghoselle meant way 1.  It's a good point that way 1 optimizes better for inferno slice debuffs on the tank, while way 2 optimizes better for overwhelming blows.

The overwhelming blows debuff lasts 60 seconds.  If it weren't for phase 2, tanks would have to rotate every four inferno strikes in order to drop it--which would be terrible for inferno slices on the tanks.  Luckily, phase 2 gives the tanks an extra 20 seconds or so with no overwhelming blows, allowing the debuff to drop.

One could further optimize for tank inferno slices by having tanks swap for each slice.  But I think if the tanks split the overwhelming blows for inferno slice 5 and 6, neither one will have their stacks fall off before the next phase 1.  So you'd have to go ABABAA BABABB or something, and that's too complicated.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2015, 05:36:34 PM »
Comment in the wowhead guide for Oregorger suggests that there are two safe spots during the roll phase.

http://www.wowhead.com/guides/raiding/blackrock-foundry/oregorger-strategy-guide#comments:id=2103666

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 02:26:30 PM »
Here's a diagram I got from Abandoned Jerks:

Here's the accompanying strat, which isn't necessarily useful, but it is good to have a healer stand in either 1 or 2 to minimize movement.

Quote from: AJB Tobin
Oregorger circuit diagram and the healer oscillation dance.

1) The healer is at position 2. Oregorger is at position B.
2) Oregorger rolls to position C. The healer runs from position 2 to 1, going through Oregorger.
3) Oregorger rolls to position D. The healer returns to position 2.
4) Oregorger rolls from position D to A. The healer does not need to move.

2) Oregorger rolls to position C. The healer runs from position 2 to 1, going through Oregorger.
3) Oregorger rolls to position D. The healer returns to position 2.
4) Oregorger rolls from position D to F. The healer runs from position 2 to 1.

3) Oregorger rolls to position E. The healer returns to position 2.
4) Oregorger rolls from position E to C. The healer runs from position 2 to 1, going through Oregorger.

Everyone else just YOLO. The phase will be longer. There will be more fire. We will 5-heal.
o/\o

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:09 AM »
Top post in r/wow this morning is an addon called "Oregorger Tracker," link here. Apparently it display a little map to show where it's safe to stand while Oregorger is rolling around. Getting considerable praise for making that phase easy.