Author Topic: Getting oriented in 6.0  (Read 3389 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Getting oriented in 6.0
« on: October 01, 2014, 06:44:52 AM »
Here are some things you should know for patch 6.0.  This is not about any of the Warlords content, just the changes to the game systems in 6.0.
  • Your stats went down as part of a big numeric squish.  Your health went down a bit and your DPS went down more, as did the numbers on your gear.  Enemies have all been tuned to compensate, and a special buff will make it as easy to solo old raids as it used to be.
  • Some of your buttons are gone or combined into other buttons. Some specializations have had their rotational abilities altered; others have only had situational abilities removed.  Check the "core abilities" tab in your spellbook for your rotational abilities.  See the wowhead class guides or icy-veins transition guides for advice on how to adjust your level 90 play to take into account class changes.
  • Stop worrying about hit, expertise, and haste caps.  Hit and expertise are gone on gear, and haste no longer has dot tick thresholds.  There is a new "multistrike" stat which lets you sometimes hit your target extra times, and a new "versatility" stat which gives you some extra damage and some survivability.  If you don't know which secondary stat is best for you after the patch, it is probably the one listed here.
  • Normal is the new flex for Siege of Orgrimmar and future raids.  It scales from 10 to 30 players and allows cross-realm raid members.  Unlike the old flex mode, you do not queue up for a wing of normal mode; you enter an instance as you would for a traditional organized raid.  You can fight normal-mode bosses multiple times per week, but are only eligible for loot from each boss once per week.
  • Heroic is the new normal.  Like the new normal mode, it scales from 10 to 30 players, allows cross-realm, and uses loot lockouts rather than instance or boss lockouts.  Heroic lockouts are separate from normal and mythic lockouts.
  • Mythic is the new heroic.  It is fixed at 20 players and uses instance-ID lockouts.  Join mythic raid groups with care, as you will not be able to raid in mythic mode with a different group in the same week.  Cross-realm raid members will not be allowed in mythic mode when raid tiers are current.
  • Valor and justice points are gone.  You can upgrade Mists items with lesser charms instead, and use gold to buy items which used to be bought with valor points.  PvE heirlooms can be purchased at the Darkmoon Faire (for tickets) or Trial of the Crusader (for seals) until the heirloom system is revamped in a future patch.
  • Healers should expect larger player health pools relative to the size of their heals and the incoming damage.  Get a sense for which of your healing spells are efficient and which are faster and more expensive.  Your mana regen should allow you to use efficient spells freely, and to use faster spells sometimes when needed.
  • Healers should look for spirit on cloaks, rings, necks, and trinkets. You won't find it in other slots.
  • Tanks no longer have vengeance although self-healing and absorbtion abilities are still modified by a similar mechanic called "resolve."  Tank DPS should be better than in the past while soloing or offtanking, but shouldn't rise to super-high levels while taking heavy damage in raids.  Tanks are intended to be more dependent on healers to survive against raid bosses, so may feel a bit squishier than they did in Mists.
  • Tanks should look for bonus armor on shields, cloaks, rings, necks, and trinkets.  It should be the best DPS stat and the best defensive stat for tanks.
  • If you don't like the outlines around NPCs, you can turn them off. From the escape menu, go to Interface -> Display -> Outline Mode.  I think you're stuck with them for ground items needed for quests; the old sparklies are gone from the game engine.
  • Visit the bank and buy a reagents tab.  Most reagents have a much higher stack count, so you can consolidate multiple stacks.  Also check out the toy box, a new tab alongside your mount and pet collections.  There is more on quality of life improvements here.
For a more in-depth look, see this wowhead guide to patch 6.0.2.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 06:40:54 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Getting oriented in 6.0
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 06:52:36 AM »
I am still on the lookout for 6.0 class guides; they don't seem to exist yet.  If they start to pop up in the couple of weeks before the patch lands, I will edit the above post.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 07:22:24 AM »
What's a loot lockout?  (As opposed to a boss lockout?)

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 07:27:56 AM »
What's a loot lockout?  (As opposed to a boss lockout?)

Its how LFR/Flex/Celestials/Ordos currently works. You can run the instance/world boss as many times as you'd like, but you only get loot once.

As opposed to instance/boss lockouts, where you are prevented from attempting any boss you've already killed.

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 07:55:05 AM »
Super helpful Marco. Thanks!

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 10:04:16 AM »
wowhead put out a giant 6.0.2 prepatch guide covering 6.0 changes in much more detail, including what new things there are to do while waiting for the Warlords launch.  I will link to it at the end of my post.

In the absence of traditional 6.0 class guides, people might want to look at the class guides focusing on changes.  They aren't based on theorycrafting, so they won't tell you how to gear or optimize your rotation, but they have a really thorough look at the changes you will see, as well as what Blizzard developers have said on twitter or the forums about the class.

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:46:44 AM »
Thanks, Marco! This is awesome.

What do other guilds/communities do without a Marco?
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:42 AM »
What do other guilds/communities do without a Marco?

Suck

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:55:37 AM »
They are lost, for they do not know the power and glory of The Sigh.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:09 AM »
I have a feeling a lot of groups try to "do it live." And The Sigh would be a welcome replacement to a Raid Leader Meltdown.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 12:43:00 PM »
All the 'toy' items I have go into my toybox automatically, right? Because that will free up like 3 bags.

Are toys account-wide (like pets and mounts)?
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 01:04:21 PM »
They are account wide but on the Beta you had to put some of them into the Toy box but that was just a case of clicking on them to add them to the Toy box.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Ozara

• Three Rivers Member
  • Shiba-Inus are better than you.
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2014, 08:51:23 AM »
Thanks Marco and thanks for the wowhead link.

I love a lot of the user experience and ease of play improvements (reagent bags, larger stacks, toy box, etc.). I am now officially stoked about 6.0.
Yuinergos - Anubrisnaruu - etc.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 09:53:15 AM »
Marco's is better, but Wowhead just released their pale comparison: http://www.wowhead.com/news=243432/guide-to-whats-coming-in-the-warlords-of-draenor-6-0-2-prepatch
o/\o

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2014, 10:02:46 AM »
Marco's is better, but Wowhead just released their pale comparison: http://www.wowhead.com/news=243432/guide-to-whats-coming-in-the-warlords-of-draenor-6-0-2-prepatch

Isn't this the same thing Marco linked to (bottom of original post; originally mentioned in his followup reply)?  Or do I need more coffee?
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)