Author Topic: Sha of Pride (Siege of Orgrimmar)  (Read 1642 times)

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
Sha of Pride (Siege of Orgrimmar)
« on: September 13, 2013, 03:43:04 AM »
Got this boss down tonight. Overall, Flex is good practice for this fight. There are a few differences (in 25, all 3  locks need to be stood on on the prisons, for example; and two big adds spawn instead of one), but overall the fight is very similar. If you can get it on Flex, it shouldn't take you too long to get it on normal.

We 6 healed this encounter, so it's probably doable with 3 healers in 10.

We did the stack on the boss's butt strategy, which mostly worked out pretty well, although it took some people a while to get in the rhythm of stacking and spreading.

I found DBM timers very off for this fight (or he just has cooldowns on his abilities but doesn't cast them on CD?), so overall, I'd just recommend setting the boss as your focus so you can see his energy bar (Swelling pride when he's at max energy) and the cast bar for the prisons.

Some things that helped us:
- lock portal to one of the far prisons from where you're stacking can help a lot with getting people out of the prisons early. You may also want to specifically assign people with movement speed boosts to handle this mechanic.
- since your pride is reset when the boss is at 30% health, healers can take the time from ~40-30% (or from the last swelling pride before pushing him under 30%, i guess) to dispel people even without the titans buff.
- cooldown rotations for swelling pride (particularly during the burn phase) is very useful.

On a pally-specific note: you can bubble off the debuff without gaining pride, and I highly recommend speccing Purity for this encounter, since people will have debuffs for a very long time during the encounter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2013, 03:46:28 AM by Honorata »
WoW: Keana | Neraati | Honorata | Coriandra | Naian
Discord: Honorata#8760

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Sha of Pride (Siege of Orgrimmar)
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 06:36:06 AM »
On a pally-specific note: you can bubble off the debuff without gaining pride, and I highly recommend speccing Purity for this encounter, since people will have debuffs for a very long time during the encounter.

Presumably, this also means that the new version of unbreakable spirit (50% reduction in divine shield CD) would also be beneficial?

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 01:44:53 PM »

Presumably, this also means that the new version of unbreakable spirit (50% reduction in divine shield CD) would also be beneficial?

Yeah, I think our ret pally was running that for this fight and bubbling his debuff off; having high div prot uptime if you have the debuff and can't be dispelled also helps (especially if you have it when swelling pride goes out, since that ability really hurts in normal.) New unbreakable spirit is very good.

jsoh

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2013, 05:07:49 AM »
As it turns out, I preferred Hand of Purity for this fight rather than Unbreakable Spirit - at least for healing. Timed right, it can completely negate the damage from the debuff while cleanse is on CD.

(eg: 2 debuffs go out, one gets cleansed immediately. HoPurity the other, then cleanse).

Sacred Shield is also fairly useful to help mitigate debuff damage.

I dont know if I can check this from the logs, but it seemed to me that healers/tanks are never selected to be in prisons. Might have been an artifact of small sample sizes, but if true could significantly (in 10s, at least) simplify the handling of the prisons.

Last note (for now): Careful about cheating too much to get to the prisons. If you're at all touching any part of the lock (including the 'release' plates) when someone is imprisoned,  you'll be knocked back 5-6 yards. Not disastrous. Just annoying.

Honorata

• Cupcakes Member
  • SORRY CAPS
    • Twitter
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 05:10:31 AM »
yeah, purity is rad as hell for healers if someone has the debuff on them when swelling pride goes out too. lets them be healed up from the aoe instead of getting hit by a tick of the debuff, the aoe, and another tick of the debuff so fast they fall over dead.

