Author Topic: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)  (Read 60045 times)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« on: October 04, 2013, 12:37:12 PM »
Sorry if there is already a thread for this, I did a quite search but didn't see anything.

I got a hearthstone beta (and consequently a battlenet desktop beta) and thought I would start a thread for anyone else who are trying these out.   I'm still downloading so I don't have any revelations yet.
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
Re: Hearthstone (and battlenet desktop)
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2013, 01:41:50 PM »
After playing for a bit.... you may not see me playing anything else for a while.
Cree (Dr 110) Haikili (Sh 102) Eep (Ma 93) Elisya (Dk 81) Maxine (Pa 85) Urusai (R 90) Gihr (H 83) Nikolievna (Wk 100) Anae (Pr 99) Ressha (Wr 76) Mayu (Mo 36) Adali (DH 110)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2013, 08:18:47 PM »
I have been beta-testing the battle.net desktop launcher for some time and like it. I have applied for Hearthstone beta but not gotten in.

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2013, 03:55:02 PM »
Do Arena! it's good value and fun.
o/\o

Andraax

• Adjective Noun Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 08:26:46 AM »
Can anyone compare Hearthstone to Solforge?

-Andraax

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2013, 01:34:34 PM »
Though it's a bit biased, Brian Kibler can. He brings up some good points that I believe will keep Hearthstone on the casual end of online TCGs (not necessarily a bad thing!)

- The interface is very polished, and games are fun to watch
- The tutorial is very long and sloggy, and is unskippable. This is good for players new to CCGs, but for veterans, it's unnecessary (Leveling in Hearthstone is similar to leveling in WoW, big surprise!)
- Hero abilities contribute to a lot of sameness in games
- Being forced to use every card you draft in Arena will stifle innovation, and incentivize players to draft relatively vanilla decks of good individual cards rather than trying for synergy or rogue strategies (a hallmark of a "classic" or "deep" MTG draft format)

Personally I'm excited for Hearthstone, as its interface, network infrastructure, and gameplay are more polished than Solforge. I expect, after they get through a lot of technical kinks and release the full game, Solforge is a better long-term bet.

(I just need to find a deck that beats Shapers/Savants...and I'm not that innovative.)
o/\o

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2013, 07:36:31 PM »
So here are my thoughts now that I've gotten over my giddy stage.

It's a little weird to never have to be entering my password into WoW or hearthstone.   I do like how this speeds up switching games.  I like the battlenet desktop a lot in general (though it doesn't really change THAT much about the end user experience.)

Hearthstone seems to be a solid TCG.  I don't think it's going to blow anyone away with novelty, but it's fun and fairly polished.   I also really like that it will be free to play and possible to play with out paying at all.

The arena is the place to spend gold, not directly on packs.  It's kind of fun to have to work with the deck that you get to make out of cards you haven't necessarily collected.  So far I've gotten a pack every time, even though I never win in the arenas for some weird reason.

I like that the daily quests force you out of your comfort zone and make you play one of two classes. I don't have all the classes leveled, so it's a little annoying to play with an unleveled class, but not horribly.

I don't see anyway to challenge a friend, but maybe I'm missing it.  If you can't that's a bit of a draw back.

I have a feeling that when it goes live, you'll get a bit of the problem that I'm seeing with pet battles.  You'll run in to the same strats over and over and you'll know that some of them you just can't beat with the deck you have.

I still like it, but I'm no longer quite as addicted. some of that might be because it's still in beta and I know I'll loose my progress.  I am enjoying that I'm start to feel like I actually understand what 's going on better. (Though I still sometimes attack myself by accident.)

If you do play, don't forget to play with the board when you are bored.   

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2013, 10:32:16 PM »
I like to think of myself as a decent TCG and Limited player. I don't enjoy constructed Magic, so I wish I could just completely avoid the "Play" section as I'm always just going to be smashed by someone's much better deck.

However, I find Arena surprisingly frustrating. I felt like I drafted a C+ average Druid deck with some nice tricks, but came away with only 1 win. My losses don't seem to be stemming from play skill on either side, rather coming from strict variance.

