Author Topic: Megaera  (Read 1001 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Megaera
« on: July 02, 2013, 06:28:24 AM »
(Man I hope I spelled that right)

I didn't see a thread here for this boss and wanted to see if I could get some tips.  We appear to be running into a "too much crap on the ground" problem.

We're trying blue-red-blue-red-green-blue-red which I think is the order Aliena recommends in her vid. If someone wants to suggest a different order please do.

We get through the first four heads with generally not too much problem.  We run frost beams straight back, have the healers and ranged standing as far away as possible, and have a marker about 10 yards behind that point for "drop your fire puddles here". Rampage is not nearly as challenging as healing Tortos and we tend to come out of it with everyone at 80% or more health and healers with good mana.

However, when we hit the green head we seem to get a lot more fire and ice going and people start dying: either DPS takes too much damage or we have two healers running crap out and tanks die with only one healer trying to keep both up.

Is this another "kill things faster" problem or is there something else I'm missing?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2013, 06:41:48 AM by Marco »

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
Re: Megaera
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2013, 07:03:19 AM »
I fixed the spelling.

You're probably doing way too much blue, which was the same mistake I made going into this fight.  The strategies I have seen or learned about are:

* GRBGRBG: TRR went this way with four healers, after trying a bunch of other stuff.  Obviously, most groups don't have the option of four-healing, and the fact that we went this way is probably a result of me not understanding how to handle the abilities later in the fight.  But we still do it this way because wiping on Megaera wastes a lot of raid time.  Having four healers means we have a healer on each tank at the end even with double ice trails going out.

* GRGRGRG (like in LFR): Aliena's group and Fatboss both used this.  There will be a ton of raid damage after the third green head, and the blue tank will also be taking big hits.  But killing no blue heads means your healers and DPS are always online.

* GRGRBGR: BCP used this.  Vox Immortalis used a variation on it, GRGBRGR.  In this plan you kill just one blue head to reset the stacks and temper the amount of raw damage going out.

However you do it, you're going to be dealing with a bunch of crap towards the end of the fight.  You need to minimize the amount of damage and disruption they cause:

* Red: After rampage, have everyone spread out with ranged DPS as far back as possible and healers at least somewhat back, so you can dispel the debuff right away rather than waiting for people to run.  Melee can move forward and drop their patches at the inner edge; the heads have huge hitboxes so they shouldn't run out of space to melee in.

* Green: Spreading out helps with this as well.  Don't run too far away from a green; once you're about 20 yards from the impact point, the additional damage reduction won't be very significant.

* Blue: This ability does no damage, ideally, but there is no way to avoid the disruption; you're going to be stuck running for as long as it lasts.  Run straight back (as much as possible) to avoid messing up the play area more than necessary.

We use heroism on the last rampage.  I've heard groups advocate using it on the second-to-last rampage, but I don't understand the logic behind that.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2013, 10:55:49 PM »
On healing:  We 4-heal this fight, with two healers assigned to each tank.  (The tanks get separated, are standing in the breath, etc., and trying to keep both tanks in healing range led to whining.)  Be sure to face the heads away from the raid, and have the ranged position themselves out of the cone of the breath.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2013, 07:00:20 AM »
We managed a crazy first kill last night (6/10 alive, both tanks dead).  We went with 3 healers, BRBRBGBR order.  One melee, four ranged.  We sort of cheated by having the melee dump flame patches wherever he was standing and just moving a little to the side of them.  The reason we did BR at the end rather than the intended RB was because the melee got three cinders in a row and there was just too much crap on the ground where the tank wanted to stand.

Thanks to everyone who helped out.