Author Topic: Galakras (Siege of Orgrimmar)  (Read 2733 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Galakras (Siege of Orgrimmar)
« on: September 13, 2013, 04:03:15 AM »
Only have a few pulls in on this one, and haven't gotten past P1 yet. (Wiped a couple times around miniboss 3/4 in P1.) Most of our wipes were due to Bonecrushers getting through and killing Varian or Vareesa.

Specific paladin recommendations:
- spec fist of justice and make a macro to stun the bonecrushers.
- probably go clemency for this fight (not 100% if you can bop the npcs, but other hand spells seem to work on them.
- don't cast unglyphed hand of sacrifice on one of the npcs when there's a bonecrusher on them. you will die and everyone will be sad. (i really need to get that glyph. i've killed myself with sac during raid like three times in the last two weeks.)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 04:09:55 AM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

Tweed

• Three Rivers Member
  • Cupcakes Member
  • Energy. Power. My people are addicted to it.
Re: Galakras (Siege of Orgrimmar)
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2013, 07:02:34 AM »
A/K/A, "The Lamest Siege Ever," A/K/A, "The Alliance Threw a Siege and No One Came," A/K/A, "Why Didn't We Bring Any Of Our Dragons? We Have Dragons, Right? I Mean, I Have Like Twenty In My Bag Alone."

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2013, 07:57:36 AM »
My other group beat this pretty easily in Flex last night.  We had about 18 people. The fight seems to favor overhealing (I think we used five healers?) because the enrage timer is so relaxed. Priest shields utterly rewl in this fight. We designated 8 people (1 tank, 2 healers, 5 DPS- 4 ranged, 1 melee) as the tower team and had them go for it as soon as it opened up.  Once the tower was clear they rejoined the big pack until it was time to clear the second tower.

We designated one melee with good self-heals (me, as it happened) to stay near the NPC spawn point and pick up archers and casters that wouldn't move on their own.  Everything else was grouped up in Jaina's frost ring/blizzard for mass AOE. We did not use the blizzard on our first attempt and wiped. It appears that the blizzard slows the NPC's attacks as well as movement, so using it made a big difference.

Macros to target the banners and interrupting the hell out of shaman helped. The siege engines are wimpy in flex - 3 DPS blew them up quite rapidly.  The entire page of Icy Veins strategy can be boiled down to "kill everything that spawns, very quickly."  That said it did not seem to be a strain on DPS.

For the boss we flipped it so its tail was to the NPCs, with one tank in front and one on the side, swapping at 3-4 stacks.  Melee grouped up behind it at max melee range along with 2 tank healers.  Second group of all ranged and rest of the healers stood about 30 yards behind that.  Fire balls spawned fast, but nobody died because the balls hit everyone.  Healers were able to out-heal the fire DOTs.

Brynndolin

• Cupcakes Member
  • Frequently wrong, never in doubt
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 10:52:08 AM »
A/K/A, "The Lamest Siege Ever," A/K/A, "The Alliance Threw a Siege and No One Came," A/K/A, "Why Didn't We Bring Any Of Our Dragons? We Have Dragons, Right? I Mean, I Have Like Twenty In My Bag Alone."
:)

Next time you want to throw a siege the *right* way, hire Tweed. And don't let anyone show up in those heinous Timeless pieces, GAWD.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 11:09:28 AM »
I'm still trying to figure out how best to handle phase 2 (in both flex and normal).  The constraints seem to be:

* If not enough people touch the fireballs, they do too much damage on impact and you wipe.

* If everyone touches the fireballs every time (or everyone except tanks), everyone's DOT will stack up, which probably overwhelms healing throughput on normal, and possibly on flex depending on comp.

Vox's video suggested (but they had not actually tried!) having the whole raid take most fireballs, except for a rotation of people who step outside of the path to drop their DOT stack.  (I think missing one fireball is enough to drop your stack, but I'm not sure).  That seems like a lot of movement, especially for people who get targeted while dropping their stacks.  But if only a few people are dropping their DOTs at a time, then each fireball will touch most of the raid and won't do much impact damage, which is good.

I was thinking of having two fireball groups and alternating fireballs between them, either by letting the RNG do its work or by forcing a strict alternation by having people run from one path to the other.  Individuals wouldn't have to move as often, but each fireball would only touch half of the raid and would therefore do much impact damage.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2013, 06:39:51 AM »
It was our experience (flex) that missing one fireball was not enough to drop stacks.  They seemed to come quite often.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2013, 08:43:29 AM »
TRR has been working on phase 1 in normal for a while.  It's pretty rough at ~540 ilvl; nothing seems impossible, but it's really easy to lose people for one reason or another, and it's pretty much a wipe after you run out of combat rezzes, or if the tank or healer gets knocked off a tower.

I found this thread on mmo-champion discussing the timing of tower groups.  Some of initial strategies I saw would send the tower team in while the ground miniboss was still up, leaving the ground team to to finish the miniboss and kill the demolisher while the tower team eats stuns.  This does not seem viable without very strong DPS; the miniboss stays up too long and kills the ground team, and the demolisher stays up too long and kills the tower team.

More recently I lean towards the slower strategy mentioned in post #3 of the thread, where you kill the demolisher and then send in the tower teams.  The main difficulty we're having with that (apart from people getting knocked off) is the ground team getting killed during tower #2, partly because the healer is having to move so often for flame arrows.  Even if the tower team tries to focus down the flameslingers first (which I think is not actually the best choice), they have a ton of health.

