Author Topic: Levelling times?  (Read 797 times)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
Levelling times?
« on: July 02, 2014, 05:26:22 PM »
So far, I've played 9.5 hours, and I just dinged 13.  Am I levelling really slowly, or is this about typical?  I feel like the game just draaaaaags.

When are mounts?  15?  I'm wondering if I'm spoiled by GW2's teleporters, because I'm tired of running everywhere.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Levelling times?
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 05:44:06 PM »
My understanding (from a random podcast I watched) is that Wildstar has a pretty harsh XP penalty for doing quests below your level.  So if you're finishing all of the quests in a zone before moving on, you won't level very quickly--which is of course fine if you have no specific endgame plans.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 10:05:36 PM »
What Marco said, you'll level much more quickly if you make a point of doing quests at or above your level, 9.5 hours to level 13 seems longer than what I've experienced, I'll have to check my /played on Wren since she's right around 12-13 now.

You do get your mount at 15 (assuming you haven't spent all your money on housing at 14), it's also worth noting if you visit our faction city and do the intro quest, the quest reward is a permanent teleport to the city (with a 24 hr cooldown) to go along with your transmat teleport and your eventual house teleport. So that can be handy. I got it at level 8 because I met someone in the city early on.

I've had moments of "MOST RUN FASTER" but generally it hasn't been nearly as painful as WoW leveling pre-mount in terms of running just because 90% of the quests you end up being able to turn in without returning to the quest giver because of the communicator. But then I'm an explorer so I tend to like running around and jumping on all the things anyway so I may not notice as much :)

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2014, 04:52:39 AM »
Ahhhh I didn't know about the xp penalty.  I'm exactly doing that: I'm being completionist before moving on.  Okay.

It's tricky for me to figure out what is UR DOIN IT RONG vs I'm just burned out on videogames.  :)  "Hey, your game sucks, I don't want to play" is not exactly useful.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2014, 06:15:57 AM »
If you decide you don't want to be completionist then you want to be sure you're always doing the stuff at the top of your list.  Basically, do world story first, then zone story and mostly ignore the missions.

That said, I'm enjoying having new content to play with so I'm also leveling slowly and being completionist.

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2014, 04:01:40 PM »
I don't know how useful this information is, but here you go anyway.

Level 47 Medic: 3 days, 21 hours, 47 minutes. First character made, so a lot of running around while learning may have slowed things down a bit. However, I solely play this character with my husband, Matt, so that may have sped things up a bit too.

Level 20 Esper: 19 hours, 28 minutes. Solo leveling character.

Level 15 Warrior: 8 hours, 37 minutes. Solo leveling character.

Level 13 Stalker: 7 hours, 33 minutes. Group leveling.

Level 9 Engineer: 3 hours, 38 minutes. Group leveling.

I rarely (if ever) complete entire zones.
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2014, 10:22:03 PM »
I realized my played time on wren isn't a good indicator because I've spent hours doing things like seeing how high I could climb a tree and I also spent some time rp-ing in thayd meeting up with the Novastar Coalition near the underground tunnels *cue dramatic organ music*

Anyway I'm currently level 13 on Wren with about 19 hours played and I've been playing very much in a completionist sort of way, and I'm an explorer so I explore ALL of the map and jump on ALL of the things.

I also realized another reason I don't notice running so much is because as an explorer I get explorer speed flags that let me zip across the zone *zoom*