Author Topic: General Nazgrim  (Read 1111 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
General Nazgrim
« on: September 17, 2013, 02:25:32 AM »
Got brought in on my raid team's 10m and saw this fight. He was pretty easy for us after the madness that was Dark Shamans.

Healing is pretty light if you manage his rage right. We 2 healed it easily. War Song hurts, but even that's not too bad if you only get a few. Just make sure you're aware of his rage and keep people topped off if it's coming. BoP is also a lifesaver here.

We saved heroism for when he went into zerker stance at low health.

The main issue for us was managing the adds during the burn phase. Blinding Light is nice. Stun macros are nice, etc.

Make sure to keep the shamans far from him. The spinny adds can be tanked near the boss to be cleaved down, though.
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: General Nazgrim
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 08:12:06 PM »
There seem to be two notable pressure points on this fight in normal 10s.

First, about four minutes before berserk, the adds start coming in a little faster, and it's easy to get behind.  In addition to not making much progress on the boss, you could also have a mage up for long enough to get stacks and start doing some major damage, or a shaman could get a heal off.  [ETA: Adds seem to come in waves of three instead of two below some health level; this is why they seem to pile up.  Also, there's a big summon at 10% that I didn't know about when I wrote this post.]

Second, one minute before berserk he comes out of defensive stance and a group of adds appears that you can't afford to kill.  The shaman needs to be kept away from the boss at all costs, and the mage will start killing pretty quickly unless you can control it without wasting much DPS time.  Depending on how much you need to burn, you can just push through and let some people die.

We three-healed this fight on all of our attempts, but I agree that it's probably easier with two--adds will die faster and it's easier to avoid having that burn phase at the end.  [ETA: You can't really avoid the final burn because of the big wave of adds at 10%.]

On our first few attempts the boss was getting ravagers off and we didn't know why.  It turned out the problem was bad tank swaps, which is less obvious than some of the other screwups you can make.  When the OT goes to get adds, come back as soon as the shaman is dead and resume the tank rotation.  [ETA: We stopped offtanking warshamans; see next post.]

We found it more manageable to tank assassins than kite them.  Make sure the marked person is facing them and throw on some shields or hots or an earth shield or something.  Don't root them or they could hit someone you don't expect.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2013, 07:25:25 PM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2013, 07:23:41 PM »
If you read the icy-veins writeup of this boss, it will not tell you (currently) that Nazgrim summons a large wave of adds at 10%, independent of his timer-driven calls for 2-3 adds.

The right thing to do at this point is burn the boss.  When you're first learning the fight, you're probably doing a burn just because of the berserk timer, but when you come back with better gear you might be tempted to try to fight the 10% add wave, which is a losing proposition.  I wasted a ton of raid time on Wednesday because of this.

So, once you get the boss to <15% with no adds up, DPS should all go on the boss and you should stop worrying about his rage (ignore banners, hit him in defensive stance, whatever).  The offtank should go and keep warshamans away from the boss, as it is not important to tank swap during the burn.  We are also saving heroism for this part of the fight now.

We decided to stop tanking warshamans with the OT and just tank them with DPS.  When adds come in, our offtank's job is limited to picking up ironblades and bringing them back to the boss, limiting the amount of time they are away from the tank swap rotation.  Ironblades don't move very quickly, so we tell DPS not to hit ironblades until they have been brought back.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2013, 06:24:50 AM »
We've discovered something very similar (though we're still in flex mode).  I think Blizz snuck in that extra add wave to make this guy more challenging because I don't recall the adds spawning.

We try to use someone (DPS) with a lockdown ability to keep shaman away from the boss during burn phase. Frost nova, hunter trap, etc.  Otherwise (we found out the hard way) he runs up and drops a healing totem.

We do try to off-tank the Ironblades because they have a nasty habit of going for healers if left alone.  They can be dodged, but healing on the run is a lot less effective for most of us.

Raylen

• Cerulean Nights Member
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 12:21:53 PM »
I have seen multiple ideas on this so I thought I would just toss this out here.

https://twitter.com/WatcherDev/status/426446782168440833
Pets/guardians do not cause Nazgrim to gain rage while in Defensive Stance.

Watcher is the lead encounter designer for WoW.