Author Topic: The Kickstarter whoring thread  (Read 3706 times)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
Re: The Kickstarter whoring thread
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2014, 03:18:03 AM »
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/659943965/human-resources-an-apocalyptic-rts-game

I'm not usually a fan of RTS but "tentacle monsters" and "fully destructible environments" are two phrases that caught my eye.  It's a very ambitious goal ($1.4mm) that makes me think they understand what it will take to develop a big game.  Link in the Kickstarter to some third-party praise as well.

ETA:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/skyshinegames/bedlam

Another attempt to blend RTS and rogue-like mechanics.  Claims to be drawing inspiration from FTL and XCOM, two of my favorites.  I figure it's worth the $25 risk.  This one has a budget about 1/10th the other one, so if they both make it I'll be interested to see what the two look like.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2014, 03:54:38 PM by Snique »

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 10:11:50 AM »
Bedlam looks neat, but I know I can get it in a bundle.

Ahh, fuck it. I'll back it.
o/\o

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 10:39:01 AM »
I'm so thinking about Bedlam too, principally because I fell hard for Banner Saga.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 11:03:10 AM »
it's the same combat engine as TBS, but maybe the rest of what makes that game great will be missing. I usually wait till things like this are sub-$10, but it's so close to the goal.
o/\o

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 08:00:22 AM »
Looks like Uber cancelled Human Resources since it wasn't tracking to hit its target goal.  They had pretty lofty goals and had a successful Kickstarter for Planetary Annihilation.  However Kickstarter has recently lost its luster and the reality of crowd-funding is starting to sink in for a lot of people so they aren't able to generate quite the amount of money as they used to.   In addition Planetary Annihilation has generally received mixed reviews so folks might have lost a bit of confidence in the developer.  Also the whole "Wait, didn't you just make a successful game and you want our money AGAIN?"

It's interesting that they cancelled it even before time was up.  There's been layoffs in the wake of this as well. 

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #20 on: October 21, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
I'm of mixed feelings about this.  On the one hand, I think it's good that they would wholesale cancel rather than try to produce half a game on the funding they might get.  On the other, I'm sorry people lost their jobs.

I definitely do not feel the "Wait, didn't you just make a successful game and you want our money AGAIN?" thing.  If someone has made a successful game that inclines me slightly more toward giving them money because I have some level of trust they know what they're doing.  I rarely back a project for more than I'd be willing to pay for the game anyway, so sure, another $25 or whatever is fine by me.

Gwyddyon

• The Fired Lord
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 04:21:57 AM »
I expect the thing with Kickstarting is that your cash tends to be front-loaded rather than back-loaded; it's possible you saturate your market just with the pre-orders and so when it's released, not as many people buy it, so you need more seed-capital to start the next game.

Obviously there are exceptions (I expect the FTL and TBS developers are doing ok) but not everybody is going to be a resounding success.

I wonder how Wasteland 2 is doing? I want to get it, but upgrading hardware has drained the old discretionary fund for a bit.
Gwyddyon | Gwyllow | Gwyah | Gwystal | Eckhardt | Gwymbulvetr | Tethys | Gwynyang | Gwyabolic | Gwynchester

Edalia

• Red Velvet
  • Cupcakes Admin
« Reply #22 on: October 22, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »
If you compare Planetary Annihilation's pitch to its final product, I think you will see why people were skeptical of the Human Resources pitch. I don't think PA is a bad game-I just feel it's a little more unpolished and traditional than the pitch implied.
o/\o

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #23 on: October 22, 2014, 11:59:21 AM »
https://www.facebook.com/events/635096916601644/

There is a Boston-area meet-up tomorrow night for people who want to meet the local area developers of several Kickstarted games.  Details on the page.  I cannot go myself but figured I'd drop the URL here in case others were interested.

Kharvek

• Adjective Noun Moderator
« Reply #24 on: October 22, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
It's a weird business model since it relies very heavily on investment.  You need people to buy into your product before you make it so a lot more hangs on your reputation.  Planetary Annihilation generally didn't hit expectations people wanted...so they're more likely to want to see the finish product before buying in again.  They can't rely on that business since there isn't any confidence in them to release that kind of product.  It's a Catch-22 in a way.

FTL was generally universally loved and praised.  People would likely invest in them again in a heartbeat.  However they were also likely successful enough to pull in enough cash that they don't need to run another Kickstarter to get money.  They could launch their next game and brand it a bunch as "FROM THE CREATORS OF FTL" and generate some buzz.  They've earned confidence, but they've also made money.

Now lets say FTL folks wanna make a much bigger game and expand.  That confidence starts going away.  When the 5 man indie team suddenly expands to 40 people and wants to make a giant game?  I don't have a lot of confidence since they're suddenly on unproven territory. 

I'm definitely way more hesitant about what I kickstart these days.  I kickstarted FTL, Planetary Annihlation and Samurai Cop 2 the movie.  (Shut up)

I thought about kickstarting Bedlam but I wasn't completely sold on the little content they could offer up.  I enjoyed the artistic style of the game but they were very light on the specifics of the mechanics, which I suddenly find myself caring a lot more about for a product that isn't even out yet.

Seniummortus

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2014, 01:33:15 PM »
On the note of Bedlam, the early access game on steam right now is significantly meatier/polished and verging on the precipice of being worth the price of entry in its current state. At least IMO. I got it and I already feel like I got my moneys worth.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #26 on: November 03, 2014, 09:03:23 AM »
The developers who did Bioshock and Bioshock Infinite are trying to Kickstart funding for a new game with a similar aesthetic but more emphasis on story.  I am intrigued by the notion that the story choices players make will change the environment, so I'm backing this.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/theblackglove/the-black-glove

Black Glove is still about 70% off its funding goal, with only a few days to go.  I expect they won't make it despite getting promos from Bioshock's creator.  I'm disappointed but not heartbroken.

Abbi

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2014, 03:25:29 PM »
My friend C. E. Murphy is kickstarting a new urban fantasy book set directly after WW 2, Redeemer. You can read the first three chapters now, so you don't have to take my word for it, but I think she's an excellent writer. This will be her 21st novel, plus several short story collections and a graphic novel.

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #28 on: February 26, 2015, 10:00:19 AM »
If you remember and like the original Ultima Underworld dungeon-crawling games you might be interested in this reboot: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/othersidegames/underworld-ascendant

As I write, they're in the final week and less than 30k from the 600k goal.

HeidiB

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2015, 12:41:17 PM »
Be ready for winter with one of these fabulously expensive scarves, designed by free-range cellular automata!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/fbz/knityak-custom-mathematical-knit-scarves