Author Topic: Malkorok  (Read 944 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Malkorok
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:28:53 AM »
Only got a few pulls in on this, but it was on 10m.

We experimented a bit with dealing with his conal attack + Breath of Ysaarjh, and what we found worked best was splitting the area where you fight him into quarters. Two quarters we assigned as "it's ok to stand in" and the other two we assigned as "don't stand here." He will place the conal attacks in the first two quarters, so you can move to the safe zones after the third conal attack and be safe for breath without having to place markers in the middle of the fight.

Three healing feels like a must on this fight unless DPS is too low to make enrage.

Did not see much of P2 to say anything on the subject.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:37:37 AM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Malkorak
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 02:31:07 AM »
Aside, holy pally mastery seems to function oddly with the absorb mechanic on this fight. It was only like 8-10% of my healing, rather than the 20-25% it is usually (I use a haste build), so you may want to gear specifically for this fight away from mastery.

(Similarly, since people should be kept at high health + absorb, shaman mastery is also probably fairly crap on this fight and shamans may want to gear away for it just for this fight.)
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 02:34:51 AM by Honorata »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Re: Malkorok
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2013, 02:23:38 AM »
Ok, what we ended up doing for breaths was having the tank pay attention to where to be and everyone stacking parallel to the tank (in front of boss) for breaths. this also got us in a good habit for the transition from p1 to p2 where everyone needs to stand on the tank for cleave damage.

we also had some lag issues due to healing early in the fight, but idk if you'll run into this in 10m (we didn't in our 10m test runs).

def want to assign a healer to babysit tank shields.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2013, 07:42:34 PM »
We used world markers for the breaths.  They can be macro'd to "/wm 1" through "/wm 3".  ("/cwm all" clears all markers if you want that.)  I wasn't able to heal and mark, but one of our other healers was.

Assigning rest positions for people turned out to be the right answer on 10s.  Otherwise we were missing too many void zones or having four people pile into them.  I assigned ranged DPS to the points of the compass (NE, NW, SE, SW) since we had four, and healers to three of the cardinal directions.

The base UI frame frames adjusts its display to take into account the shielding somehow (we're really not sure exactly how), but custom raid frames do not.  If you use grid, make sure you can see the debuffs "Weak Ancient Barrier", "Ancient Barrier", and "Strong Ancient Barrier" and heal people accordingly.

When the void zones go up, it seems like one of them is always pretty close to the boss (inside the grating ring), while the other two are farther out.  The offtank can be assigned to handle the close void zone so that all of the healers and ranged are available for the far ones.

The two biggest healing pressure points on this fight were:

* Getting shields up from scratch on the pull and after the first bloodrage.  We started the pull grouped to get off a few quick group heals, but you have to spread out quite fast before the first seismic slam.

* The second bloodrage.  +25% damage, some of your healers might be OOM, you might be behind on shields because of the higher damage in the second phase 1, and some of your cooldowns might not be available.  Save some of your better cooldowns for this phase and try to muscle through the first one without them.  Alternatively, try to beat this bloodrage through higher DPS; we had the boss as low as 4% before it happened.

As a resto shaman, the glyph of chaining was really powerful for this fight, but I did have to alternate chain heals with other stuff (riptide or healing surge, typically).

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2013, 04:40:12 AM »
Does anyone know how damage reducing cooldowns interact with the shields and void zones?  Mistweavers have fortifying brew and zen meditation, which seem like they ought to be useful.

This is the fight where Blizzard rewards people still playing with a vanilla UI.  Maybe.

I displayed the second right action bar on my UI and put the four raid mark macros there.  I angled my camera so that I could see and mark as he's casting the breath (looks like a smash to me, with the dust clouds.)  After he casts the breath there's not much time to get the mark down before the visual effect fades.

The arc is really wide, so getting the mark near the center of the arc is important.  I was placing them on the first grating around the boss, which is also where the raid was standing.

DBM tells you which breath you're on, and I've numbered my macros.  This was good because I kept losing count.  It was especially good when I forgot to clear the markers between rounds.

Soothing mist is channeled, so I could place a marker while casting that.  Sometimes the target of the mist would move, which would result in the marker being out of position by a yard or two.  (Since the raid was grouped on the first grating around him, the breath was almost always in my field of view despite facing changes due to soothing mist.)

Edit:  default UI now fixed to work like grid.

I use the default UI for healing.  Grid may be better for this fight.

What I was seeing near the start of the fight looked a little like Blizzard had doubled our health pool.  Sometimes, people would take enough damage to drop their shields.  When that happened, their health bar dropped.  I could then (apparently) heal them back to full health, at which point I (apparently) started healing their shield from red to yellow to green.

It may be that instead of lowering the max health and applying healing to the shield of a character, the default UI (apparently) lowers the max *shield* and (apparently) applies healing as described above.  This might explain the weird feeling I sometimes get later in the fight that things aren't working the way I expect them to.

I haven't found any bug reports on the default UI, but I did find complaints from people whose UI's have trouble distinguishing between the red, yellow and green shield states.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 05:22:07 PM by HeidiB »