Author Topic: World of Warcraft Classic  (Read 825 times)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: World of Warcraft Classic
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2018, 10:03:16 AM »
Blizzard is going to have a demo of WoW Classic at Blizzcon, and the demo will also be available to virtual ticket holders.  This could affect the price of the WoW token, though probably only briefly.

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/22551243

Leah

• Boomcop Posse Friend
  • Professional Meter Maid
« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2018, 05:20:08 PM »
The biggest pieces of news regarding Wow Classic were that it will be free with a paid subscription to the mainline game and that they're targeting next summer for a release date. Supposedly there were all sorts of issues with leftover bits of UI and under the hood mechanics during the playable demos but they've got plenty of time to work those out. According to Lore, sharding will be a part of the game to ensure that there are others to play with and make it feel like a full world and that's been hit with the expected criticism.

I maintain my view that playing the game will be a fun thing to visit now and then but I can't imagine that it will be as popular as some are predicting. I view the majority of the core mechanic changes that have happened over the years as an evolution of the game to make it more enjoyable. I miss the old talent trees because I found them quite fun but I'm decidedly not looking forward to staying in SW spamming for groups as an example.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2018, 06:56:34 PM »
According to Lore, sharding will be a part of the game to ensure that there are others to play with and make it feel like a full world and that's been hit with the expected criticism.
What he said was much less commital than that: https://us.battle.net/forums/wow/topic/20769548630#15 .  Sharding might or might not be in.  He also ruled out CRZ; sharding does not help with ensuring that there are others to play with, only ensuring that there aren't too many.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2018, 07:52:05 PM »
It looks like some details surfaced at a blizzcon panel, going by Blizzard's recap.

* 16 debuff limit
* Auto-completion of mail recipients and opening all mail has been left in
* The ability to trade BOPs within a time window has been left in.  (I think the core audience will hate this, since it encourages people to roll need and then trade items to friends; from Blizzard's perspective the alternative is fielding a lot of tickets to do roughly the same thing.)
* They are still evaluating the addon API.  They do not want to roll all the way back to 1.12 as they anticipate people would do far too much automation; at the same time, the modern API is probably too generous in other ways such as social features.
* Raid content will be released in four stages, not all at once.

There was nothing in this post about sharding, but in the WoW Q+A panel I think they said they might use it for a couple of weeks at launch and then take it out.  (I would imagine that they could also set the sharding limits pretty high if their only goal is to keep the servers running smoothly, as opposed to keeping quest areas from being overpopulated.)

https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/news/22646759

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2018, 08:26:38 PM »
I was really curious about raid staggering; glad to see they're gating or people would get through stuff way too fast. (Sure with 2 loots per boss for 40m it'll take a while to gear people, but the heavy lifting of strat prep is done, and MC/BWL are already nerfed from their classic versions by 1.12 talents and the extra debuff slots.)

16 debuff slots from the beginning also means one shadow priest/40m will be viable the whole way through instead of just at the end, so get ready to fight for your single raid spot to buff the warlocks, boys.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:30:06 PM by Honorata »
WoW: Vantarus | Theene | Keana | Coriandra | Honorata
Discord: Honorata#8760