I like how smoothly the draft goes, even if there's no sideboard and sometimes you just get a stinker set of choices. I like how quickly a game goes and how the 1-game rounds speed things up even further, and especially how the mana crystal system mitigates the variance quite a bit. However, I feel like I get boned by getting out-drawn a lot, or by someone getting a bomb rare out and me never seeing mine (or never getting any).

I'll keep plugging away, but I'm not really loving it. Maybe I'm just not interested in spending $1.99 (or time spent with dailies getting 150g) to lose 3 times and get a pack I'm not going to use for anything since it can't buy me back into the Arena. Maybe I'd like it more if I were willing to dump a ton of money on it.
o/\o

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2013, 12:57:38 AM »
I like to think of myself as a decent TCG and Limited player. I don't enjoy constructed Magic, so I wish I could just completely avoid the "Play" section as I'm always just going to be smashed by someone's much better deck.

The matching system, after it gets a feel for your deck, should mostly avoid this.    I have been wondering if the arena has a smaller pool and the matching system doesn't work as well or if arena's aren't matched.

You might try other classes as well. I started as a rogue, but I've being coming to enjoy Shaman because even if you have nothing good to play, you can always summon a totem.  Bloodlust can also be devistating if you've managed to keep enough minions on the board.

I've found that I've learn a lot about the feel of the tempo and gotten much better at feeling more in control over what's going on.   That's  not to say I stomp everyone I meet, but I'm ok with that.

I've lost a lot in the arena, but I'm finding the game it self interesting enough that I mostly view it as a more fun way to get my pack from my 150 gold, even if I loose three in a row. (I got three whole wins today!)   I also kind of find that you can get some very weird decks, which is sometimes good, sometimes bad.  I got three frost armor cards today in my arena deck today, for instance.

I never played much magic, so I could see someone who has seen it all not enjoying it as much.  

I like the crafting system idea, too, even though I've only played with it once.  The idea that if there is a card you really want and you have many cards you don't want, you can turn the unwanted cards into the one you want.

I am hoping that live will see a regular schedule of the addition of new cards. I'd like to see more a variety in what gets played in the long term.  

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:58:36 PM »
I agree that the crafting system is one of the best "trading" systems in any game I've ever played. I love that I can just find the card I want/need for a deck and just "buy" it with other cards. Once my collection gets big, I can always just dust my excess or terrible cards (Eye for an Eye, I'm looking at you!).

My last post was, if you couldn't tell, while I still had some frustration about my Arena performance. I did in fact make a few play mistakes and misinterpret my role as beatdown/control (from a very classic MTG article, if you can get past the outdated card/deck references). I'm definitely not a perfect player-however, correctly playing these mistakes would not have won me the matches.

I think I just need to work on my drafting skill and stop hoping play will make up for it.
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #10 on: October 22, 2013, 09:27:42 AM »
Linkdump on Arena:

Guide on the official forums-a good intro to Advanced Topics: http://us.battle.net/hearthstone/en/forum/topic/9742094161

Top player's neutral card rankings: http://ihearthu.com/trumps-arena-card-rankings/
YMMV, but it shows that some good-looking cards (Raid Leader, Core Hound) are actually quite weak.

Video podcast with a long segment breaking down the Paladin class cards (they'll talk more on other classes in future eps): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6RS1qUzWhk#t=873
o/\o

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #11 on: October 22, 2013, 01:52:23 PM »
Here's the host being coached by top players Kripparian and Trump through a draft: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-aHz70XxiE

And here's the games he plays with the deck. His play isn't super tight, but the draft helped him a lot. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JmbKOJiwCw
o/\o

Cree

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: October 22, 2013, 08:38:36 PM »
Wow, I picked ALL the wrong cards while watching that.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2013, 07:49:54 AM »
You may have seen this already, but apparently Blizzard issued Hearthstone beta keys to anyone who was in the battlenet desktop beta.

If you did not get an email with a beta key you might want to check your spam folders.

bleunienn

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2013, 02:43:04 PM »
You may have seen this already, but apparently Blizzard issued Hearthstone beta keys to anyone who was in the battlenet desktop beta.

If you did not get an email with a beta key you might want to check your spam folders.

I have not gotten such an email, even in my spam folders, and furthermore the last desktop beta update seems to have broken the app.  When I try to launch WoW the app crashes.