Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 66139 times)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #690 on: November 06, 2017, 06:27:19 AM »
The dungeon crawl thing might be fun. hard to tell from what they showed.
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #691 on: November 07, 2017, 06:22:06 AM »

Agree. I think the addition of repeatable solo content could be fun and I would definitely pay for that. I expect it'll be hinkey at first and improve as they go along. My concern is that so far every PvE encounter has had a "solution" deck. I worry that will still be true even in a generated system. I can think of ways to mitigate it, but I guess we'll see what Blizzard comes up with.

ghoselle

• Three Rivers Moderator
    • Three Rivers
« Reply #692 on: November 07, 2017, 07:30:55 AM »

Agree. I think the addition of repeatable solo content could be fun and I would definitely pay for that. I expect it'll be hinkey at first and improve as they go along. My concern is that so far every PvE encounter has had a "solution" deck. I worry that will still be true even in a generated system. I can think of ways to mitigate it, but I guess we'll see what Blizzard comes up with.

For me, the dungeon sounds like it fixes what I found missing from hearthstone:  repeatable solo play not gated on having collected/bought enough cards to be successful.  But by putting it behind a moderately expensive expansion, it means I'll probably just play Ascension on my ipad instead of hearthstone.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #693 on: November 07, 2017, 11:01:02 AM »
They mentioned something about the dungeon crawl not costing anything, but the details on that are yet to come, so I'm not sure exactly how "free."

But given that I've at least dabbled in all expansions using only gold, so I've never used real money ever.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2017, 11:02:34 AM by Cree »
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #694 on: November 16, 2017, 04:54:17 AM »
This week's Tavern Brawl gives a pack for the next set "available mid-December".

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #695 on: December 01, 2017, 07:27:03 AM »
Another disappointing ranked season for me. Barely squeaked into 14th, win rate minimally above 50%. Still playing mostly control warlock, with some tempo rogue and a bit of jade druid thrown in for variety.

Exodia mage sucks. I have the cards and can play it myself but damned if I know how to counter it, except with one of those "wins on turn 7 50% of the time" decks.

New expansion drops December 7th, about a week sooner than I expected. I won't have the gold to buy heavily into it when it drops, but since other sets are not rotating out this time I don't expect seismic shifts in the metagame.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #696 on: December 04, 2017, 06:26:54 AM »
Kripparian let off a serious rip on Hearthstone ranked play last week. I lost the URL, unfortunately, and it was embedded in one of his standard videos so not easily re-found, but it started from a question of "why do you play Arena all the time?" His answer is that Standard ranked sucks because it's dominated by netdecking and doesn't show any skill.

Basically, once an expansion drops, spend $50 or so to get most of the cards. Then wait a few days for people to post decks. If you're good, you make one of those and can play it to rank up. If you're not good, wait a few days until people post guides to the decks that get lots of upvotes and then just follow the guide.

The amount of skill is way down (at least on the below-rank-5 ladder) and the amount of grinding is high. He's not wrong.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #697 on: December 06, 2017, 06:22:18 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNOjAa0_wTw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlyasy0rMOA

Kibbler and Kripparian both put out recent videos on the (perceived) cost of Hearthstone. It's a topic that's been talked about for some time.

Kibbler admits that he's a "whale" in the game - he spends a lot on HS; for example, to get enough dust to have gold versions of all the cards he plays. He points out that people may feel the game costs a lot because even though you can pay a lot of money you aren't necessarily getting the core experience. I went a long time with no Death Knight cards(*) and no Quest cards when those were a thing. If you spend money and still don't have the main themes and the core deck types it can feel like a waste.

The math for purchases is also bad. Statistically, given the duplication rates and rarities, buying the $50 best-on-offer pack at launch will get you about 1/6th of the cards in that expansion. I can't think of a non-CCG game where you'd spend that much and get that little. Over in the other cost-of-games-thread the discussion has been about peoples' reluctance to pay $50 or $60 for a AAA title where at least you're getting a full game.

He suggests applying the Legendary rule to Epics, where you wouldn't get another copy of an Epic you already had two of, and adding a small amount of dust to every pack to make crafting the cards you didn't get easier.

The other problem is the ladder system, which is a major focus of Blizzard's efforts but which serves only a small percentage of the player base. They've tried to improve that by adding things like fireside gatherings and allowing quests to be completed in friendly matches, but that doesn't fix the ladder, which is the focus of everyone's attention. To ladder you want the majority of the cards and a free-to-play or low-spend player still finds themselves matched against people who have full sets and can play the top tier decks.

Kripparian is Canadian and is not happy about the way Blizzard has priced things in non-US currencies. Apparently the pre-order of 50 price is higher than the cost for him of just buying 50 packs in the store at normal prices.

His point about there being more legendaries so each set is more expensive to craft and how that impacts play is kind of hard to summarize. Basically, people don't know what to craft so they sideline themselves (I've done this) and that's the opposite of what Blizzard should be aiming for, which is to engage people more with each expansion. He also dislikes the slow pace of balance changes; his argument is that low-spend people quickly see the dominant deck types and work to make that over time only to find it nerfed shortly after they can make it. This was exactly my experience with Jade druid.

(*) I got one free like lots of other people, but it was Paladin and that card is pretty worthless. I've still never played it.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #698 on: December 08, 2017, 05:56:19 AM »
First impressions of Kobolds:

Really loving the solo content. Rogue-like (one loss and you're out) a fair amount of variability and interesting experimentation. I wouldn't be surprised to see some of these mechanics make it into future brawls or even spells.

The set itself is underwhelming. Priest is going to get even more annoying (why does Blizzard always help the dominant class?) but other changes aren't likely to be huge. Overall it feels like the set emphasizes value (get more of X) by sacrificing tempo (wait longer, do more to get it). Right now, the HS meta is very tempo-based so I suspect we won't see that change for a while.

That said, many of these cards feel like set-ups for later things. Neutral demons? A paladin Elemental? On their own they don't make a ton of sense but I can see where Blizz might make use of them with cards in a future set.

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #699 on: December 11, 2017, 08:16:12 PM »
Tried out the new expansion for the first time today and I really, really love it. I've long given up on any kind of competitive play and haven't played since the first week of Frozen Throne's release. A friend mentioned how fun the dungeon system is and I completely agree; it's a perfect system for people who don't have the time/money to invest in competitive play while remaining challenging. I managed to complete a run with a priest deck after several failed attempts (including a pathetic loss to the first boss due to clowning around on a warlock try) and the feeling of getting that win was amazing.

Hats off to Blizz for this new mechanic, I hope it sticks around.