Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 61949 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #660 on: July 05, 2017, 02:29:03 PM »
This week's brawl is the most fun I've had in brawl in a long time. They're celebrating Ragnaros (fire festival trailer here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt1asIeoYVQ) and the gimmick is that Rags is an untargetable side-switching minion that fires at your opponent's things, randomly. Every time it kills a thing its power goes up for next turn.

Without too many spoilers I'll say I figured out the gimmick easily and won six in a row. The reason for redoing the brawl (in addition to it being fun) is that you get rewards for the mini-Rags minion killing things. I leave it to those who want to discover it to find out what.

I also recommend playing with the sound on, if you can. It's amusing.

ETA: Oh, and if you have a gold-awarding quest it gives double gold now. I tried this with a pack-awarding quest (watch a friend) but did not get two packs.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 02:31:23 PM by Snique »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #661 on: July 08, 2017, 10:05:07 AM »
http://www.hearthpwn.com/guides/2963-knights-of-the-frozen-throne-hearthstones-sixth

Hearthpwn's summary page for what's known about the next expansion. Another big one, at 135 cards, including some free PvE content. A couple of interesting new mechanics, Icecrown Citadel location and themes.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #662 on: July 19, 2017, 08:05:05 PM »
The release date for the next expansion has reputedly been slipped as August 10. Or maybe 8, as that's a Tuesday.

In any event, the Fire Festival has given way to the Frost Festival in which one gets a free arena run and starts with one win already. The reward for playing three arena games (so losses count) is a future pack "available in mid-August". The fireworks have been replaced with a big snowflake on the "Wow" emote.

ETA: Although I like arena and played my freebie I won't be playing more. The extra-win reward is not bad but in effect what it means is that you're paying gold for current packs (awarded in Arena) rather than new packs next month. If they gave those as rewards I'd be all over it, but as is I'm saving my 3k gold for the new packs.

Some people who are good and/or lucky at Arena can use it to make gold - depending on RNGeezus you get more than your 150g entry fee somewhere around 7 wins. My average run is 3 wins so even with a free 4th win I'm going to end up gold-negative this way.

Also, the double gold for quests is gone, boo. Ahune is amusing, but I like Ragnaros better.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 05:47:02 AM by Snique »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #663 on: July 21, 2017, 05:32:08 AM »
After two weeks of good brawls this one is awful. Two fixed characters, two fixed decks - paladin vs mage. I have yet to experience or see mage win a game. Since heroes are immune (can't be healed or armored, only damaged by destroying static objects on the board) as soon as the paladin draws a weapon it's game over. Since you take no damage from hitting things with your face it's free extra kills on the static objects or free removal of enemy minions.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #664 on: July 21, 2017, 07:05:25 AM »
The mage came close to killing me only because the minions damage the person who didn't kill them and the mage had volcanic potions, but yes, I still won with a top decked weapon.
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #665 on: July 24, 2017, 05:40:52 AM »
the mage had volcanic potions

Potions plural? That's interesting. In at least two games as mage I had a card that activated if my deck had no duplicates and it was active both times. This suggests there may be multiple mage decks one could get, possibly because Blizz tweaked the brawl mid-week.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #666 on: July 24, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
I might be misremembering
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #667 on: August 08, 2017, 02:50:58 PM »
Release date is the 10th but the patch with the data released today after maintenance. Update via WiFi is recommended. One card change did go through today, and people who bought the pre-purchase got their card backs.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #668 on: August 09, 2017, 06:40:58 AM »
They also changed any card that had the same ability as life steal to say life steal.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #669 on: August 24, 2017, 06:19:23 AM »
If you're going to play Arena there's a strong incentive to choose Mage or Warlock now. Blizzard implemented a "synergy" algorithm that lets you get cards early on that work together. Add to that the fact that the hero cards are SUPER powerful in Arena because deck power is generally much lower than constructed. Not all the new heroes are instant "I win" cards but some of them are, particularly mage and warlock.

In addition, mage and warlock hero cards are currently considered part of their class's "synergy" so you are much more likely to get those hero cards than any other class, especially in the first couple Arena picks.

This also has a knock-on effect making cards with "discover" mechanics more powerful, but the biggest effect is benefiting people who play Mage or Warlock from the start.

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #670 on: August 31, 2017, 05:17:40 PM »
this week's brawl has got be one of the worst ever.  There is a youtube video of some decks that can win on turn one before the opponent even gets a turn.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #671 on: September 05, 2017, 04:41:45 AM »
Makes me glad I played it before these exploits came out. I just used a standard midrange hunter deck and the guy who was trying to gimmick me quit. I like that Blizzard is experimenting with new things, but I wish they'd use something other than the brawl for playtesting.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #672 on: September 10, 2017, 07:09:45 AM »
Big nerfs coming. Blizzard finally decided to do something about druid but also clipped some other stuff. Overall I think it's going to have little impact on the existing meta which is right now dominated by jade druids and big (expensive) priests.

Innervate will generate 1 mana rather than 2; essentially now it's a counterfeit coin. I expect it to drop out of almost all decks. Rogues play CC to generate combos and sometimes to power up VanCleef. Without those motivations it's much less useful to druids. Although this will stop Jade druid from overpowering people in the first 5 turns it likely won't affect the deck's overall dominance.

Fiery war axe goes to 3 mana. This is AWFUL. If they'd made this change when pirate was still dominant I'd maybe hate it less but pirate is much less used these days and warrior does not have another Tier 1 (or maybe even Tier 2) deck type right now. Hurting a class that's already down seems like a poor choice. Biggest beneficiaries will be classes that rely heavily on 1/3 and 2/3 minions for early advantage like Priest and Mage. Warrior just doesn't have good alternatives for turn 2 play.

Hex goes to 4 mana. This is Blizzard pretending that someday Shaman will be playing the long game again, which is going to depend on a lot of other things. Hex is almost completely unused nowadays anyway, so this change will have little effect.

Murloc Warleader no longer gives +1 health. Important and necessary change. Blizzard are constantly putting out things that give +health and then backing them out and this is long overdue. Murlocs have lots of other health buffs already and with the appearance of new low-power AOEs the warleader was defeating too many other things.

Spreading Plague goes to 6 mana. A hard counter to every aggro deck, now same cost as blizzard but much more effective since druids have even more ways to buff their board. I would have supported making this 7 mana. Kibler did a video recently in which he pointed out that this card punishes players for doing what they naturally ought to do, play minions, and thus is bad game design. The only other card in game that does that is Hounds and that creates a bunch of easy-to-kill 1/1. This change will likely kill some variants of the new Druid taunt-buff deck but will end up helping Jade because people will go back to playing the natural Tier 1 deck type of that class.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #673 on: September 11, 2017, 05:20:30 AM »
And Blizzard have agreed to back out the "synergy" modifier in Arena, which I noted was vastly favoring Mage and Warlock. I think this is a halfway step and they should have outright banned the Death Knight cards from Arena but I can see how people want to play with the new toys and that step would've been unpopular. The ability to Discover these cards will still favor classes that have such mechanics.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #674 on: September 18, 2017, 03:39:30 PM »
To my surprise, these changes went live today. There had been talk Blizzard would wait until the current round of tournaments was over, but I guess not.

Warrior is in a terrible position now and it's going to be even harder on new players who have only basic cards with which to make decks.