Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 66064 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2013, 02:52:47 PM »
http://blue.mmo-champion.com/topic/280413-battlenet-desktop-app-issue/ explains how to work around the app being broken on XP, although the workaround is apparently "uninstall the dekstop app."  Cree uses XP and didn't have any trouble launching Hearthstone recently, but hasn't tried to launch WoW since 1pm or so.

bleunienn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2013, 02:59:25 PM »
I have Windows 7, though, not XP.  I just closed everything and rebooted, and now it's just yelling at me about my graphics drivers.

Which I guess is an improvement?  We'll see if it loads after the drivers update.  Meanwhile, Pandora has a Warcraft soundtrack channel.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2013, 03:09:18 PM »
So is it just me or is this game (too) susceptible to zerg rush?  By this I mean you fill your deck with lots of cheap cards and get a bunch of things out on the field quickly. This tends to beat decks with combos or big creatures almost all the time.  This is a problem I've seen in the few card-battle games I've tried.

I see that Hearthstone has some mechanics that try to counter this - cards that deal a small amount of damage to every enemy creature and the taunt mechanic but it feels like those are both mandatory and depend on too much luck to draw at the right time.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2013, 06:57:47 PM »
I've not found many people who use that strategy against me, but I usually have some form of AOE, multi-target spell or hero power that keeps it at bay.   Plus the 7 minion limit should make doing that with 1s and 2s not really worth it.

I play a shaman deck that kind of depends on having enough minions out to make bloodlust worth while.

I'm also not the best player in the world (I kind of wish, and kind of don't wish, that I could see my hidden rating) so my view might be skewed by where I am on the ladder. 
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2013, 06:59:51 PM »
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #20 on: November 18, 2013, 07:03:23 AM »
So is it just me or is this game (too) susceptible to zerg rush?  By this I mean you fill your deck with lots of cheap cards and get a bunch of things out on the field quickly. This tends to beat decks with combos or big creatures almost all the time.  This is a problem I've seen in the few card-battle games I've tried.

I see that Hearthstone has some mechanics that try to counter this - cards that deal a small amount of damage to every enemy creature and the taunt mechanic but it feels like those are both mandatory and depend on too much luck to draw at the right time.

Every card game has a weenie/aggro strategy that will beat anyone with a slow draw or who doesn't have some mass removal. The counter is built in in the form of taunt and mass removal. If you sacrifice that to get your combo off, then you just have to accept losses to aggro decks.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2013, 07:19:11 AM »
OK that's what I figured. So far this is the most fun I've had playing a game I utterly suck at.  Pogue asked me why I'm enjoying it so much and I think it's a combination of familiar elements, simple enough mechanics and relatively quick gameplay, and the fact that it's unlike any other game I'm playing.

I do have Solforge but I just completely do not get how that game works. I've watched videos and had people try to explain it to me, but apparently I'm a dummy because I do not understand "deck building within-game" as opposed to how decks are made in Hearthstone (and other similar choose-M-of-N games).

I am currently finding it a very good replacement for pet battling in WoW - it's taking up the same 20-30 minute blocks I used to use on pet battles.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2013, 07:34:54 AM »
Do you have anything running iOS?  I like Ascension for deck-building-within-the-game.  The UI is super friendly, so you don't have to know anything at all about rules or strategy to get started.

I think Dominion is another game in this class.  You probably know someone with a cardboard copy.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2013, 08:07:51 AM »
I do have Solforge but I just completely do not get how that game works. I've watched videos and had people try to explain it to me, but apparently I'm a dummy because I do not understand "deck building within-game" as opposed to how decks are made in Hearthstone (and other similar choose-M-of-N games).

I feel like this may be my fault. I was trying to explain why you discard your hand at the end of a turn in Solforge (it's a mechanic from deckbuilding, or "deck-building-within-game", games). That doesn't make Solforge a deckbuilding game.

Solforge and Hearthstone are TCGs, with traditional elements of constructed TCGs, where you build a deck before the game and play it with the goal of racing your opponent (generally by reducing their life total to 0 before they reduce yours to 0). Ascension and Dominion are deckbuilding games, where all players start with a deck that they improve over the course of the game, with the goal of having more victory points at the end of a game than all opponents.

The difference in feel between Hearthstone and Solforge is the resource mechanics, since there's no mana-type resource in SF. Your resources are moves (2 each turn) and cards in your deck (leveled-up cards are more powerful). You spend moves to improve both your on-board position (creatures in play relative to your opponent's) and your deck (playing a card levels it up), helping you draw more powerful cards later on. Cards in Solforge are not a limited resource since you completely refill your hand every turn.

Hearthstone is more Magic-like, where you spend mana and cards to improve your on-board position only. Cards are limited, in that when you spend 2 cards but only draw one per turn, you eventually run out of "gas." Hearthstone differs from Magic in that you neither draw a land nor are required to draw lands, so each draw is a card that does something ("gas").

Your ideas about what's good in Hearthstone will probably translate to Solforge more than you may think :).
o/\o

Grace

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2013, 09:14:07 AM »
Do you have anything running iOS?  I like Ascension for deck-building-within-the-game.  The UI is super friendly, so you don't have to know anything at all about rules or strategy to get started.

I think Dominion is another game in this class.  You probably know someone with a cardboard copy.

Or you can learn/play Dominion online: http://www.goko.com/games/Dominion
/highfive

"My hard exterior masks a soft, nougat-y center."
- Tinkerballa, The Guild

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2013, 09:29:05 AM »

Or you can learn/play Dominion online: http://www.goko.com/games/Dominion

Productivity just went to zero, thanks grace.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2013, 10:23:16 AM »
The coolest part about Dominion Online is that it will only cost me another $150 to play the cards I already own in real life.

And no, I didn't fall for MTGO, either.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2013, 06:21:15 AM »
OK, yes, I was confused about the discussion of Solforge.  I still don't see how to improve my deck there - in Hearthstone at least the combinations are clearer and the chain of events makes sense.  Cards I haven't seen surprise me, and people think up clever combos.  But in Solforge I can't even beat the trainer and I have no idea why. It just always seems to have rank 2 cards much sooner than I get them and rank 3s while I still draw rank 2s.

And the need to discard my hand at the end of every turn in Solforge means I can't think about combos in the way I can in Hearthstone. It just feels like I'm flailing at random.

The kids have iPads - I may try Ascension there, or Dominion online if I have the time.  Thanks for the pointers.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2013, 07:11:44 AM »
You shouldn't be thinking combos so much as synergy, in both Hearthstone and Solforge.

For instance, Energy Surge and Metamind Adept draw extra cards in SF. This synergizes well with Steelforged Avatar, whose power and health scale with how many Alloyin cards you have in your hand. It's not a combo, per se, but it's synergy-Steelforged Avatar is already respectable if you only have 4 other cards in your hand.

You want good cards that are better with other cards/situations. One quick example in HS is Acidic Swamp Ooze. Yes, it's backbreaking when your 2-mana creature destroys an opponent's Truesilver Champion or Arcanite Reaper-but it's also a solid 3/2 for 2 if they have no weapon, so you can play it against anything, not just Shaman/Warrior/Paladin/Rogue.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2013, 11:03:14 AM »
I think of combos in Hearthstone particularly because many things are sequence dependent.  For example, there's a great combo where you play the guru zerker followed by a cheap 1-mana thing that does 1 damage and you use that to shoot the zerker.  Or you use the spell that gives +2 health, then the spell that doubles health.  Annoying minions with Taunt-R-Us!