Author Topic: FORUM UPDATE 8/9  (Read 2327 times)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
FORUM UPDATE 8/9
« on: August 09, 2014, 04:58:11 AM »
The wee hours of the morning. I've upgraded our software to 2.0.8. Sorry it looks weird!

In case you missed the Steam DC group post:

Several hours ago, I was alerted to odd behavior with the login and logout on the forum. Another user was experiencing issues with session persistence/verification when attempting to post, and then I started noticing the same. My password didn't work, then it did, then the forgot password link didn't work, then it did...

So, after a whirlwind of restoring older versions of the forum software and the forum database, I have to leave the forum in maintenance mode until I can upgrade to SMF 2.x . I've tried to restore a clean version of the current software, but that isn't working. This will hopefully be completed sometime on 8/9 after I get some rest. Yes, we have several backups of the content.

1) You may notice that posts from Friday, 8/8 are missing. I assure you, they're somewhere! I just need to merge them from some backup tables. Until then, 8/8 hasn't happened yet.

2) Our old theme, Mobile, is not yet updated for 2.0. I'm going to see if it can be, and if not, I'll find a suitable black and white replacement.

3) Please let me know if anyone has any trouble with "Session verification". Hopefully that ship has sailed.

4) Many of our old plugins, like WoW Characters and the wowhead integration, are no longer enabled (they were old). I will do my best to restore that functionality asap.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:29:10 AM by Edalia »
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
Re: FORUM UPDATE 8/9
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2014, 05:11:31 AM »
Also, changing your passwords, and definitely making sure that they don't match any other password you have, is a good idea. I'm going to look into adding SSL to the site, as well.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2014, 01:27:15 PM »
After verifying that all old mods and software are uninstalled and all older versions/admin pages have been squirreled away or deleted, I've taken the forums out of maintenance mode. Still to come are work on the 4 above issues.

Thank you all for your patience.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2014, 02:32:04 PM »
One more thing before I go: Tapatalk is not enabled yet. I'm going to upgrade it and enable it as well.
o/\o

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2014, 04:01:20 PM »
Wow, that's a lot of hard work.  I really appreciate the time you've put in to creating a space for us to exchange cat gifs.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2014, 04:50:52 PM »
Super hero!
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Rinkitink, Belf Hunter
Misc:  Kikiaru, L51 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior /  Sootandash, L100  Tauren Druid

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2014, 09:07:30 PM »
To be fair, it definitely would have gone more smoothly if I were less of a web-idiot and didn't have to look up basic Linux commands regularly.

EDIT: but thank you!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 09:14:03 PM by Edalia »
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2014, 10:12:40 PM »
Sorry for the hiccup, I thought I could quickly change some things in the wee hours of the morning, but we have dilligent posters about! If you were kicked back out to a login in the last 10 minutes or so, it was because I was futzing with stuff. I hope no one lost any significant work.
o/\o

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2014, 05:01:09 AM »
Oh no! You've lost my post on the 20 things you can do you to be a more successful raider. Number 11 was amazing!

Seriously, to me all this look good. My only request, and it's low-priority, is to have the "show all new posts since last visit" link. Assuming that SMF 2.0 allows it, of course.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2014, 05:33:30 AM »
I still seem to have that button.  Right below "Hello Marco" in the upper left, there is a link for "Show unread posts since last visit."  (My bookmark also continues to work for this: http://www.deadlycupcakes.org/forums/index.php?action=unread )

If the 8/8 posts wind up lost, I have a couple of things to repost, and I think most of the rest was in the anniversary event thread.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2014, 09:14:02 AM »
Thank you for fixing it so quickly.
Andius (Hunter 110),Belandius (Priest 110),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 110),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 110) Kamandius (Monk 110), Ishandius (Demon Hunter 110)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2014, 11:02:23 AM »
If the 8/8 posts wind up lost, I have a couple of things to repost, and I think most of the rest was in the anniversary event thread.

I have the posts in a backup table in the database, I just have to get some time to select the right ones and merge them into the live posts table.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2014, 06:26:38 AM »
Thank you for doing all of this work.  If you find yourself in need of basic Linux help and you notice I'm online feel free to message me with questions.

Winston

• Cupcakes Member
  • RPing since 1976
    • Argothald
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2014, 10:54:45 AM »
I still seem to have that button.  Right below "Hello Marco" in the upper left, there is a link for "Show unread posts since last visit."  (My bookmark also continues to work for this: http://www.deadlycupcakes.org/forums/index.php?action=unread )

Indeed so! I was fooled by it being on the other side of the page than I'm used to, and the link not having much color differentiation from the rest of the text to my aging eyes.

TL;DR: Edalia, everything's fine.
Bill Seligman
Alliance: Winston, Yungi, Pellinore, Tebyalyublyu, Theadora, Vasili, Winella, Winstonia
Horde: Grotar, Swiftslice

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2014, 06:57:21 AM »
Man, if your 2 sentences was TL and I DR it, I would be a terrible admin!
o/\o