Author Topic: Korkron Dark Shaman  (Read 1217 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Korkron Dark Shaman
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:56:36 AM »
Okay, we killed this on 10m earlier, and I don't totally understand what our strat was because it seemed to involve tank shenanigans and kiting, but our priest frapsed it, so I'll post the video for you guys when he gets it posted.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Korkron Dark Shaman
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 05:11:58 AM »
Here's the 10m kill vid:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DIIoO8r9s1w

basically we set up three markers in a triangle formation and kited the boss from marker to marker while we handled the slimes.

we used lust when the shamans use lust (~25% health?), although some guides say to top lust.

we killed this on 25m tonight, although it was a very messy kill.

i took clemency for this fight for our kill, but i think i might prefer purity on future kills.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 05:21:09 AM by Honorata »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2013, 11:46:35 AM »
After watching the video, a little more detail on this strategy:

* The three marks are on the far outside of the fight area, and indicate roughly where the tanks are going for each move.  As you look at the boss's door from the middle of the area, one is left of the door, one is right, and one is behind you.

* The bosses seem to consistently cast stream -> geyser -> wall, which marks the time to move.  The Kardris tank should move immediately, while the Haromm tank waits to orient the wall correctly and then catches up.  In the steady state, the bosses are tanked together to allow cleave damage.  (But this means that melee might have some downtime when geyser is about to cast, since they have to get away.)

* There isn't a lot of time between streams/geyser casts, so there's a lot of movement.  Still, by the time you come back to a mark, most of the crap is gone from that area.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 08:31:26 PM »
I got a chance to be melee DPS for this strat a few days ago, and it really sucks as melee because you are pretty much constantly moving. (This fight in general kind of sucks with a melee-heavy group though.)

I have seen some people talking about using three tanks for this fight. (I guess one for the taunt swap mechanic on the one shaman, and the other to tank the other shaman elsewhere? I still don't totally get the mechanics on this fight aside from "don't stand in poo, heal things.") Not sure how viable this is for 10m though.

Also, as you can see from what we did with a melee-heavy comp on the video, while ideally you want ranged doing slimes, you can have a frost DK on slimes with Howling Blaaaaaugh if that works better with your comp.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2013, 02:50:29 AM »
We did this without really changing the strategy, but we happened to have no melee DPS in the group last night.  We did note that the Kardris tank controls the spawn locations of the foul slimes.  You have to be moving to avoid getting killed, but you can zigzag your way kind of slowly towards the next spawn point in order to get them to spawn in a smaller radius.

I'm not sure why you'd want three tanks on this fight.  On Naz'grim we kind of wanted two tanks on the boss and one on adds, but that would be a lot of lost DPS.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 03:23:47 AM »
I'm not sure why you'd want three tanks on this fight.  On Naz'grim we kind of wanted two tanks on the boss and one on adds, but that would be a lot of lost DPS.

We were talking about this strat for shamans in my raid tonight and basically, the point is to let melee just sit there and tunnel instead of having to run around the whole fight. You have two tanks take the enhance shaman boss (Haromm I think?) off to a corner somewhere where the melee can just tunnel him. They taunt swap as usual. The third tank kites the caster shaman for slime purposes. It does remove the ability to cleave the bosses, though, but higher uptime for the melee on the one boss may out-pace the dps loss of not being able to cleave. Of course, you're also losing the dps of whichever poor melee you've asked to tank for the fight as well. Apparently it's not an uncommon strat (at least in 25m) though.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2013, 03:25:58 AM by Honorata »

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 06:21:04 AM »
Having been melee DPS for the shamans fight using the marker strategy last night I found it difficult.  I exploded twice because the adds came up inside the pile.  With the marker strategy, where should the adds appear?

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 06:54:07 AM »
The foul geyser adds are mortar-fired at the Kardris tank, who needs to be in motion to avoid getting killed by them.  If the tanks are predictable and prompt, the melee should be able to stay on Haromm without getting killed by the adds, but this requires more practice and coordination than we had last night, so we had a lot of melee DPS deaths.  If your tanks aren't consistently keeping the adds away from Haromm, then you need to run away to somewhere safe for each foul geyser and then come back to a boss when you can tell where the adds are landing.

(I'm assuming that the correct tank behavior is for the tank on Haromm to hold back for a bit to orient the ashen wall properly, and for the tank on Kardris to start moving as soon as the geyser goes off and then zigzag towards the next marker when the adds start firing.)