The same post also recommends waiting for a break between add groups (usually right after a pair of protodrakes) before bringing down Galakras.

Some groups in that thread talk about sending larger tower teams up--in some cases even the whole raid.  It seems like bonecrushers will kill the NPCs if you're not fast enough on the towers, and you'd have a higher risk of people getting knocked off, but I might try that.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2013, 08:57:35 AM by Marco »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2013, 01:59:08 PM »
For my team, we send tower group up when demo is dead. I've also seen groups send when demo is at 20% health or something.

When our 10m team worked on this, they 2-healed (which it looks like you're doing) and left the resto druid with the ground team, and sent our holy/disc priest (not sure what spec he was for the fight) to the towers. In any case, most mobile healer should be left on ground, which you are probably already doing.

We don't send an especially large group to the towers in 25m. More than 5 people, but nowhere near half the raid. (I suspect dealing with towers is overall easier in 25m though.) We leave all DKs on the ground, but otherwise send mostly melee to towers.

I'm looking at your logs, and your DPS seems a little lower than our 10m was (lowest non-tank was ~188k, highest was 220k), which is mostly a gear thing, I think, but I'll see what else I can kind out from our 10m.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2013, 04:02:50 PM »
Any tips on dodging the miniboss' special attack for those on the tower team?

Most of the time I see the smoke and dodge out of the attack, but at one point I saw the smoke as I was being blown off the tower (my 'net connection sucks).  Does the miniboss' facing telegraph the cone of his special, or does he pivot before doing the special?

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 11:07:18 PM »
I haven't gone up the tower in normal mode, but I asked some of the guys I know who do, and they say that even if you can't see the cone (and I've had this problem with that sort of ground effect going through the ground its on before, so it might not be your connection necessarily), the direction the miniboss is facing is the direction of the cone. (He'll pivot, and there will be a small wait and then he'll do the attack, I guess?)

They also suggested seeing if you can cheese it by hanging out more in the stairwell area (where you'd be just knocked back into the stairs) if you're having latency/connectivity issues.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2013, 03:42:50 AM »
Thanks!

I'm the healer, so cheese away!

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2013, 07:21:01 PM »
So this plan worked pretty well for us in phase 1 and got us a kill:

* Three healers
* Everyone into the first tower after the demolisher is dead, before the protodrakes come in.  NPCs kill the protodrakes.
* One tank hops into the AA cannon and shoots down protodrakes; everyone else comes down to fight Thranok's group.
* One tank, one healer, and two DPS break off to kill the second demolisher and then go up the right side tower.
* When the tower miniboss is dead, the tower healer goes back over to tower #1.
* Tower healer and tank shoot down Galakras after all trash is clear, which should happen when the next pair of protodrakes is killed.

Some important execution points which we didn't always get right at first:

* Bring the first tower miniboss over to the right side corner with the pair of flameslingers.  His first slash will then always be towards the base of the last flight of stairs, where no one is likely to be standing.
* Come out as a group after the first tower, using the stairs.  With the protodrakes up, there is a lot of random damage going out, and bringing yourself down to half health by jumping is not safe.  Being the only one outside the tower will also get you killed quickly.
* Focus fire tidal shamans whenever they appear in a group, including Thranok's group.  Use silences and interrupts to move them into the blizzard.  Kill healing tide totems and war banners ASAP.
* Thranok's group may arrive before the raid comes back from the tower.  People should group up briefly to help the tank pick stuff up.  (However, always move out when Thranok pulls people in.)
* It's hard to notice when Varian is getting fractured because he stands in melee.  A message appears in the chatlog and DBM gives a soft bing.  Try to have someone calling out fractures.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2013, 05:08:23 AM »
Dodging the first miniboss' special is easier if he only gets off one and the tank has aimed it away from you.  Yay sending the entire raid up the tower!

On our winning pull I reforged to trade crit for mastery.  The fire arrows are the only mechanic I've found for which the healing green marbles seem particularly useful.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 03:33:16 AM »
Heroic
Haven't killed this yet, but information:

- Assign one healer and DPS (pref ranged) to help deal with the grunt attacking your gnome engineer to make sure you cap towers. (More in 25m but I've heard one is enough in 10m) If your engineer dies and you have to start over, you will get overrun with adds. People doing this should not be on tower team as engineer for second tower spawns when your group is still working on first tower.

- Leave best cleave DPS classes on ground, send best single target DPS classes to towers.

- At least in 25m, if groups overlap, and in some later groups, you will get two shamans. This sucks. This sucks so bad.

- Cleave trinkets are OP as hell on this fight.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 09:52:44 PM by Honorata »

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2013, 08:16:07 AM »
More Heroic, still not dead:

- lots of damage going out when towers are up due to drakefire. Use raid CDs here. Try to stay moving as much as possible to avoid getting hit. Spread out during this part of the fight if you can. Sometimes drakefire will land where the miniboss with the chains/death grip thing, so you may want to drop an AMZ/PWB there while people get out.

- on ground, doing max overall damage > single targeting (outside of HTT, demo)

- for interrupts on shamans, chain heal is a must, but tidal wave also does a not insignificant amount of damage. Either set up an interrupt rotation or assign one interrupter to get heal casts and others pick up tidal waves when possible. Shaman will be up during aforementioned chains miniboss, so you will probably want at least one ranged interrupt/stun on the ground if a shaman tries to cast a heal while it's not safe to be in melee.