Author Topic: Thoughts on Classes?  (Read 813 times)

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
Thoughts on Classes?
« on: June 13, 2014, 12:02:04 PM »
So I watched the different class trailers and some various gameplay vids, and no class really jumped out at me. When I gave the Open Beta a whirl I thought that Esper might be fun since I have a hard on for Psychic oriented stuff...but it felt more like playing Green Lantern than Hector Hammond (oh god I just referenced the horrible Green Lantern movie by accident). So I got bored and quit...

The thing is, I really want to like Wildstar, but I don't think I would enjoy actually playing any of the classes. So my question is, from your experience, do classes end up playing differently than the way they were presented in the intro videos?
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
Re: Thoughts on Classes?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 01:39:56 PM »
I'm not going to go back and watch all the videos to compare BUT I will say that Esper is probably the odd duck because you don't get your mobile abilities until  15-20 and then the class opens up more. I happen to like Esper quite a bit but I'd say it's the hardest class to learn to play well right now and it needs a little more oomf to make the less mobile abilities feel more worthwhile.

I'm really enjoying spellslinger, I'm like a super mobile mage a super mobile mage that zips in and out of existence around you. (they have an ability called gate that's sort of like you blinking past someone and popping out the other side and they get stunned as you pass through them)

Stalker I find refreshing to play every so often because there's less targeting involved, I'm just pouncing on things and shredding them to pieces. Sneaking up on them in stealth and marking them for extra damage ahead of time just makes it more fun.

Same with warrior it's sort of a jump into the middle of the group and start thrashing things class.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 07:32:01 AM »
I'm finding Engineer hard to play.  If they fix the stupid bot aggro problems this might get better but right now it's a gigantic pain in the ass.  I find myself running from Prime mobs a lot while desperately clicking to try and dismiss my bots.  I also mount frequently just to get the damned things out of the way so I can walk past mobs.

I rolled a spellslinger in beta and enjoyed that a lot so I'm doing it again.  It's light armor so something of a glass cannon, but the fact that you get to do shields and heals as a ranged DPS is very interesting to me.  It's one of the best hybridizations I've played.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 10:31:48 AM »
I watched an Engineer video by Zybak the other night and the class seemed interesting, but its lack of mobility was the major thing that rubbed me the wrong way.

I also watched a video by Taugrim last night for a Lifesteal-Melee build with the Esper ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBBdmAy0bnU ). It looked intriguing, but I was immediately put off by the class's animations and armor aesthetics.

I'm thinking I might try and give Wildstar another chance if I can bum a Guest Pass off of someone. Like I say...I want to like it, but the first impressions during Beta didn't tickle my pickle.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 10:48:12 AM »
I can hit you up with a guest pass if you're ready for it. I'd recommend trying a spellslinger and/or a stalker. They both present pretty well at lower levels.

As a guide you have the tutorial 1-3, then a starter zone until about level 6/7, then you're out in the world.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 12:00:39 PM »
I can hit you up with a guest pass if you're ready for it. I'd recommend trying a spellslinger and/or a stalker. They both present pretty well at lower levels.

As a guide you have the tutorial 1-3, then a starter zone until about level 6/7, then you're out in the world.

Thanks Wren. I will probably hit you up about that before the weekend. Stalker was actually the one I had planned on giving a whirl, mainly because I'm hoping that by being a tank hybrid it can play similar to SWTOR's Assassin/Shadow class (my favorite MMO class of all time). I've read good stuff on Spellslingers too, but the gameplay videos didn't appeal much to me.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 06:59:50 AM »
I think that the tank classes have less mobility by design.  They wear heavier armor and tend to have more interrupt mechanics.  My experience in playing 5-mans so far has been that mobile tanks are piss-all hard to heal, given that healing effects are directional and tend to have cast times.  There are some instants and some omnidirectional heals, but generally if you can't keep a tank targeted you can't keep it alive.

This has been a major reason I haven't tried full-on healing - I find it strains my hands enough just keeping myself moving and out of the area of enemy effects.  Trying to keep a party healed while doing that would probably make me cry.