Author Topic: 5 Reasons The Video Game Industry Is About To Crash (Cracked.com, NSFW)  (Read 836 times)

Crayzfurball

http://www.cracked.com/article_20727_5-reasons-video-game-industry-about-to-crash.html

Interesting article, though I feel it to be a bit too exaggerated in places. Just wanted to post it for discussion's sake.

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
Re: 5 Reasons The Video Game Industry Is About To Crash (Cracked.com, NSFW)
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2013, 05:40:05 AM »
Interesting, but entirely wrong, I think. My view on the modern video game industry is that there has never been a better time for video games. There are tons and tons of small, innovative, addictive games coming out all the time from small publishers, because the Internet has allowed for the reasonably efficient distribution of such games without corporate middle-men. I mean, look at Steam and, say, Binding of Isaac: a niche game that builds on Legend of Zelda that grew so successful that they're creating an "sequel" for PS4, with talks of bringing the game to iOS.

And there's no sign that the AAA games are going anywhere anytime soon, no matter how derivative they are. CoD: Ghosts is getting critically panned and didn't pre-sell as much as its predecessor but it still made one billion dollars for the publisher on launch day. So, I don't think the industry is about to crash. I think the AAA publishers will continue to make buckets of money, but that the "good games," the games that come up with new ideas and new game play, will come from smaller developers publishing through less traditional platforms.

Chibe

• Wiper of raids
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2013, 05:42:16 AM »
Feels like i just read someone's rant.

Vylin

• Mains Are For Casuals
  • Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2013, 07:42:59 AM »
I think Tweed is right. I do think the article has some good points, but I think we will see less of the AAA Developers crashing and burning and more of the Independants rising up due to new(ish) means of distribution like Steam. We're already seeing it now, but I think that area will continue to grow.

The other thing to consider is the cost of gaming, I know my budget is getting tighter with my costs of living going up and my check size going down. So despite all the shiny new systems coming out, I can't just drop $500 on a console and $60-70 on a new game. I have to wait for things to go on sale or drop in price. That makes those Steam Sales, Humble Bundles, or other discounted games a much more attractive offer. And of course, paying $10 for an Indy game can beat the hell out of paying $60 for a new shiny game that has a 6-hour campaign.
SWTOR Characters: Republic - Zerana, Hedrak, Joanna, Delmond; Empire - Destro, Entropi, Pennance, Purgatori

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 09:10:22 AM »
Very little of the article made the case that it was talking about anything new.  I've been hearing complaints about suits in charge of techies, exploitive business practices, corrupt reviewers, and insane production budgets for more than a decade.  The only thing new is Steam.

And, seriously, user reviews?  User reviews are mostly a measure of how many people you pissed off with your DRM or some other tightly focused aspect of the game.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 10:14:04 AM »
The one insight from the review section is that, for non-CoD/Madden-type games, people will take more of a wait-and-see approach. That could lead to companies putting less stock in reviews and no longer courting reviewing sites, sure.

More likely, it will just ensure that more focus will turn to safe AAA franchises that sell one-fucking-billion despite being more of the same.
o/\o