Fallowgrey

• Boomcop Posse Member
  • All the feelz, all the healz
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 05:35:35 AM »
In one of the last Swelling Pride hits, hard crux points that they were proving to be, Marco had me (Disc) drop my PW:Barrier raid bubble on the grouped raid just before the cast finished.  At first I didn't get it, since we still needed to run out of the raid bubble immediate because of purple swirl hell.  So why drop it?  But it worked like a charm to allow us to group the purple swirl hell in one place without folks getting hurt by it and the AoE burst.  And the purple swirls clear fairly fast, so the bubble was still around for folks to run back under for a bit more prevention.
Alliance: Fallowgrey, Dwarf Priest / Evring, Nelf Druid / Arkibal, Human Paladin / Gayelette, Dwarf Shaman / Haikeebah, Pandaren Monk
Horde: Rinkitink, Belf Hunter
Misc:  Kikiaru, L51 Gnome Mage / Erzula, L9 Human Rogue / Zelbinion, L68 Worgen Warrior /  Sootandash, L100  Tauren Druid

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2013, 06:55:54 AM »
We got this fight down last night in 10s with three healers.  Some things we had to learn:

* If the raid is stacked up opposite Norushen (on the side where the manifestation appears), the prisons appear on the near left and far right.

* When people have 25-49 pride for swelling pride, they should stand still while the spell is cast, and then move right at the end of the cast when the purple patches appear.  If people move too early, the purple will be all over the place.

* The small adds sort of need to be tanked, though you can kind of get away without it.  The manifestations don't really seem to need it.  We used our OT (at any given time) to tank small adds, but didn't have them run away from the boss to tank the big add.

* With our DPS, we had one imprison and one swelling pride after 30%.  Both of these were difficult pressure points.  During the imprison, you have people out of range of each other and healers moving (unless you manage to avoid assigning any healers to prison teams somehow), so the AOE damage pulses can knock people down.  And the swelling pride is just a bunch of damage.  The key mitigations I found were (1) dispel more freely during this phase so that there are no marks of agony up during the imprison, and (2) use raid defensive CDs to mitigate the swelling pride hit.  Once you get through both of these, you're close to the finish line, so dispel freely and heal as mana-inefficiently as you need to to keep people up.

I don't think I was ever imprisoned as a healer except when almost all of the DPS were dead.  You could probably use the main tank and a designated healer on the far team, and the offtank and a few DPS on the near team, or something.

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 06:34:01 AM »
Our heroic strategy for this boss was:

* Two healers.  We did some pulls with three and it helps with avoiding random deaths (especially with regard to dispelling), but it likely means an extra cycle in phase 1 which is hard to manage.

* Group loosely around the raid mark behind the boss.  For our first few nights, we tried the Vox strategy of assigning people to different positions around the boss's hit box, but this seems to over-optimize for rifts at the expense of other factors, and we got the kill more readily with loose grouping.

* Everyone is encouraged to think about closing rifts (1) right after swelling pride before the adds, and (2) after prisons while the ranged DPS are killing the big add in back.  Both of these times are relatively long lulls where positioning is flexible.  Don't wander out of healing range with the debuff, and don't run far away from the raid before banishment.  Try to be back near the raid mark when reflection adds appear (though it's not critical as your adds will just run to the healers).

* We didn't have DPS killing the reflection adds; instead, we had the off-tank run over and pick them up.  They would die to tank cleave before the next set, and the vengeance helped our DPS.  Tanks aren't really threatened in this fight so the extra damage isn't a problem.

* Breaking people out of prisons quickly is important, or they can die pretty easily.  On our kill I prepositioned at the outer rune of the near prison for each imprisonment.  I didn't ask anyone else do to that (it was only our fourth pull of the night), so it was lucky I didn't get imprisoned.  You can stand right next to a rune without getting knocked back as long as you aren't inside the prison circle.  Tanks have to be ready for the prison so the off-tank can quickly get onto the outer rune on that side.

* It's not uncommon to lose someone to mark + swelling pride in phase 1.  People should use personal cooldowns if possible (many classes can have cooldowns ready for all three swelling prides given the length of the cycles), and ideally the raid should coordinate raid CDs.  3m CDs used on the first swelling pride should be back up for the third one.

* With two healers, expect three swelling prides in phase 1 and one in phase 2.  Tanks can let themselves get to 100 pride after the third swelling pride for extra damage; we did this on our kill with one tank by accident.