Author Topic: WoW is dying!  (Read 7761 times)

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
Re: WoW is dying!
« Reply #90 on: February 13, 2019, 09:44:27 AM »
The layoffs came at the same time as the quarterly earnings call, which reported record profits and plans to grow the development teams for six games by 20% (including WoW, Overwatch, Hearthstone, and Diablo).  So this is more about restructuring than necessity, which has a lot of people upset.  Most of the affected positions I've heard about seem to be in the PR and community management area.

https://www.wowhead.com/news=290235/activision-blizzard-lays-off-8-of-employees-in-massive-restructuring

Except that is not what they said quoting from the ACTIVISION BLIZZARD ANNOUNCES FOURTH-QUARTER AND 2018 FINANCIAL RESULTS

The number of developers working on Call of Duty, Candy Crush, Overwatch, Warcraft®, Hearthstone and Diablo® in aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019.

Some of them could be going down while others go up  only thing we can say is there is going to be a aggregate will increase approximately 20% over the course of 2019. Also World of Warcraft is not listed just Warcraft which I believe is quite different.
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Marco

• Three Rivers Member
« Reply #91 on: February 13, 2019, 10:37:28 AM »
Some of them could be going down while others go up
They didn't mention Starcraft or Heroes of the Storm, so I think it was pretty clear that they want to increase investment in all six games, if not necessarily by a uniform 20% each.

Also World of Warcraft is not listed just Warcraft which I believe is quite different.
Do you think they're making a Warcraft 4?  Failing that, I don't see how it's different.  They already put out the remastered Warcraft 3; I guess they could do 1 and 2.

Piralyn

• Boomcop Posse Friend
« Reply #92 on: February 13, 2019, 11:34:55 AM »
Also reportedly a big hit to QA.... which ALSO seems like a real bad idea after the first two months of BFA but hey, again, I don't run a company.

**andius

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #93 on: February 13, 2019, 12:13:46 PM »
Some of them could be going down while others go up
They didn't mention Starcraft or Heroes of the Storm, so I think it was pretty clear that they want to increase investment in all six games, if not necessarily by a uniform 20% each.

The language in the report is about as clear as Blizzards patch notes and as they have never said how many people are involved in developing each game something we will most likely never find out.

Also World of Warcraft is not listed just Warcraft which I believe is quite different.
Do you think they're making a Warcraft 4?  Failing that, I don't see how it's different.  They already put out the remastered Warcraft 3; I guess they could do 1 and 2.

Could be a Warcraft 4 but I do not think so. I was thinking more along the idea of some Warcraft game for Mobile.

Also reportedly a big hit to QA.... which ALSO seems like a real bad idea after the first two months of BFA but hey, again, I don't run a company.

Yes the ship it now and fix the bugs/problems later seems to be getting everywhere :/

QA is not a luxury is it a necessity!! 
Andius (Hunter 120),Belandius (Priest 120),Dalandius (Warrior 110),Drandius (Shaman 110),Elandius (Rogue 113),Vandius (Mage 110),Deandius (Deathknight 110),Delandius (MoonKin Druid 110),Jinandius (Paladin 110),Shandius (Warlock 113) Kamandius (Monk 114), Ishandius (DH 120) Liandius LF Paladin (32)

Snique

• Cupcakes Member
« Reply #94 on: February 14, 2019, 06:35:05 AM »
My friend worked on a "support" team that did data analysis for the gaming teams and others as needed. Everything from spreadsheet mangling up to big database-level analytics. Like, how often was X used by how many people for how long, etc. She confirms the rumor that the severance was "generous".