Author Topic: 2 factor authentication now available  (Read 963 times)

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
2 factor authentication now available
« on: May 28, 2014, 05:09:39 PM »
Well shortly available, the accounts page is being pummeled to death right now. But once it settles down you can set it up, it's using the google authenticator app.

general details here: http://www.reddit.com/r/WildStar/comments/26qbae/psa_twostep_verification_authenticator_support/

Setting up 2 factor authentication also grants you some benefits in-game so it's win-win.

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
Re: 2 factor authentication now available
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2014, 11:22:01 PM »
It might be an idea *not* to enable this until the opening crush has passed--because I'm getting a strong feeling that the extra authentication steps are just giving their servers more chances to drop my login on the floor right now.
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2014, 03:26:29 AM »
I got in fine late last night (~9pm).
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Periastron

• Guild Agitator :)
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2014, 04:24:13 AM »
Yes, actually, after that first hour of the Head Start, I haven't had any trouble, either.
GW2 Tag: Periastron.7302; Server: Jade Quarry

Dagny

« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 06:47:47 AM »
I've never seen this weird-ass "click on the numbers in non-obvious places" UI for two-factor auth before, has anyone else? I can't imagine the goal of such a scheme...

Thanamira

• Bunny Champion
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 08:24:03 AM »
My wild guess is that it's meant to thwart screengrabbers/keyloggers.  How, I don't know.
Thanamira (110 arcane maga), Reonna (110 prot warrior), Gaillardia (100 eventual resto druid)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:37:15 AM »
I've never seen this weird-ass "click on the numbers in non-obvious places" UI for two-factor auth before, has anyone else? I can't imagine the goal of such a scheme...

capitalone360 (formerly ingdirect) uses it to, as Thana mentioned, thwart keyloggers. Each click doesn't actually transmit the digit, but a translation that changes periodically.
o/\o

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 10:16:37 PM »
They recently posted a huge write-up about their 2-factor auth:
https://forums.wildstar-online.com/forums/index.php?/topic/90344-carbine-2-step-verification-explained/

They do mention that the reason for the click/randomized keypad is there to combat keyloggers since "A prominent game company has had two major account hack incidents in the past few years that used key loggers."

reddit referenced an older article that explained the incidents blizzard ran into: http://www.cinemablend.com/games/Blizzard-Admits-Accounts-With-Authenticators-Have-Been-Hacked-42909.html

As suspected those incidents usually involved people who were just running every file sharing program under the sun and had the worst habits ever that opened them up to that level of keylogging so at that point I'm not sure even the keypad is going to save you but I guess more stumbling blocks more better.

Wren

• Cupcakes Mod
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:27:20 AM »
In case you needed more motivation for 2-factor auth, you now get a free mount (should appear July 10)

http://www.wildstar-online.com/en/news/new-mount-2factor-auth/